Don White

Default OT New hobby

Well...I've grown tired of just surviving the winters, and since things
have mellowed out inn this newsgroup I can't even count on a good dustup
to keep me going.
This morning I went to a local music store and bought a Takamine GS-330S
acoustic guitar.
I didn't know what to buy so I let the salesman convince me that this
model was the best value..for a beginner as it was on at a reduced
price. They threw in the case, strap and half a dozen picks... all for
$300.00 CDN.
Next I walked upstairs to the Canadian Conservatory of Music and signed
up for 18 weeks of music lessons.
Classes don't start until next Tuesday night, so I found beginner
lessons online but might have trouble with my frettin' hand. I find the
strings seem close together for my chubby fingers. Anyway, I'll see how
it works out. Gotta do something..... the wife has been called back to
work a month early and I'll be semi-housebound for months.
Back to that chromatic chord...
G major
D major
C major...
mmmm wonder if they do cash refunds at that store?

Don White wrote:
[...]

Stick with it, and practice, practice, practice. Your fingers will get
used to it..... You'll get frustrated, then frustrated some more, then
things will begin to look up, and you'll be amazed at how fast things
then progress. One piece of advice that an excellent guitar teacher
once instilled in me, is to strum and pick properly. Too many teachers
don't teach strumming and picking methods at all, or very little. He
made me practice, and I'm glad he did now....

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
[...]

Hey bass, how long have you been playing? Are you into acoustic or
electric?

JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
[...]

I always wanted to learn to play the guitar but never did. Glad to hear
about a new hobby Don. Just don't sit on the deck of your sailboat at your
marina and play songs like "Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore..." or John
Balushi will come out of his grave to smash your new guitar into a million
pieces. ;-)

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:

[...]

You just want to meet some of those hot Canadian signing chicks...

mmmm ...mmm me and Shania doing a duet on my sailboat.
That might get me through the tough spots.

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Don White wrote:

[...]

And the ones that sing out loud, too.

I'll make them sing...oh baby will I!

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
[...]

Some of both. I've got a Strat (real one!) and an Ovation. I've been
playing about 6 years seriously, fiddled with guitars since childhood.
You?

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
[...]

I wanted to learn to play but got frustrated and quit.

Which Stratocaster do you have?

Doug Kanter

I was thinking of taking up boating.

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
[...]

At first it is frustrating as all hell. I remember thinking, I'll
NEVER, EVER be worth a damned at this. Then, there's this threshold you
cross, kind of like a guitar player epiphony, and then things work, and
you can actually hear something and teach yourself to do it. I clearly
remember the day I played something and said to myself, "damn, that
sounded good!"

Which Stratocaster do you have?

An American Deluxe with SCN pickups, Tobacco Sunburst color, looks alot
like Stevie Ray Vaughn's, only not as beat up!