Default One for the not so swift among us-

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
Jeff Rigby wrote:
"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sean Corbett wrote:

You wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
glegroups.com...

I guess the confusion comes from the fact that left-leaning persons
can't comprehend "initiative".

But the real question is what, if anything, did Gore actually do to
create the modern Internet? According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice
president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the
Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States
without the strong support given to it and related research areas by
the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as
Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with
making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's
High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave
Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is
today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University,
claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the
importance of networking the country. Could we perhaps see an end to
cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the
Internet?"

THAT'S initiative.

Sean will not respond to the specifics you've provided above. He can't.

Anybody can cut-and-paste quotes from a single website.

And that's all it took to prove you dead wrong.
Now, where IS that quote that you and Rush and Hannity hold so dear??

Who's quoted opinions above do you disagree with?
Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom?
Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University?
The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen?
Which ones and why?

None of the above. I was part of a company in the middle 80's writing
among other things a terminal program called Interlink for the Atari ST.
That for those of you new to computing, was based on a Motorola 68000
running at 8 MHz with 512k of memory and a Graphic user interface called
GEM. The Atari was a little faster than a Mac and had at the time
Industry standard hardware like Midi port, floppy drive compatible with
the 3 1/2 drive in the PC and a modified SCSI port.

The point of this was that the GEM interface and drawing utilities were
in ROM in the computer. A simple 8 byte call to the GEM library could
call a drawing routine that would create a circle and fill it with a
pattern. Same with a line, rectangle, triangle and text. These were the
tools to build an interface for a terminal program that would resemble
what we have with our current generation of Web Browsers but able to work
with 2400 baud modems. We created a prototype but didn't think it would
sell as the Atari had too small a market share for BBS and national
services like CompuServe to support it.

For the user interface we see today to evolve we needed more market
share, Chicken and egg! Information available nationally created demand
that created the need for a easier information tool (web browsers) which
created more demand.

Darpa net being integrated into a net that linked universities step 1
Gore has a part in that as did many other Senators. Since Democrats
controlled the Senate at that time...they get the credit. University
students creating PD programs to easily access the info, grants to the
most prolific, again Democrats controlled the Senate. These early
machines were generally Unix machines not PCs.

The internet as we have it today was market driven. Gore can not take
credit for that.

The Internet could have been created 15 years earlier IF the PC had been
created with a 68000 and had a graphics user interface standard. The
Mac, Amiga and Atari while VASTLY superior (by 20 times) the PC of the
80's couldn't get the market share the PC got because of the combination
of the market draw of the IBM name and the ignorance of the consumer in
buying the first , second and third generation PC (8086, 80286, 80386,
80486 The forth generation PC with a Pentium 60 Mhz processor was the
equal of a 16 Mhz 68000 computer. At the Release of the Pentium,
Motorola had a 68030 at 30 Mhz that was 5 times faster than the Pentium.
Win 98 which came several years after the release of the Pentium was the
First interface equal to those available on "other " platforms.

sorry jeff. the internet and its creation had nothing to do with Ataris or
PCs.

Yes, very sorry it didn't happen that way. Read my above again, I quote:

"Darpa net being integrated into a net that linked universities step 1 Gore
has a part in that as did many other Senators. Since Democrats controlled
the Senate at that time...they get the credit. University students
creating
PD programs to easily access the info, grants to the most prolific, again
Democrats controlled the Senate. These early machines were generally Unix
machines not PCs."

The EXPLOSION of and the Internet we have today were the direct result of
the graphical user interface!!!!! That was delayed 10 years by IBM's
choice of the 8088 for the PC. Read above.

Compuserve, AOL, GE net, and others were the basic internet in the 80's.
Email, information, PD programs, support for computer programs were all
available nationally by dial up modem. When Darpa net begain linking
Universitys, shortly after that they linked the above services to each
other.
--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,