basskisser

Default One for the not so swift among us-

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

I guess the confusion comes from the fact that left-leaning persons
can't comprehend "initiative".

But the real question is what, if anything, did Gore actually do to
create the modern Internet? According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice
president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the
Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States
without the strong support given to it and related research areas by
the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as
Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with
making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's
High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave
Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is
today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University,
claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the
importance of networking the country. Could we perhaps see an end to
cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the
Internet?"

THAT'S initiative.

Sean will not respond to the specifics you've provided above. He can't.

Anybody can cut-and-paste quotes from a single website.

And that's all it took to prove you dead wrong.
Now, where IS that quote that you and Rush and Hannity hold so dear??

Who's quoted opinions above do you disagree with?
Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom?
Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University?
The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen?
Which ones and why?

Reginald P. Smithers

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Sean Corbett" wrote in message
You wrote:

People who constantly deal in hypotheticals are the ones who lack the
intelligence or maturity to process the real world.
So, you're saying that Supreme Court justices lack the aforementioned
intelligence or maturity?

No, I'm saying YOU do.

You said "People who...", and unless you want to start slicing and dicing,
that includes me, you, and everyone else. You made an all-inclusive
statement.

Now that we've established that, you're ready to understand that
hypotheticals are constantly used by the best and the brightest. In Supreme
Court transcripts, the justices will go on for hours, tossing hypothetical
situations at lawyers to test new ideas. Various military & police entities
have hired movie writers to come up with hypothetical scenarios involving
security issues. You don't like hypotheticals because, as in this
conversation, it puts you on the spot. You have to think and come up with an
answer. Oh well.

However, since my copy of the Constitution contains neither the word
"gasoline", nor "global warming", nor "energy", nor "oil", nor
"environment", my oath of office would compel me to do nothing.
Really? Your president suggests things all the time which he thinks
would make for a better country and a better world, and most of these
things are in no way related to his constitutional mandate. It would be
unpatriotic to not look out for the best interests of this country in
every way possible.

If the term "your president" is supposed to imply that I either voted for
or support the policies of George W. Bush, you are entirely mistaken.

Hey, if you look, walk, and sound like a duck, don't be surprised to be
called a duck.

Now, onward: Are you capable of answering the question, rather than arguing
about tactics?

Joe,
I have to ask, did you change your Usenet Nick because your wife
banished you to the spare bedroom?

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
JoeSpareBedroom

"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Joe,
I have to ask, did you change your Usenet Nick because your wife banished
you to the spare bedroom?
Reggie

I never had a nickname.

Reginald P. Smithers

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Joe,
I have to ask, did you change your Usenet Nick because your wife banished
you to the spare bedroom?
Reggie

I never had a nickname.

So you have only used the name "JoeSparebedroom" in rec.boats? Some
people think you are the late great Doug.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Joe,
I have to ask, did you change your Usenet Nick because your wife
banished you to the spare bedroom?
Reggie

I never had a nickname.

So you have only used the name "JoeSparebedroom" in rec.boats? Some
people think you are the late great Doug.
Reggie

I said I never had a nickname.

Reginald P. Smithers

Reginald P. Smithers wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Joe,
I have to ask, did you change your Usenet Nick because your wife
banished you to the spare bedroom?
Reggie

I never had a nickname.

So you have only used the name "JoeSparebedroom" in rec.boats? Some
people think you are the late great Doug.

So what happened that you were banished to the Spare Bedroom?
--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Black Dog

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

~~ ZOOM~~ right over the head.

THE POINT was that you can just about prove anything you want with any
data set you want.

No ****.

Back in university we used to, just for kicks and because we could
suddenly do statistical analysis with a computer (you wouldn't waste
your time actually calculating this crap), test data sets against
sunspot cycles.

You can make anything (anything we tried anyway), the price of oil, the
state of the stock market, the levels of arsenic in sediments around a
gold deposit, the election of Democratic presidents in the USA,
correlate to sunspot cycles.

That said, global warming and cooling cycles also correlate to sunspot
cycles (surprize!). But in that case, at least, there is an obvious
causal relationship... Well, obvious to some of us.

Reginald P. Smithers wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Joe,
I have to ask, did you change your Usenet Nick because your wife
banished you to the spare bedroom?
Reggie

I never had a nickname.

So you have only used the name "JoeSparebedroom" in rec.boats? Some
people think you are the late great Doug.

So what happened that you were banished to the Spare Bedroom?
--
Reggie

WTF are you talking about?

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Yeah. You do that. And be quiet.

JohnH

Reginald P. Smithers wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers" wrote in message
. ..

Joe,
I have to ask, did you change your Usenet Nick because your wife
banished you to the spare bedroom?
Reggie

I never had a nickname.

So you have only used the name "JoeSparebedroom" in rec.boats? Some
people think you are the late great Doug.

So what happened that you were banished to the Spare Bedroom?
--
Reggie

WTF are you talking about?

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Yeah. You do that. And be quiet.

Paths don't lie.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
basskisser

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

Sean Corbett wrote:
You wrote:

[...]

Show where I cited that quote. I'm the one - the ONLY one - here who
posted the ACTUAL quote.

Who's quoted opinions above do you disagree with?

Third graders know the correct word is "whose".

Childish little snips meant to throw someone off, because you know
you've got

Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom?
Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University?
The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen?

Dr. Lindzen at MIT.

And why?