JimH

Default OT New hobby

"Don White" wrote in message
Well...I've grown tired of just surviving the winters, and since things
have mellowed out inn this newsgroup I can't even count on a good dustup
to keep me going.
This morning I went to a local music store and bought a Takamine GS-330S
acoustic guitar.
I didn't know what to buy so I let the salesman convince me that this
model was the best value..for a beginner as it was on at a reduced price.
They threw in the case, strap and half a dozen picks... all for $300.00
CDN.
Next I walked upstairs to the Canadian Conservatory of Music and signed up
for 18 weeks of music lessons.
Classes don't start until next Tuesday night, so I found beginner lessons
online but might have trouble with my frettin' hand. I find the strings
seem close together for my chubby fingers. Anyway, I'll see how it works
out. Gotta do something..... the wife has been called back to work a
month early and I'll be semi-housebound for months.
Back to that chromatic chord...
G major
D major
C major...
mmmm wonder if they do cash refunds at that store?

I always wanted to learn to play the guitar but never did. Glad to hear
about a new hobby Don. Just don't sit on the deck of your sailboat at your
marina and play songs like "Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore..." or John
Balushi will come out of his grave to smash your new guitar into a million
pieces. ;-)

Doug Kanter

I was thinking of taking up boating.

Don White

Doug Kanter wrote:
I was thinking of taking up boating.

Take it to 'rec.boats.cruising'
jabadoodle

Don,

What online lessons are you trying. There is a company not too far from me
in Pittsfield MA that just opened up music lesson operations via the
internet.
Called WorkShopLive.com. I've not even checked out their web site yet.
Guess I will go have a look now.

Best of luck,
Gary

Don White

jabadoodle wrote:
Don,

What online lessons are you trying. There is a company not too far from me
in Pittsfield MA that just opened up music lesson operations via the
internet.
Called WorkShopLive.com. I've not even checked out their web site yet.
Guess I will go have a look now.

Best of luck,
Gary

Just foolin' around with this one...
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm

-rick-

"Don White" wrote ...

Just foolin' around with this one...
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm

A tip...

At first it's tempting not to use your pinky finger when playing scales. I made
that mistake as a kid (self taught). It's hard to retrain the fingers later.

-rick-

DSK

"Don White" wrote ...
Just foolin' around with this one...
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm

I wish there had been resources like this back when I was
learning to play. Maybe it's time to work seriously on
improving....

Anyway, congrats Don, it's a great hobby and I hope you have
a lot of fun. One bit of advice, you'll be amazed at how
cool it is to go sailing with your guitar and play in the
wild, and also you'll be amazed at how bulky & awkward it is
to stow a guitar on your boat!

-rick- wrote:
A tip...

At first it's tempting not to use your pinky finger when playing scales. I made
that mistake as a kid (self taught). It's hard to retrain the fingers later.

Agreed, one should develop good technique from the start BUT:

Have fun first. Remember your goal! Learn to make a few
sounds you like, and pick out a few simple 2 or 3 chord
songs to learn. There are a lot of cool songs that sound
great and aren't very difficult.

Regards
Doug King

Good luck with that.

I'm now a little more than a year into my bagpipe lessons. You want an
oddball instrument, the bagpipe qualifies. The first thing one needs to
do is learn to "unread" music, as the time values are only approximate.

I can play any sort of keyboard in my sleep. (in fact, many people have
observed my palying might improve if I woke up)......but darnarewskis
if that 9-note bagpipe chanter isn't every bit as difficult to master
as an 88-note keyboard. :-)

Reggie Smithers

Don White wrote:
wrote:
Good luck with that.

I'm now a little more than a year into my bagpipe lessons. You want an
oddball instrument, the bagpipe qualifies. The first thing one needs to
do is learn to "unread" music, as the time values are only approximate.

I can play any sort of keyboard in my sleep. (in fact, many people have
observed my palying might improve if I woke up)......but darnarewskis
if that 9-note bagpipe chanter isn't every bit as difficult to master
as an 88-note keyboard. :-)

Bagpipes??
I'll have to leave that to my cousins. I'd be kicked out of the
neighbourhood if I started wailing on our shoulder to shoulder 40' x
100' city lots.
see cousin's book...
http://www.cranfordpub.com/books/mackenzie.htm

In NYC, where there is a very large group of Scots and Irish blokes, you
find people practicing the bagpipes in Central Park. I don't think they
do this so others can enjoy the music. My guess is they do this so
their neighbors don't complain.

I love Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.

--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss