Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

wrote in message
oups.com...
JimH wrote:

Not me. There is nothing you can do about it. I burn around 2.5
gallons/hour. So a couple of hours running the boat now costs me
about $16.
If prices double I will be out an whole extra $16. Big deal.

I often see statements like that in these discussions about rising gas
prices. Couldn't these extra 16 buckses add up to something over the
course of a whole boating season? And doesn't the expense of driving
your car to and from work and everywhere else also eventually come into
the equation? I wish I were financially independent and money was "no
object" in my life.

richforman

Let's see. 6 months of boating x $16 = $96 worth of pure family
enjoyment. That adds up to a whopping $0.53/day.

Yep, I am financially independent and $0.53/day is no object to me.
;-)

Get real Rich. If your finances hang on $0.53/day then you cannot
afford a boat. This is a hobby, not a necessity. ;-)

This post doesn't make sense. Are you saying you only take the boat
out once a month and only spend sixteen dollars on gas each of those
times? You're right, that wouldn't add up to much then. I boat a lot
more often than that, for a longer season (more like eight months) and
spend a whole lot more on gas each outing. But I am doing it less
this season (fewer outings a month, fewer miles/tanks each outing)
partly because of the skyrocketing price of gas....I can afford to do
it, just somewhat less of it....guess I should get out but I"m kind of
hooked!

richforman

Jimmy really doesn't know what he's saying. He just spews, and in the
future, pretends he never said whatever it is he wrote because he can't
comprehend his own words at a later date.

My interpretation of this week's spew is this: He thinks that no matter how
sound your financial planning may be, you should forget it and outspend your
budget because the time spent with your family on the boat will result in
great memories that money can't buy. What he doesn't mention is that your
family will think you're a toad when the house needs a roof and you have no
money and your credit rating's shot.

I like your approach better.