Default OT Glad for Vonage!

JohnH wrote:

JimmyH is my one and only true love. You've not noticed? He's the one I
wear *my* earring for.

***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

I think everyone here should copy above post and squirrel it away for
future reference.

Harry Krause wrote:
JohnH wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:17:38 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
This morning the phones in the neighborhood where I live were all out.
I didn't even know it, because I have comcast high speed and vonage! I
asked the Bellsouth Technician why he was checking the line in front of
my house, because I was going to tell him it's dead to my house because
I don't have Bellsouth. He said he was checking because some digital
device that serves the whole neighborhood went out, and they are trying
to restore service!!!

Wonderful. Our security alarm system sent out a letter recently advising
customers NOT to transfer to VOIP unless they leave a wired traditional
phone line in place or subscribe to a special, new, expensive cell service.

Wanna guess why?

The security company says it is working on a VOIP solution but so far,
it "is not reliable."

If the security company isn't reliable, I'd get a new one.

You've identified many reasons why you can't switch to VOIP. That's a
shame, and we all feel sorry for you.

Most of the major home security company connect lines do not work with
VOIP, I've since learned.

Why? The signal goes out of your house just exactly as it does with a
landline. Brinks works just great with VOIP

"Don White" wrote in message
JohnH wrote:

JimmyH is my one and only true love. You've not noticed? He's the one I
wear *my* earring for.

***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

I think everyone here should copy above post and squirrel it away for
future reference.

Holy crap! He really does perpetuate this gay thing all by himself. How
funny.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
basskisser wrote:

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

Well, despite advice to the contrary from Reggie and his boy Herring, ADT
says the following:

snip

From http://www.vonage.com/features_terms_service.php
2.16 Incompatibility With Other Services.

(a) Home Security Systems. The Service may not be compatible with home
security systems. You may be required to maintain a telephone connection
through your local exchange carrier in order to use any alarm monitoring
functions for any security system installed in your home or business. You
are responsible for contacting the alarm monitoring company to test the
compatibility of any alarm monitoring or security system with the Service.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:37:01 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

IMPORTANT INFORMATION For ADT® Customers Considering Changes To Your
Home Telephone Service

Including:

* Voice Over Internet Protocol Telephone Service (VoIP)

* Other Non-Standard Telephone Service

* Elimination of Your Landline Telephone Service

If you have changed or are considering changing your home telephone
service to Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or other types of
non-standard telephone service, or eliminating your traditional landline
telephone service altogether, it is important that you contact ADT at
1-800-ADT-ASAP immediately. you may have disconnected your ADT security
system and ADT may not receive alarm signals from your home. It is
important for you to test your system to determine whether the change to
VoIP or other non-standard telephone service has affected your alarm
system. If necessary, ADT can help you test your system and will arrange
for a service visit. Do not rely on a non-ADT technician to make your
ADT system operational if you have made any changes to your telephone
service. Important considerations you should know regarding VoIP or
other changes to our home telephone service*:

* The Internet has not proven to be as reliable as regular
telephone service. Some VoIP services may be temporarily unavailable due
to scheduled or unscheduled network outages. You may be familiar with
such lapses in service based on your own experiences using the Internet.

* Alarm signals that are transmitted over the Internet are more
susceptible to loss and distortion versus traditional, landline-based
telephone signals.

* With VoIP or some other types of non-standard telephone services,
power to your phone comes from your home-not the telephone company; so
you should have a battery backup to help keep your Internet network
equipment working when power to your home is off. While your ADT alarm
panel already has a battery backup to help assure continued operation
during a loss of power, this battery backup will not power VoIP or
non-standard telephone service.

* ADT may lose the ability to program your alarm system remotely
via your phone connection and could require a service call if changes
are required.

* Your ADT alarm control panel is designed to "seize" control of
the telephone line in front of all telephone extensions in the house in
order to transmit alarm data. This important feature allows the alarm
system to transmit alarm information to the ADT Customer Monitoring
Center even when phone extensions are left off the hook. Some VoIP
installations may jeopardize this important feature.

* If you eliminate your landline telephone or change your telephone
number, please contact ADT immediately to update your contact information.

Your safety and security is ADT's number one priority-That's why ADT
always recommends maintaining a basic landline telephone service for the
transmission of ADT alarm signals. Regardless of the type of telephone
service that you choose, it is important to test your alarm system
regularly to assure that it is communicating to ADT. In the event you do
not keep landline telephone service, ADT recommends an alternate or
additional method of alarm signal transmission. For this reason, ADT is
offering special packages on ADT Safewatch Cellguard,® which provides
your home with a cellular connection to ADT,** bypassing your home
telephone service altogether, and thus addressing the security
monitoring issues that can be associated with some VoIP and other
emerging technologies. Safewatch Cellguard® can help keep your home
connected to ADT even if you make a change to VoIP or to some other
types of non-standard telephone service, or if you eliminate your
traditional landline-based telephone service altogether.***

For more information on ADT's Safewatch Cellguard and our special
packages for customers with VoIP service, please call 1-800-ADT-ASAP.

* Aspects of these considerations may vary dependent upon your VoIP or
other non-standard telephone service provider and change with new
developments in Internet technology. You should always check with your
VoIP or other non-standard telephone service provider to confirm any
advantages and limitations of their service. Additional information on
VoIP is available at www.fcc.gov/voip.

**Cellular connection relies on operating cellular device and network
services.

***ADT's recommendations regarding additional or alternate cellular
connection apply to Burglar Alarm services only. While cellular devices
can transmit fire alarm signals, transmission of fire alarm signals by
means other than a standard telephone line may not be in compliance with
national household fire alarm standards or some local fire codes.

*I* advised you to switch? Reggie advised you to switch?

Both of us told you *not* to switch due to all the problems you have.
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

basskisser wrote:

From http://www.vonage.com/features_terms_service.php
2.16 Incompatibility With Other Services.

(a) Home Security Systems. The Service may not be compatible with home
security systems. You may be required to maintain a telephone connection
through your local exchange carrier in order to use any alarm monitoring
functions for any security system installed in your home or business. You
are responsible for contacting the alarm monitoring company to test the
compatibility of any alarm monitoring or security system with the Service.

Well, of course, Reggie and his boy Herring know better.

Which is why we told you to stick with what you've got!

Reading comprehension?
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:38:56 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JohnH wrote:

JimmyH is my one and only true love. You've not noticed? He's the one I
wear *my* earring for.

***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

I think everyone here should copy above post and squirrel it away for
future reference.

Holy crap! He really does perpetuate this gay thing all by himself. How
funny.

I heard he sold that yellow mustang to his hairdresser. Or maybe they
worked out a trade.

He and I are both looking for something in pink.

JimmyH jumped right in there, didn't he!
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

Harry Krause wrote:

Well, despite advice to the contrary from Reggie and his boy Herring,
ADT says the following:

Harry,
I have no idea what you are talking about, the only advice I gave you in
reference to your security system was to discontinue the service and
keep the sign. I didn't discuss VOIP or MABell. According to the
police in my area the normal response time for a security alarm is over
90 minutes. Before anyone invests a penny in a security system, they
need to call their local police dept. and ask them what their normal
response time for a home security alarm is. As I said, the cop who
responded to my neighbors alarm told me 99.999999999% of the alarms are
false alarms so they are always the lowest of priorities.

basskisser wrote:

From http://www.vonage.com/features_terms_service.php
2.16 Incompatibility With Other Services.

(a) Home Security Systems. The Service may not be compatible with home
security systems. You may be required to maintain a telephone
connection through your local exchange carrier in order to use any
alarm monitoring functions for any security system installed in your
home or business. You are responsible for contacting the alarm
monitoring company to test the compatibility of any alarm monitoring
or security system with the Service.

Well, of course, Reggie and his boy Herring know better.

Harry,
Bring me up to date, what was my comment about VOIP and ADT?

basskisser wrote:

From http://www.vonage.com/features_terms_service.php
2.16 Incompatibility With Other Services.

(a) Home Security Systems. The Service may not be compatible with home
security systems. You may be required to maintain a telephone connection
through your local exchange carrier in order to use any alarm monitoring
functions for any security system installed in your home or business. You
are responsible for contacting the alarm monitoring company to test the
compatibility of any alarm monitoring or security system with the Service.

Well, of course, Reggie and his boy Herring know better.

Which is why we told you to stick with what you've got!

Reading comprehension?

Harry is old and confused. It was actually BK that said that VoIP and
"landline" phone lines are the same, but Harry couldn't keep up.

It's sort of sad. Like your grandpa. When he hits 97.