Don White Don White is offline

Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

Harry Krause wrote:
JimH wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"JimH" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

JimH wrote:

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

Seriously, most of us are driving 4, and 6 cylinder
3, and 4L engines, and not doing it everyday, so
its _not_ really hurting us like you may think it is.

But Semi Trucks don't and they struggle to get better than 6 mpg.
Not
counting all the fiberglass, plastic, and that you wouldn't
imagine
being made out of petroleum.

it all leads to prices going up in every comodity.

" Huh " ?
...The guy was talking about "what to do about his boating"...

The price of gas is on my mind every time I fill my car or my boat
these
days.

Not me. There is nothing you can do about it. I burn around 2.5
gallons/hour. So a couple of hours running the boat now costs me
about
$16.
If prices double I will be out an whole extra $16. Big deal.

I often see statements like that in these discussions about rising gas
prices. Couldn't these extra 16 buckses add up to something over the
course of a whole boating season? And doesn't the expense of driving
your car to and from work and everywhere else also eventually come
into
the equation? I wish I were financially independent and money was "no
object" in my life.

richforman

Let's see. 6 months of boating x $16 = $96 worth of pure family
enjoyment. That adds up to a whopping $0.53/day.

Yep, I am financially independent and $0.53/day is no object to me.
;-)

Get real Rich. If your finances hang on $0.53/day then you cannot
afford a boat. This is a hobby, not a necessity. ;-)

Idiot.

What a thoughtful contribution to this thread Doug.

Have you ever made a mistake in your life? I guess not.

I ran Yo Ho at "trawler speed" this past weekend, about 8 mph. Fuel flow
gauge showed 1.1 to 1.4 gallons per hour. Boat handles just fine at
those low speeds, too, and tracks like an arrow. The engine is so quiet
at those low RPMs, you can barely tell it is running.

Now you're talkin'. Slap a mizzen sail on Yo Ho and you'll really start
to enjoy it.