Don White

Default OT New hobby

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 04:53:20 GMT, "Calif Bill"

. ..

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:54:35 GMT, "Bryan"

m...

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:17:16 GMT, "Bryan"

news:roods19q4ea89mu8jt4ao86djp9t2bu458@4ax. com...

On 12 Jan 2006 13:46:28 -0800, wrote:

An American Deluxe with SCN pickups, Tobacco Sunburst color, looks
alot
like Stevie Ray Vaughn's, only not as beat up

you have a '56 strat?

no offense, but i don't believe it. there can't be more than ten of
those left in the world.

i have a '65 strat in golden sunburst with humbuckers which is pretty
rare.

Unless I'm missing some post's which occurs on occasion, he said he had
"a
real one," not an original or or 56. A real one to me implies made in
America vs the asian versions. The SCN pickups imply a 2004 or later,
but
don't know if SCN's were available before 2004.

a real one would imply a pre-cbs strat - those are real ones.

Well, Shortwave, some of us would just be happy to own a strat made in
America. To us, that would be a real one. Still, I understand your
version
of real versus my version of real. When I go into the store to see if I
can
buy my daughter a strat, I have three choices. A modern strat made in
America or in an Asian country or a vintage $trat. I can afford the one
made in an Asian country. I didn't buy her one, because I couldn't
justify
the price of the one I would want (and I was pretty sure she would last as
long with guitar lessons as she did with piano lessons). Still, I was
sorely tempted to find a way to buy her one that I would want!

if you are talking strats, real strats are the pre-cbs strats. the
post cbs strats were mostly junk. however, the recent reproduction
strats and even a few of the asian ones are fairly decent guitars -
much better than the cbs versions.

hey, get what you can afford - the object is to have fun. i bought my
strat in '65 when i was playing in what is now called a garage band
that made it big on a local basis. over the years, ive collected a
few - a blue mosrite (the guitar the ventures made famous), a clear
acrylic danelectro bass, a '65 gretsch country gentleman autographed
by chet akins, - which is a whole story in an of itself - and an
original fender telecaster. i also have a custom made ovation
ballader which i bought in '85 during my acoustic phase along with a
gibson banjo and a dulcimer i built.

How hard was the dulcimer to build? Hammered or a picked dulcimer? My
daughter is a music therapist with Autistic and other challenged children.
Had thought of building her one. As to cost of piano lessons, my daughters
cost me a lot. Since she got a dual degree in music therapy and piano
performance. And her acoustic guitar cost me I think $600 10 years ago,

dulcimers are a piece iof cake to build if you have the patience and
some wood working experience. even without the experience, if you are
patient, buy a kit. ive built both hammered and strummed ducimers.
ive also built several bowed psaltrys and probably my crowning
achievement, an autoharp. the autoharp was a project, but the results
were worth it.

You're quite the talented guy Tom.
What are you doing in a place like this?
DSK

Have fun first. Remember your goal! Learn to make a few
sounds you like, and pick out a few simple 2 or 3 chord
songs to learn. There are a lot of cool songs that sound
great and aren't very difficult.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
screw that - play 'till you fingers bleed - then you will be a real
guitar player.

Or, much more likely, you'll give up on the whole idea of
such a stupid & masochistic pastime. Like 99.9% of the
people who pick up a musical instrument.

It's true that there's a fine line between having a hobby
and being obsessed.

And If I hear any more crap about "real" Strats I'll bop you
over the head with my Fender arch-top... yes it's
acoustic... or if really annoyed will use my Gibson.

Regards
Doug King

Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message

dulcimers are a piece iof cake to build if you have the patience and
some wood working experience. even without the experience, if you are
patient, buy a kit. ive built both hammered and strummed ducimers.
ive also built several bowed psaltrys and probably my crowning
achievement, an autoharp. the autoharp was a project, but the results
were worth it.

You're quite the talented guy Tom.
What are you doing in a place like this?

He's typing with one hand, and we don't know exactly what he's doing with
the other, and you ask a question like that? I think the answer's pretty
obvious.

Don White

Reggie Smithers wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:41:56 -0500, DSK wrote:

"Don White" wrote ...

Just foolin' around with this one...
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm

I wish there had been resources like this back when I was learning to
play. Maybe it's time to work seriously on improving....

Anyway, congrats Don, it's a great hobby and I hope you have a lot of
fun. One bit of advice, you'll be amazed at how cool it is to go
sailing with your guitar and play in the wild, and also you'll be
amazed at how bulky & awkward it is to stow a guitar on your boat!

-rick- wrote:

A tip...

At first it's tempting not to use your pinky finger when playing
scales. I made that mistake as a kid (self taught). It's hard to
retrain the fingers later.

Agreed, one should develop good technique from the start BUT:

Have fun first. Remember your goal! Learn to make a few sounds you
like, and pick out a few simple 2 or 3 chord songs to learn. There
are a lot of cool songs that sound great and aren't very difficult.

screw that - play 'till you fingers bleed - then you will be a real
guitar player.

with a bloody fret board.

The Beatles included that in a song.

"I got blisters on my fingers" John lennon... White Album??
Don White

Doug Kanter wrote:

im operating on one
hand at the moment.

That's disgusting. I know we're all interesting guys, but come on, Tom. We
don't wanna hear about that ****. Jeez.....do you do that in the boat, when
clients are along for the ride?

Thought the multi-talented Tom meant he is a surgeon in his spare time
and was operating on his own hand.

JimH

-rick- wrote:

A tip...

At first it's tempting not to use your pinky finger when playing
scales. I made that mistake as a kid (self taught). It's hard to
retrain the fingers later.

Agreed, one should develop good technique from the start BUT:

Have fun first. Remember your goal! Learn to make a few sounds you
like, and pick out a few simple 2 or 3 chord songs to learn. There are
a lot of cool songs that sound great and aren't very difficult.

screw that - play 'till you fingers bleed - then you will be a real
guitar player.

with a bloody fret board.

The Beatles included that in a song.

"I got blisters on my fingers" John lennon... White Album??

Yes. But not Lennon. Ringo, White Album, Disc 2, 'Helter Skelter'.

Bryan

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bryan wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:00:14 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Takamine

built by kaman who makes ovation - good choice.

My first acoustic was a Takamine. It was a very nice guitar. Don't have
it
anymore and don't play anymore. Probably still a great choice for an
affordable quality first acoustic.

Yes, Takamine makes pretty decent guitars. a friend has an
acoustic/electric 12 string that is pretty sweet sounding.

My friends with Martins also had something nice to say about my Takamine and
didn't hesitate to use mine when they didn't have theirs, but it still was
never a Martin.

Eisboch

Default OT New hobby... strad vs strat

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:52:58 -0500, DSK wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
I watched an interesting television show the other day (History Channel,
think). The subject was that of trying to unlock the mystery of the
superior
tonal quality of a Stradivarius violin. Many theories have been put
forth
over the years, the most popular being that he used a secret lacquer.
Turns
out not to be true. The "secret" was simply that he lived during a
cyclic
climate era with very little rain, resulting in slow tree growth and
closely
spaced tree rings in the wood.

If that were true, then every instrument made during that
period would have similar tonal qualities, no?

Some years ago I read an article about an instrument maker
trying to duplicate Stradivari's tone, and he had good
results soaking the wood in various thinned resins. He used
a different material to soak the top & back of the violin,
and supposedly produced varying tone qualities... his
instruments were "approaching" Stadivari's but none
duplicated the sound. This article mentioned the wood
density due to climate & special lacquer, too.

ive read everything from climate to specific density of the wood to -
jeese about anything you can think of.

personally, i doubt that a strad that made it to today sounds anything
like it did originally if only because of the different quality
strings.

Yep. Plus, what do they make the bow strings of? Horse tail hairs, I
think. Horses have evolved since then. Just ask Mrs. E.

Eisboch

Eisboch

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:56:07 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

let me see - i can take that comment as that horses have evolved...

or...

i can take that comment to mean that mrs. e was around back when
stradivari was making violins and has personal knowledge of horses
evolving.

which, of course, would be your fault because you said it - i didn't.

hmmmm - what to do - what to do...

Oh, S&%#$! She lurks here. .... Since she's out .... I think I'll go a
quick "catch-up" on her computer's newsfeeder.

Eisboch

Don White

Bryan wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

Takamine

built by kaman who makes ovation - good choice.

My first acoustic was a Takamine. It was a very nice guitar. Don't have
it
anymore and don't play anymore. Probably still a great choice for an
affordable quality first acoustic.

Yes, Takamine makes pretty decent guitars. a friend has an
acoustic/electric 12 string that is pretty sweet sounding.

My friends with Martins also had something nice to say about my Takamine and
didn't hesitate to use mine when they didn't have theirs, but it still was
never a Martin.

That makes me feel better. You never know when a salesman is taking
advantage of a 'rube' to unload something.