Default It dropped as fast as it rose!

Looks like some skullduggery going on too! Evidently one stations
supplier was flinging on speculation so he shot his pumps up and the
other four stations in the small town did too. Obviously people saw a
"panic" and started doing a run on the pumps with lines and crap

The other small towns around were still at $2.97-$3.00 all thought the
day. Now the stations in town have dropped back down.

hmmmmm. I think there's giong to be some investigation over this. or
at least, I'd hope so.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Chuck Gould wrote:
wrote:

I suppose I'm really making a much a do about nothing. Boating isn't
going to break us, but then again, it's getting more expensive for us
all the time.

As it is for us all.

IMO, it's a matter of discretionary dollars and priorities. Nobody
should ever consider taking up boating if it means that the kids won't
get a college education or that there won't be money to take care of
aging parents or provide for personal retirement.

Again IMO, once the "must do's" are handled and the money left over
gets apportioned to
"want to do's", some people will spend a very high percentage on
boating while others may spend only a few of the discretionary dollars
on boating while prioritizing golf, international travel, or collecting
things like antique cars instead.

Well, it didn't wait till august around ehre. Gas shot up a buck over
night. at the pumps it's now $4.06 per gal.

This sucks!

At gas stations, or marinas???

Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

Harry Krause wrote:
JimH wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"JimH" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

JimH wrote:

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

Seriously, most of us are driving 4, and 6 cylinder
3, and 4L engines, and not doing it everyday, so
its _not_ really hurting us like you may think it is.

But Semi Trucks don't and they struggle to get better than 6 mpg.
Not
counting all the fiberglass, plastic, and that you wouldn't
imagine
being made out of petroleum.

it all leads to prices going up in every comodity.

" Huh " ?
...The guy was talking about "what to do about his boating"...

The price of gas is on my mind every time I fill my car or my boat
these
days.

Not me. There is nothing you can do about it. I burn around 2.5
gallons/hour. So a couple of hours running the boat now costs me
about
$16.
If prices double I will be out an whole extra $16. Big deal.

I often see statements like that in these discussions about rising gas
prices. Couldn't these extra 16 buckses add up to something over the
course of a whole boating season? And doesn't the expense of driving
your car to and from work and everywhere else also eventually come
into
the equation? I wish I were financially independent and money was "no
object" in my life.

richforman

Let's see. 6 months of boating x $16 = $96 worth of pure family
enjoyment. That adds up to a whopping $0.53/day.

Yep, I am financially independent and $0.53/day is no object to me.
;-)

Get real Rich. If your finances hang on $0.53/day then you cannot
afford a boat. This is a hobby, not a necessity. ;-)

Idiot.

What a thoughtful contribution to this thread Doug.

Have you ever made a mistake in your life? I guess not.

I ran Yo Ho at "trawler speed" this past weekend, about 8 mph. Fuel flow
gauge showed 1.1 to 1.4 gallons per hour. Boat handles just fine at
those low speeds, too, and tracks like an arrow. The engine is so quiet
at those low RPMs, you can barely tell it is running.

Now you're talkin'. Slap a mizzen sail on Yo Ho and you'll really start
to enjoy it.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:44:30 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I ran Yo Ho at "trawler speed" this past weekend, about 8 mph. Fuel flow
gauge showed 1.1 to 1.4 gallons per hour. Boat handles just fine at those
low speeds, too, and tracks like an arrow. The engine is so quiet at those
low RPMs, you can barely tell it is running.

Ah! Another convert in the making.

Perhaps but I can say from a great deal of personal experience that if
you are going to run at trawler speed, it is better to have the real
thing, preferably with stabilizers. My old Bertram 33 used to roll
like Miss Piggy when it was running off plane.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:17:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Get real Rich. If your finances hang on $0.53/day then you cannot
afford a boat. This is a hobby, not a necessity. ;-)

Idiot.

Rich is a PeeWCer. He can probably run all season on 100 gallons of
gas.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:44:30 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I ran Yo Ho at "trawler speed" this past weekend, about 8 mph. Fuel flow
gauge showed 1.1 to 1.4 gallons per hour. Boat handles just fine at
those
low speeds, too, and tracks like an arrow. The engine is so quiet at
those
low RPMs, you can barely tell it is running.

Ah! Another convert in the making.

Perhaps but I can say from a great deal of personal experience that if
you are going to run at trawler speed, it is better to have the real
thing, preferably with stabilizers. My old Bertram 33 used to roll
like Miss Piggy when it was running off plane.

Right now my "stabilizers" are my feet, planted about 36-40 inches apart.

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:44:30 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I ran Yo Ho at "trawler speed" this past weekend, about 8 mph. Fuel
flow gauge showed 1.1 to 1.4 gallons per hour. Boat handles just fine
at those low speeds, too, and tracks like an arrow. The engine is so
quiet at those low RPMs, you can barely tell it is running.
Ah! Another convert in the making.

Perhaps but I can say from a great deal of personal experience that if
you are going to run at trawler speed, it is better to have the real
thing, preferably with stabilizers. My old Bertram 33 used to roll
like Miss Piggy when it was running off plane.

Completely different hull design. Besides, I just mess around with trawler
speed. It's just too slow.

Trawler speed = Tony Bennett singing a Christmas song while laying comatose
on a couch. :-)

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
. ..

If I had a wife, and kids who would enjoy a boat outing,
then the notion of *not* going out would never even cross
my mind. Period.

Agreed. The times that come into question for me are those opportunities
for me to go out alone; some days the cost is something I choose to give way
to.

JimH wrote:

Oops, you are correct that I did not post the right figure. The $16
was per trip.

Let's be real though. No boater takes the boat out and runs it for
several hours each and every day over a 6 month period.

I think we can agree that 2 x week over a 6 month period is more
reasonable.

So, $16 x 2 x 26 = $832

$832/182.5 days = $4.55/day

Many folks blow that much money at Mickey D's for lunch every day. But
if it is truly a budget buster then you need to give up the *luxury* of
owning a boat or cut down on the amount of time you run it.

That's what I think I was saying (or what I am experiencing). The
higher prices of gas have caused me not to give up boating but to cut
down on the amount of hours I run it. (And to take more and longer
beach breaks!) My gas per trip probably averages more like 40 a run
though. By the way I've also given up the luxury of going out anywhere
for lunch, brown-bagging it in order to be able to still hit the water
on the weekends.

richforman

We can
spend the entire day anchored near the beach with only a 1.5hour total
run time.

Remember also that I took the example to an extreme..........having the
price of gas double from it's present level.

Thanks for being on top of my post and catching my mistake within
minutes of posting it John. ;-)