Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

"Tom G" wrote in message
news:acuug.1772$RV.187@trnddc08...

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I heard rumor (I can't confirm, nor deny) that gas is going to hit $4.
bucks per gal. by august.

Not only will that hurt (as in stab) the economy, but my boating will
be pretty well done. for a while......

CRAP!

Look for a dramatic moderation in prices immediately after Labor Day.
Then expect further notable decreases through the first Tuesday in
November. After that, hang on Matilda- I think she's a gonna blow. $5
by next Memorial Day, or $6 a the fuel dock. Just my pessimistic
opinion- I could be wrong and I sincerely hope that I am.

Can you slow down or stay a bit closer to home port to save the fuel
you feel you'll need to save to keep on boating

Just bought a 3 gallon tank to replace the defective 6.5 gallon tank for
my outboard. Should save/help in two ways...I always had a 1/2 a tank
left at the end of the season with the 6.5 gal tank and if I should run
out while on the water, using the oars should help reduce this expanding
middle that advanced age has brought on. Plus I'm finding it more and more
difficult to carry 6.5 gallons of gas down the hill to the boat dock.

Tom G.

If you row in the same fashion as competitive rowers, it'll do good things
for your back muscles, and you might be able to lift a bigger gas tank
easily. :-)

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

Seriously, most of us are driving 4, and 6 cylinder
3, and 4L engines, and not doing it everyday, so
its _not_ really hurting us like you may think it is.

But Semi Trucks don't and they struggle to get better than 6 mpg. Not
counting all the fiberglass, plastic, and that you wouldn't imagine
being made out of petroleum.

it all leads to prices going up in every comodity.

" Huh " ?
...The guy was talking about "what to do about his boating"...

The price of gas is on my mind every time I fill my car or my boat these
days.

Is it on your mind when you run the lawn mower, or weed wacker too?
Point being is that most people associate "boat" with a family outing,
and special "fun" event - not something that they have to do every
Sunday night before going to work the next day. But year, I hear ya.
If you are in the "boater" catagory, you've already made choices in
your mind to "justify" spending money thast you didn't have too, so
the price increase of gas kinda gets absorbed in that whole mindset.
Face it, most people dont 'think about" the price of beer when they
go out for beers, or grab a half-rack at the store, or smokes, or the
operating cost of a boat. Its just how you think about it, thats all.

The more I have to tighten my belt due to the rising cost of goods
and services due to the rising cost of fuel, the more I consider the
affordability of taking my boat out for a spin.

If you feel this way, then whats *really* going on it that you are
struggling with the whole idea of having the boat, not the gas price.
Its like buying beer and fireworks - some things in life you just
don't 'analyze like that. I mean, I guess you _could_, but I
think you get the drift. (humm, beer & foreworks for the 4th,
or new sneakers for little Johnny, and diapers for Jack-Jack)...

Each of us has our own breaking point.

True. But moreover, most of us also have a mental
"slush fund catagory" in our mind for justifing things.

Just bought a 3 gallon tank to replace the defective 6.5 gallon tank for
my outboard. Should save/help in two ways...I always had a 1/2 a tank
left at the end of the season with the 6.5 gal tank and if I should run
out while on the water, using the oars should help reduce this expanding
middle that advanced age has brought on. Plus I'm finding it more and
more difficult to carry 6.5 gallons of gas down the hill to the boat
dock.

Tom G.

If you row in the same fashion as competitive rowers, it'll do good things
for your back muscles, and you might be able to lift a bigger gas tank
easily. :-)

Right...I'll keep that in mind. :-)

Tom G

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I heard rumor (I can't confirm, nor deny) that gas is going to hit
$4.
bucks per gal. by august.

Not only will that hurt (as in stab) the economy, but my boating
will
be pretty well done. for a while......

CRAP!

You know how to fix the problem. Right?

concerning boating, yeah, convert to steam. or a sail. concerning the
economy? buy oil co. stock....

In the news, when you hear that a barrel of oil's gone up in price, they
always follow that statement with a reason. Do you remember what that
reason is? To keep this thread less cluttered, the reason is not supply
& demand.

Supply and demand.
Investment speculation that oil will be scarce in the near future due to
destabilization of the Middle East.

Your first idea, supply & demand, will *always* be a factor. Your second
reason is the one you could've done something about, and may still be able
to.

Too cryptic for me. I don't understand. You're expecting too much of my
intellectual abilities.

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

Seriously, most of us are driving 4, and 6 cylinder
3, and 4L engines, and not doing it everyday, so
its _not_ really hurting us like you may think it is.

But Semi Trucks don't and they struggle to get better than 6 mpg. Not
counting all the fiberglass, plastic, and that you wouldn't imagine
being made out of petroleum.

it all leads to prices going up in every comodity.

" Huh " ?
...The guy was talking about "what to do about his boating"...

The price of gas is on my mind every time I fill my car or my boat these
days.

Not me. There is nothing you can do about it. I burn around 2.5
gallons/hour. So a couple of hours running the boat now costs me about
$16. If prices double I will be out an whole extra $16. Big deal.

The more I have to tighten my belt due to the rising cost of goods and
services due to the rising cost of fuel, the more I consider the
affordability of taking my boat out for a spin. Each of us has our own
breaking point.

You also have a small boat so start looking at it in real numbers rather
than letting it ruin your day.

It is the folks with the big boats who are taking the hit.

I'm with you on that, Jim. I was trying to express the idea that it's not
just the cost of boating that will cause some people to feel the negative
pressures of rising fuel prices on their luxury hobby, small boat or large.
The bottom line is that the overall cost of living will cause financial
stress of varying magnitudes for each of us and for some it will affect
their boating.

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

I push my lawn mower. I pull my weed by hand.
The price of fuel compared to my pay raises over the last 6 years has had a
significant impact on my personally.
I do, as you say, make my choice to spend the money, but I make it each time
I consider going out. Some days I don't go out. Other days I go out 'cause
at any price it will be worth it.

The more I have to tighten my belt due to the rising cost of goods
and services due to the rising cost of fuel, the more I consider the
affordability of taking my boat out for a spin.

If you feel this way, then whats *really* going on it that you are
struggling with the whole idea of having the boat, not the gas price.

True to some degree. The price of owning and operating a boat is a
financial struggle for me; a minor one albeit, but not a freebie. Still, we
decided to take on the "burden" while our kids were still home with us.

Each of us has our own breaking point.

True. But moreover, most of us also have a mental
"slush fund catagory" in our mind for justifing things.

My slush fund is low on ice!

Actually Chuck, there's more to the story, I'm looking at the whole
picture. The wife and I have a lot of stuff going on financially, we're
doing fine, but we're also socking a bunch away, and budgeting stuff.
She drives a 2000 chrysler Town 'n Country van wich gets pretty good
economy. I drive a 96 plymouth Voyager with a 4 banging work beater. My
"tow vehicle" is a 88 Mercury Grand Marq which actually should have
been thrown away about 4 years ago, but I still license and insure it
just to go with the boat. I need to ditch the Mercury, and get
something else. I don't have any need for a pick up, but it's hard to
find anything with decent rear wheel drive with good pulling power, or
at least what I'm comfortable with. The wife and I both make more than
a modest commute to our work places, and burn about $200. a week in gas
at the present prices, that also includes the 'round towning' too. And
this is using resonable economy vehicles.

So what I suppose I'm saying is with paying for a decent tow vehicle
(license, ins. etc) especially for a vehicle thats mainly going to sit.
, plus the added fuel costs, and what ever other expendetures are
needed. It's getting a bit tougher to justify for myself. I LOVE
boating, and my little Chris Craft sips fuel. I dont' know about the
GPH, but we've always had a fun day on the lake for less than 10 gal in
the boat.

I suppose I'm really making a much a do about nothing. Boating isn't
going to break us, but then again, it's getting more expensive for us
all the time.

Chuck Gould wrote:
wrote:
I heard rumor (I can't confirm, nor deny) that gas is going to hit $4.
bucks per gal. by august.

Not only will that hurt (as in stab) the economy, but my boating will
be pretty well done. for a while......

CRAP!

Look for a dramatic moderation in prices immediately after Labor Day.
Then expect further notable decreases through the first Tuesday in
November. After that, hang on Matilda- I think she's a gonna blow. $5
by next Memorial Day, or $6 a the fuel dock. Just my pessimistic
opinion- I could be wrong and I sincerely hope that I am.

Can you slow down or stay a bit closer to home port to save the fuel
you feel you'll need to save to keep on boating?

"Bryan" wrote in message
.com...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

So here's an interesting thought. Try to figure out what
the "opportunity cost" is based on gas prices vs. the
daily depreciation of your vessel, over the life of the
vessel for the time that you own it vs. the number of
days that you *don't* go out because of gas proces
when you *would* go out otherwise.

The more I have to tighten my belt due to the rising cost of goods
and services due to the rising cost of fuel, the more I consider the
affordability of taking my boat out for a spin.

If you feel this way, then whats *really* going on it that you are
struggling with the whole idea of having the boat, not the gas price.

True to some degree. The price of owning and operating a boat is a
financial struggle for me; a minor one albeit, but not a freebie. Still,

we
decided to take on the "burden" while our kids were still home with us.

If I had a wife, and kids who would enjoy a boat outing,
then the notion of *not* going out would never even cross
my mind. Period.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

It is the folks with the big boats who are taking the hit.

Not me. Beer's still relatively cheap.

Yeah, but the price of pretzels and peanuts is about to double. ;-)

That would suck, but the upshot is that we can all drop
the pretzels (just not the peanuts). Hooties go up, and
we're all ****ed.