basskisser

Default One for the not so swift among us-

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 31 May 2006 04:15:00 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2006 09:24:45 -0700, jps wrote:

Our currency is evidence.

The fact that the sun heats both planets does not preclude that
we've
messing with the earth's atmosphere. When you change a system as
integral to the earth's condition as its atmosphere, it's going
produce change.

The fact that you don't "believe" this is no concern of min

Are you discussing the agit-prop "An Inconvenient Truth" by Al "I
invented the Internet" - "Love Story was modeled after Tipper and me"
Gore?

Please - Anyone with an historical perspective and a modicum of
knowledge about metrology and physics will tell you that (1) They
don't have a freakin' clue if there is or isn't "global warming" and
(2) the recent "activity" is more about normal solar/current patterns
than "global warming".

Then again, this is Al "I'm so freakin' smart I scare myself to death"
Gore. :)

Believe what you will, but actually try to understand the varying
opinions from all the respected scientists involved in this debate
rather than Al "The Sky is Falling - or at least Warming Up" Gore.

On another subject, did you buy a new bigger, betterer boat?

Once and for all. Al Gore NEVER said he "invented the internet".

Bassy, I really don't want to take you to school on this again.

Just drop it.

For a fine read:
http://www.perkel.com/politics/gore/internet.htm

Which, says in part:
Exhibit A is Al Gore. People eager to lie about him continue to portray
him as a liar. First lie, that he claims to have "invented" the
Internet. Second lie, that he claims to have "discovered" the pollution
of Love Canal. Third lie, that he falsely claims to be the model for
Oliver Barrett IV, hero of Love Story.

Gore never claimed that he "invented" the Internet, which implies that
he engineered the technology. The invention occurred in the seventies
and allowed scientists in the Defense Department to communicate with
each other. In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said,
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative
in creating the Internet."

Taken in context, the sentence, despite some initial ambiguity, means
that as a congressman Gore promoted the system we enjoy today, not that
he could patent the science, though that's how the quotation has been
manipulated. Hence the disingenuous substitution of "inventing" for the
actual language.

For a heady while we hoped that the Bush campaign would prove their man
to be the champion of honesty and integrity that he pretends to be,
especially for those looking for a squeaky clean new White House. A
couple of weeks ago the campaign rejected a shoddy commercial showing
Gore saying that Clinton never told a lie. Problem was that the clip
showed an interview from 1994, long before Clinton ever heard of Monica
Lewinsky.

To his credit, Bush scrapped the commercial before it aired. But as I
write, his campaign is unloading a new commercial, featuring a sneer at
the fragment from the Internet claim, again implying that Gore had
nothing to do with the Internet's creation. At least they got the words
right; it would be dangerous to doctor the tape.

But the real question is what, if anything, did Gore actually do to
create the modern Internet? According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice
president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the
Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States
without the strong support given to it and related research areas by
the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as
Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with
making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's
High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave
Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is
today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University,
claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the
importance of networking the country. Could we perhaps see an end to
cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the Internet?"

So, in other words, Gore said something careless, and continues to get fried
for it. Bush makes careless speech into a virtual religion, and his sheep
say nothing, although in all fairness, it's because his sheep don't notice.

Exactly!

JoeSpareBedroom

"Sean Corbett" wrote in message
You wrote:

People who constantly deal in hypotheticals are the ones who lack the
intelligence or maturity to process the real world.

So, you're saying that Supreme Court justices lack the aforementioned
intelligence or maturity?

No, I'm saying YOU do.

You said "People who...", and unless you want to start slicing and dicing,
that includes me, you, and everyone else. You made an all-inclusive
statement.

Now that we've established that, you're ready to understand that
hypotheticals are constantly used by the best and the brightest. In Supreme
Court transcripts, the justices will go on for hours, tossing hypothetical
situations at lawyers to test new ideas. Various military & police entities
have hired movie writers to come up with hypothetical scenarios involving
security issues. You don't like hypotheticals because, as in this
conversation, it puts you on the spot. You have to think and come up with an
answer. Oh well.

However, since my copy of the Constitution contains neither the word
"gasoline", nor "global warming", nor "energy", nor "oil", nor
"environment", my oath of office would compel me to do nothing.

Really? Your president suggests things all the time which he thinks
would make for a better country and a better world, and most of these
things are in no way related to his constitutional mandate. It would be
unpatriotic to not look out for the best interests of this country in
every way possible.

If the term "your president" is supposed to imply that I either voted for
or support the policies of George W. Bush, you are entirely mistaken.

Hey, if you look, walk, and sound like a duck, don't be surprised to be
called a duck.

Now, onward: Are you capable of answering the question, rather than arguing
about tactics?

You wrote:

However, since my copy of the Constitution contains neither the word
"gasoline", nor "global warming", nor "energy", nor "oil", nor
"environment", my oath of office would compel me to do nothing.

Hmm, so you think that everything that GWB does, says, or tries to get
other countries to do is tied directely to the Constitution?

Read my response to Bedroom. GWB is a wretched president. As was
Clinton.
As was Bush pere.

Nice attempt at a dodge. ***ALL*** presidents got involved with issues that
were not part of their mandate. Perhaps half the time, the public was fine
with it. Do *not* try and hijack this discussion by introducing such
nonsense again.

JoeSpareBedroom

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Sean Corbett wrote:

People who constantly deal in hypotheticals are the ones who lack the
intelligence or maturity to process the real world.

I wonder what Stephen Hawking would say about that sort of idiotic
comment?

I'll tell you what he would say: Your operating system's keyboard routine
is nothing but a test of hypotheticals. Every IF THEN ENDIF loop is testing
hypotheticals. Tell the people who write these things that they lack
intelligence.

I could be wrong, though. Maybe Sean would like to ask Dr. Hawking directly
what he thinks about the use of hypotheticals:
http://www.hawking.org.uk/info/cindex.html

You wrote:

However, since my copy of the Constitution contains neither the word
"gasoline", nor "global warming", nor "energy", nor "oil", nor
"environment", my oath of office would compel me to do nothing.

Hmm, so you think that everything that GWB does, says, or tries to
get other countries to do is tied directely to the Constitution?

Read my response to Bedroom. GWB is a wretched president. As was
Clinton.
As was Bush pere.

Nice attempt at a dodge. ***ALL*** presidents got involved with issues
that were not part of their mandate.

Then there was no point in your specifying GWB. Why did you?

To refute your nonsense about how a president shouldn't get involved with
non-constitutional issues, because that was nothing but a tactic you used to
avoid answering my question about what YOU would do about the scientific
discovery I mentioned. Do you still remember? It was less than 90 minutes
ago.

basskisser

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2006 13:34:02 GMT, Sean Corbett
wrote:

You wrote:

In article qDvdg.8579$Ar6.6872@trnddc02, says...
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006news/ne...olingworld.pdf

Yes, and scientific know-how and technology has been drifting backwards
since 1975, right?

Wrong.

But you go ahead and believe what you want. Those of us with a better
sense of responsibility towards those who will come after us will do
what we can to make sure they remain safe.

You sit on your ass and contemplate your navel if that suits you.

Were you aware that Mars' temperature is also rising? Explain this.

Hey, Sean, care to talk about boating.... that is if you *own* a
boat....

... or do you just come here to talk about off topic stuff?

Pot. Kettle. Plonk.

Say goodnight, moron.

Typical..... start losing an argument, and resort to childish and petty
name calling.

basskisser

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2006 09:24:45 -0700, jps wrote:

Our currency is evidence.

The fact that the sun heats both planets does not preclude
that we've
messing with the earth's atmosphere. When you change a system
as integral to the earth's condition as its atmosphere, it's
going to produce change.

[...]

That's not was Limbaugh says.

Yes, and Limbaugh is wrong. Then every goose stepping republican gets
in line behind him!

In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said, "During my service
in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the
Internet."

I guess the confusion comes from the fact that left-leaning persons can't
comprehend "initiative".

A beginning or introductory step....
Next?
Please show me where Al Gore said that he "invented the internet".

You wrote:

However, since my copy of the Constitution contains neither the
word "gasoline", nor "global warming", nor "energy", nor "oil",
nor "environment", my oath of office would compel me to do
nothing.

Hmm, so you think that everything that GWB does, says, or tries to
get other countries to do is tied directely to the Constitution?

Read my response to Bedroom. GWB is a wretched president. As was
Clinton.
As was Bush pere.

Nice attempt at a dodge. ***ALL*** presidents got involved with
issues that were not part of their mandate.

Then there was no point in your specifying GWB. Why did you?

To refute your nonsense about how a president shouldn't get involved
with non-constitutional issues,

What does the presidential oath of office command the president to do?

because that was nothing but a tactic
you used to avoid answering my question about what YOU would do about
the scientific discovery I mentioned. Do you still remember? It was
less than 90 minutes ago.

I answered your question. Ask your mommy to read my answer to you.

Perhaps it would help if you saw some stupid people using hypothetical
arguments to tweeze apart ideas and understand them better:

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Mr. Kayatta, if I took a drum of water out of the
river and put it in the garage next to the river for 5 years, and, 5 years
later, came out and poured that drum of water back into the river, is that a
discharge into the river?

MR. KAYATTA: Yes, that would be a discharge into the river.

MR. KAYATTA: There is -- we draw a distinction -- and I'm referring just to
discharge, I'm not addressing the issue that the Court could get to in
another case of whether you actually need a discharge of a pollutant, as to
just a discharge into the river -we draw a distinction between actually
removing something entirely from the river, exercising control over it. Your
hypothetical, Mr. Chief Justice, had it for 5 years. In that situation, one
could say that there may be a discharge into the river when an activity is
proposed to pour that back into the river. In a -- in the dams -- the dams,
the water continuously flows down. The water never leaves the single body of
water called the Presumpscot. And that's the distinction that we would draw.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Even though it's retained in a -- what -- an
impoundment pool, or whatever, behind --

MR. KAYATTA: Well, the dams slow down the water as it comes down the
Presumpscot. And because the dams slow down the water, then the river widens
in an area called an impoundment area. But the -- there is a continuous
motion leaving the dam in the same amount of water that comes into the area
above the dam.

JUSTICE KENNEDY: Well, this --

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: So, you think it's a different case if it's not a
continuous motion; in other words, that the water is released -- you know,
it's released on the weekends, but, during the week, it has to build up in
the -- you would draw a distinction and say there's a discharge, in that
case?

The rest is he

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_a...ts/04-1527.pdf

JoeSpareBedroom

[...]

Sean will not respond to the specifics you've provided above. He can't.