Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

JimH wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

Seriously, most of us are driving 4, and 6 cylinder
3, and 4L engines, and not doing it everyday, so
its _not_ really hurting us like you may think it is.

But Semi Trucks don't and they struggle to get better than 6 mpg. Not
counting all the fiberglass, plastic, and that you wouldn't imagine
being made out of petroleum.

it all leads to prices going up in every comodity.

" Huh " ?
...The guy was talking about "what to do about his boating"...

The price of gas is on my mind every time I fill my car or my boat these
days.

Not me. There is nothing you can do about it. I burn around 2.5
gallons/hour. So a couple of hours running the boat now costs me about $16.
If prices double I will be out an whole extra $16. Big deal.

I often see statements like that in these discussions about rising gas
prices. Couldn't these extra 16 buckses add up to something over the
course of a whole boating season? And doesn't the expense of driving
your car to and from work and everywhere else also eventually come into
the equation? I wish I were financially independent and money was "no
object" in my life.

richforman

The more I have to tighten my belt due to the rising cost of goods and
services due to the rising cost of fuel, the more I consider the
affordability of taking my boat out for a spin. Each of us has our own
breaking point.

You also have a small boat so start looking at it in real numbers rather
than letting it ruin your day.

It is the folks with the big boats who are taking the hit.

wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

Let's see. 6 months of boating x $16 = $96 worth of pure family
enjoyment. That adds up to a whopping $0.53/day.

Yep, I am financially independent and $0.53/day is no object to me.
;-)

Get real Rich. If your finances hang on $0.53/day then you cannot
afford a boat. This is a hobby, not a necessity. ;-)

On 17 Jul 2006 14:58:58 -0700, "JimH" wrote:

wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

I come up with something like $2880, but I could be off a hair.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

"JimH" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

Idiot.

JohnH wrote:
On 17 Jul 2006 14:58:58 -0700, "JimH" wrote:

wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

Oops, you are correct that I did not post the right figure. The $16
was per trip.

Let's be real though. No boater takes the boat out and runs it for
several hours each and every day over a 6 month period.

I think we can agree that 2 x week over a 6 month period is more
reasonable.

So, $16 x 2 x 26 = $832

$832/182.5 days = $4.55/day

Many folks blow that much money at Mickey D's for lunch every day. But
if it is truly a budget buster then you need to give up the *luxury* of
owning a boat or cut down on the amount of time you run it. We can
spend the entire day anchored near the beach with only a 1.5hour total
run time.

Remember also that I took the example to an extreme..........having the
price of gas double from it's present level.

Thanks for being on top of my post and catching my mistake within
minutes of posting it John. ;-)

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"JimH" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

What a thoughtful contribution to this thread Doug.

Have you ever made a mistake in your life? I guess not.

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

Bryan wrote:
" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

I'm with you on that, Jim. I was trying to express the idea that it's not
just the cost of boating that will cause some people to feel the negative
pressures of rising fuel prices on their luxury hobby, small boat or large.
The bottom line is that the overall cost of living will cause financial
stress of varying magnitudes for each of us and for some it will affect
their boating.

It is funny to see how folks have made assumptions that the $16/outing
is going to bring you to financial ruins.

All I originally asked is for you to put things into
perspective.........do a cost/benefit analysis.

For me (and I would guess you too) that $16 can be made up in other
ways. The joy of sharing a day on the water with your family has no
price tag and results in lifelong memories for all.

Sorry to see that my initial statement (and subsequent math error) has
resulted in negative and attack posts by others. Perhaps they need to
get out on the water more with their loved ones and less time in front
of the computer. ;-)

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

I ran Yo Ho at "trawler speed" this past weekend, about 8 mph. Fuel flow
gauge showed 1.1 to 1.4 gallons per hour. Boat handles just fine at those
low speeds, too, and tracks like an arrow. The engine is so quiet at those
low RPMs, you can barely tell it is running.

Ah! Another convert in the making.

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"JimH" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...
"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news wrote in message
ups.com...
Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

I hope you gave way to all the blow boats passing you. ;-)