Default OT Glad for Vonage!

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:05:08 GMT, Jack Goff wrote:

On 25 Aug 2006 07:34:09 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:
On 25 Aug 2006 04:50:11 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
basskisser wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
JohnH wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:17:38 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
This morning the phones in the neighborhood where I live were all out.
I didn't even know it, because I have comcast high speed and vonage! I
asked the Bellsouth Technician why he was checking the line in front of
my house, because I was going to tell him it's dead to my house because
I don't have Bellsouth. He said he was checking because some digital
device that serves the whole neighborhood went out, and they are trying
to restore service!!!

Wonderful. Our security alarm system sent out a letter recently advising
customers NOT to transfer to VOIP unless they leave a wired traditional
phone line in place or subscribe to a special, new, expensive cell service.

Wanna guess why?

The security company says it is working on a VOIP solution but so far,
it "is not reliable."
If the security company isn't reliable, I'd get a new one.

You've identified many reasons why you can't switch to VOIP. That's a
shame, and we all feel sorry for you.

Most of the major home security company connect lines do not work with
VOIP, I've since learned.

Why? The signal goes out of your house just exactly as it does with a
landline. Brinks works just great with VOIP

Well, despite advice to the contrary from Reggie and his boy Herring,
ADT says the following:

Perhaps you should change your security company to one that is up to
date and able to work with new fangled equipment!

What company is that, bass? The one you use? Who is it? I'm not
aware of any that say the use of VoIP phone service is approved.

Again, comprehension. In never said where ANY company said that VOIP is
"approved". For that matter, I just looked at my contract with my
security company, and it doesn't even say that Bell South is
"approved". Mine does, however work flawlessly with my VOIP.

And I never said that you claimed anything to be "approved". Those
were my words, understand? You did say that someone should change to
a system that can handle "new fangled" equipment. Fact is, no alarm
service is willing to state that they will work with VoIP. Not even
yours.

The use of the Sunrocket VOIP has had no detrimental effects on my alarm
system whatsoever. I can't understand what the hell difference Ma Bell or
VOIP would make. Hell, I can be talking over VOIP and the alarm system is
perfectly functional. I think you're all a bunch of alarm system snobs.

OK. Now I'll go feed the dog.
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

Harry Krause wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:08:54 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Gene,
I am curious, how long ago was this disaster with Vonage? I listen
to Clark Howard and I know the love to jump all over any company
that is not providing good service. Based upon your history, I
would not be making any changes in the near future. I am glad my
history has been the exact opposite. It was the Clark Howard Show
that made me even think about making the change, they have had users
calling in for months talking about the quality and the ease of set
up. I think it was Bassy and and a few others in rec.boats that
convinced me to try it. With the 30 day free trial period, it was a
painless way to 'test" VOIP. I didn't port over my phone number
until I was comfortable with the quality of the line and Vonage
overall service.
I got away from vonage about 3 months ago. Apparently, Clark is
gradually changing his mind, too.... go to:

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/155/156/297/
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/

It looks like your call, along with other callers did register with
Clark Howard. While Clark has not had any problems with VOIP he has
noticed an increase in listners complaints. The date on the show
matches up with the time frame of your complaint, I wonder if they
have improved their customer service or if I am just an easy custimer
to satisfy. I haven't had to talk to customer service since I
installed the modem, but when I did I had no problems, and it was a
fairly quick and painless call. Now my call to DELL customer service
was another thing. Whatever you do, DON'T BUY A DELL.

Gee, I never had any problems with Dell, even back when I was moderator
of its PC group on CIS.

Harry,
You need to purchase a new computer from Dell, and talk to their
customer service dept, you would love them. I had purchased 6 computers
from Dell w/o any problems, until my last one. I will never purchase
another one. After 5 hrs on customer non service, I returned the
computer and purchased a Gateway w/ AMD. I had a blue screen of death,
with a hard drive problem, but instead of sending out a tech to replace
the hard drive, they had me unplugging and plugging in every component
and then restarting the computer. After 5 hrs. I asked for a RA and
sent the computer back to Dell.

The in home service really doesn't exist, as the phone tech told me, I
was "trouble shooting" and once I identified the problem, then they
would "service" the problem. They told me it could take 100's of hours
to "trouble shoot" before they "serviced" my computer.

wrote:

[...]

Well, "Reggie," if you had bothered to give Dell your actual name,
instead of one of your 500 aliases, you might have done better.

Harry,
Why the chip on the shoulder? Whats up?

wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
basskisser wrote:
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

No alarm system will *guarantee* that it will work with your land line
system, either!!!
So, your point is worthless.

wrote:

[...]

Where does that say that Clark is dissatisfied with his service???
-----------------

Sam D wrote:
"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

One is digital and the other analog. Not the same.

They both STILL go out of my house exactly the same. Same exact wiring.
Get it? Doubtful.

Jack Goff wrote:
On 25 Aug 2006 08:53:39 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
basskisser wrote:

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

It looks like Kevin does not understand the difference between a "security"
company and a "central station alarm monitoring" company.

BTW, I called Brinks and they said they would not recommend their service
when one uses VOIP and they could not offer any guarantee they could or
would receive the signal. ;-)

Jim, you are so full of ****!!!! Who did you talk to at Brinks? give me
a name, and a number, you liar!
I can tell you for a fact, I have VOIP, AND Brinks, and they work
flawlessly. Your petty diatribe above is just fluff.

I talked to a rep at Brinks today, since they are my provider. They
"strongly suggest" not to use Vonage. Further, they say that to
attempt it, they must come out and install a $90 filter on the line to
get it to work, and that is not always successful.

It seems to be working for you. Is it solid, or just barely working?
You can't really know. without a lot of expensive specialized test
equipment. Be thankful it's working now.

Every weekly test comes back flawlessly. NEVER had a problem, ever. MY
Brinks system does a weekly test, no need for expensive equipment.
Every Wednesday.

Jack Goff wrote:
On 25 Aug 2006 07:37:45 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:

Learn to express yourself more clearly. You wrote about VoIP: "The
signal goes out of your house just exactly as it does with a
landline."

The signal does not "go out of your house" in the same manner for
landline and VoIP at all. They use completely different transport
protocols and media.

My signal for my security system goes through the same exact wiring in
my house as it always has. My VOIP system is hooked seamlessly to those
same exact wires. Hence, the security system signal is through those
exact same wires.

Inside your house, the signal is the same. When it "goes out of your
house", the signal is *completely* different.

Of course, you realize that the alarm system is nothing but a modem,
and that VoIP is ill-suited for transporting modem signals. While it
may work today, there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work
tonight or tomorrow. If Vonage tweaks the codec they are using, or
the internet has some delay or dropped packets when the alarm tries to
connect, your intruder alert fails. There's no guarantee of delivery
of IP packets for VoIP. Your ear can deal with lots of dropped
packets when ordering pizza. The alarm modem can not.

Never, ever had a problem. My security company does a weekly test,
every Wednesday afternoon, it's always passed.

That's simply not true. Two problems with that statement:

1. A home monitoring company does not initiate a test. They can't.
If they tried, it would have to be by dialing your home number and
letting the alarm system answer, then doing a handshake. That's
simply not possible, as alarm systems don't do that. Something else,
like a person or an answering machine, would likely answer the call
first. The alarm box does not answer the phone.

Care to wager some money???

2. In another post, you identified Brinks as being your alarm service
provider. Well guess what, I use Brinks as well. The Brinks alarm
panel clearly indicates to "Test Weekly See Owner's Manual".
Furthermore, you test it by pressing the "Options" button five times
until "Test" is displayed, the entering your code. The system
initiates a test that includes calling into the service, then sounds
the alarm horn momentarily after the test. This is the operation of
the deluxe panel, the basic panel may be different.

Nope. Not mine.

If you really had a Brinks alarm, I suspect you'd know all of this.

If you had MY system, and knew you had the exact same system, then
you'd be in a position to make statements about my system.

I "upgraded" about a year and a half ago from the initial Brinks
system.
Do you realize that in this day and age, that Brinks even provides, for
a fee, such things as WiFi cabling?

"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

No, they don't. With POTS your alarm panel is wired directly to telephone
system. With cable/vonage the wiring goes from the alarm panel, then to your
Vonage modem, then to your cable modem, and out of the house through the
coax/fiber to your cable provider who then provides the connection to the
telephone network.

Get it?

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

Pssst........Sam...........you are trying to have a discussion with a
brick wall. ;-)