Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

"Bryan" wrote in message
.com...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I heard rumor (I can't confirm, nor deny) that gas is going to hit
$4.
bucks per gal. by august.

Not only will that hurt (as in stab) the economy, but my boating
will
be pretty well done. for a while......

CRAP!

You know how to fix the problem. Right?

concerning boating, yeah, convert to steam. or a sail. concerning the
economy? buy oil co. stock....

In the news, when you hear that a barrel of oil's gone up in price,
they always follow that statement with a reason. Do you remember what
that reason is? To keep this thread less cluttered, the reason is not
supply & demand.

Supply and demand.
Investment speculation that oil will be scarce in the near future due to
destabilization of the Middle East.

Your first idea, supply & demand, will *always* be a factor. Your second
reason is the one you could've done something about, and may still be
able to.

Too cryptic for me. I don't understand. You're expecting too much of my
intellectual abilities.

OK: There has been instability in the Middle East since I was old enough to
really digest the news. Let's call it 1967. The first major jump in oil
prices in my memory was around 1971. Since then, there've been numerous
hiccups, usually corresponding to the latest spat between Israel and
whomever. Sometimes, the jitters are related to something real, like a
hurricane. But, the most frequent jitters have come within the last 5 years
or so, during the Iraq invasion. Even if everyone put down their guns
tomorrow and we left, President Cheney has created a level of instability
which will not fade away for quite some time. You want to see more price
stability? Vote for people who know how to fight an enemy like adults,
instead of like children hypnotized by a video game.

"Tom G" wrote in message

Just bought a 3 gallon tank to replace the defective 6.5 gallon tank for
my outboard. Should save/help in two ways...I always had a 1/2 a tank
left at the end of the season with the 6.5 gal tank and if I should run
out while on the water, using the oars should help reduce this expanding
middle that advanced age has brought on. Plus I'm finding it more and
more difficult to carry 6.5 gallons of gas down the hill to the boat
dock.

Tom G.

If you row in the same fashion as competitive rowers, it'll do good
things for your back muscles, and you might be able to lift a bigger gas
tank easily. :-)

Right...I'll keep that in mind. :-)

Tom G

It's true! That type of rowing does more for back, shoulder & upper leg
muscles than it does for your arms. In competitive rowing, your upper arms
don't do much.

"Bryan" wrote in message
.com...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I see. Thanks for the clarification. A much more interesting reply this
time; thought provoking.

"Bryan" wrote in message
.com...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I hope so. It comes from the idea that the CIA has been gradually castrated
over the years, and the state department's been staffed by single-minded
robots. William Casey, the CIA chief during Reagan's time, was aware of the
problem. Not much has been done to fix it since then. These agencies are our
most useful weapons in the current "war".

"Tom G" wrote in message

[...]

I believe you...I just don't see myself doing much rowing by the time I've
gotten this 64 yr old body down a 45 degree slope that consists of 45 steps,
two piers, and a long ramp to the boat. Had to add a railing to the dock
this year so I could get into the boat without losing my balance and going
over the other side. I asked my son the other day, when had I turned 90, as
that is how I feel. I remember when I was about 25, thinking that I was
never going to be like those old guys of 40 that I saw always walking, not
running like I usually did at the time. Oh well, enough of my troubles.

Tom G.

"Tom G" wrote in message

[...]

Some co-workers and I used to drive a few minutes to the Erie Canal, to have
lunch at one of the parks. There was a guy with a rowing shell who'd cruise
by on most days. He didn't look a day under 80, but he got his boat moving
VERY fast. Not the competitive speeds I did in college, but pretty damned
good for a guy that age. Don't assume you can't do anything.

wrote:
Actually Chuck, there's more to the story, I'm looking at the whole
picture. The wife and I have a lot of stuff going on financially, we're
doing fine, but we're also socking a bunch away, and budgeting stuff.
She drives a 2000 chrysler Town 'n Country van wich gets pretty good
economy. I drive a 96 plymouth Voyager with a 4 banging work beater. My
"tow vehicle" is a 88 Mercury Grand Marq which actually should have
been thrown away about 4 years ago, but I still license and insure it
just to go with the boat. I need to ditch the Mercury, and get
something else. I don't have any need for a pick up, but it's hard to
find anything with decent rear wheel drive with good pulling power, or
at least what I'm comfortable with. The wife and I both make more than
a modest commute to our work places, and burn about $200. a week in gas
at the present prices, that also includes the 'round towning' too. And
this is using resonable economy vehicles.

So what I suppose I'm saying is with paying for a decent tow vehicle
(license, ins. etc) especially for a vehicle thats mainly going to sit.
, plus the added fuel costs, and what ever other expendetures are
needed. It's getting a bit tougher to justify for myself. I LOVE
boating, and my little Chris Craft sips fuel. I dont' know about the
GPH, but we've always had a fun day on the lake for less than 10 gal in
the boat.

I suppose I'm really making a much a do about nothing. Boating isn't
going to break us, but then again, it's getting more expensive for us
all the time.

Chuck Gould wrote:

wrote:

I heard rumor (I can't confirm, nor deny) that gas is going to hit $4.
bucks per gal. by august.

Not only will that hurt (as in stab) the economy, but my boating will
be pretty well done. for a while......

CRAP!

Look for a dramatic moderation in prices immediately after Labor Day.
Then expect further notable decreases through the first Tuesday in
November. After that, hang on Matilda- I think she's a gonna blow. $5
by next Memorial Day, or $6 a the fuel dock. Just my pessimistic
opinion- I could be wrong and I sincerely hope that I am.

Can you slow down or stay a bit closer to home port to save the fuel
you feel you'll need to save to keep on boating?

Ford had a giveway lease deal on Ranger pickups last March.
I'd get rid of the old 88' car and the 4 cyl mini-van and lease a
compact pickup with the 3.0 liter 6 cyl engine.... assuming your tow
doesn't exceed 2500 lbs.
I questioned the use I would make of a pickup truck also... but it's
growing on me.