Eisboch

Default OT New hobby

wrote in message
ups.com...

Here's what mine looks like:
http://www.blackcreekguitars.com/04-...-Strat-001.jpg

Since we're showing off guitars, here's one of mine. Not a Fender though.
It's a Les Paul Gibson Standard. Nothing special, but a sweet sounding
guitar.

http://tinyurl.com/94whl

Eisboch

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

The "secret" was that Stradivari was an innovative, master craftsman,
someone absolutely unique and a person whose skills cannot be duplicated.
I guarantee you that if he were alive today, he'd still be making the best
violins, cellos, guitars, violas, and harps. Do you think Leonardo would
be anything but a master's master were he alive today?

Methinks our society places too much effort on analyzing genius rather
than enjoying it. Perhaps it is because we no longer live in an era of
geniuses and giants.

Or, to a degree, the perpetuation of myths. I doubt many could distinguish
a modern, well made violin from a Stradivarius in a blind audition. Some
might, but very few, I suspect.

Eisboch

Reggie Smithers

Harry Krause wrote:
Reggie Smithers wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
Reggie Smithers wrote:
Bryan wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:54:35 GMT, "Bryan"

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:17:16 GMT, "Bryan"

On 12 Jan 2006 13:46:28 -0800, wrote:

An American Deluxe with SCN pickups, Tobacco Sunburst color,
looks alot
like Stevie Ray Vaughn's, only not as beat up
you have a '56 strat?

no offense, but i don't believe it. there can't be more than
ten of
those left in the world.

i have a '65 strat in golden sunburst with humbuckers which is
pretty
rare.
Unless I'm missing some post's which occurs on occasion, he
said he had "a
real one," not an original or or 56. A real one to me implies
made in
America vs the asian versions. The SCN pickups imply a 2004 or
later, but
don't know if SCN's were available before 2004.
a real one would imply a pre-cbs strat - those are real ones.
Well, Shortwave, some of us would just be happy to own a strat
made in
America. To us, that would be a real one. Still, I understand
your version
of real versus my version of real. When I go into the store to
see if I can
buy my daughter a strat, I have three choices. A modern strat
made in
America or in an Asian country or a vintage $trat. I can afford
the one
made in an Asian country. I didn't buy her one, because I
couldn't justify
the price of the one I would want (and I was pretty sure she
would last as
long with guitar lessons as she did with piano lessons). Still,
I was
sorely tempted to find a way to buy her one that I would want!
if you are talking strats, real strats are the pre-cbs strats. the
post cbs strats were mostly junk. however, the recent reproduction
strats and even a few of the asian ones are fairly decent guitars -
much better than the cbs versions.

hey, get what you can afford - the object is to have fun. i
bought my
strat in '65 when i was playing in what is now called a garage band
that made it big on a local basis. over the years, ive collected a
few - a blue mosrite (the guitar the ventures made famous), a clear
acrylic danelectro bass, a '65 gretsch country gentleman autographed
by chet akins, - which is a whole story in an of itself - and an
original fender telecaster. i also have a custom made ovation
ballader which i bought in '85 during my acoustic phase along with a
gibson banjo and a dulcimer i built.
Glad you stayed with the art. I miss my old Takamine; was it an F
360? I can't remember, but that number just popped into my head.
I played bass. I also miss my Rickenbacker 4003 basses (Natural,
Black, and White).

What makes a strat made today not a real strat? Why are pre-cbs
strats the only real strats and today's are just reproductions?

It has to do with the tone of the early strats. sort of like the
tone of a STRATOVARIUS Violin has a unique tone ; ). There are many
people who are just as picky about their pre-cbs strats guitars and
the old Fender Amps.

Ebay has a 1955 Fender Strat and a Vintage 1956 Fender Amp for sale.
After 67 bids the current bid price is over $50,000 and the reserve
price has not been meet.

Fender has tried to duplicate the tone of the early guitars and amps
with their Retro Series, but the true Connoisseur still prefer the
original.

I'm telling you, there's just nothing quite like rec.boats.

There's no such thing as a STRATOVARIUS Violin, unless it exists as a
joke.

There are the many wonderful stringed instruments made by Antonio
Stradivari, violins and cellos mostly, and these commonly are called
Stradivarius instruments, because the maker used Latin to label his
products, and "Latinized" his last name.

Yo-Yo Ma, the renowned cellist, plays a Strad, not a Strat. His is
the famous Davidov cello. He inherited it from the late. wonderful,
and greatly missed Jacqueline du Pre.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled servings of misinformation...

The misspelling of Stradivarius was copied from Goggle but I do
appreciate you correcting the error. I do think you might have missed
the point of the post, it was concerning Strats and original amps.

No offense, but some things have meaning for me, and I hate to see
errors burned forever into the electrons of usenet. I don't know dick
about electric guitars.

No offense taken, the misspelling of a Stad. needed to be corrected, for
anyone who knew better it stood out like a sore thumb.

--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss
Reggie Smithers

wrote:

[...]

I put the SCN's on. My strat sounds absolutely beautiful, and I never
ever implied that I own an original '56. It's a real strat, made in the
U.S., using the same woods as the old ones, not made in Mexico.
Everyone I know that REALLY knows anything about strats really like
mine.

Bass,
For the average person when they say "real" they mean a Made in the USA.
The difference in the Mexico and USA Strats not only include the wood
but all of the components.

For the fanatics, they mean the pre-cbs. ; ) Anyone who knows Tom
knows he is a fanatic.

Anyone who would pay $50,000 for a used guitar and amp would qualify as
a fanatic. ; )

Eisboch wrote:
"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
It has to do with the tone of the early strats. sort of like the tone of a
STRATOVARIUS Violin has a unique tone ; ). There are many people who are
just as picky about their pre-cbs strats guitars and the old Fender Amps.

I watched an interesting television show the other day (History Channel, I
think). The subject was that of trying to unlock the mystery of the superior
tonal quality of a Stradivarius violin. Many theories have been put forth
over the years, the most popular being that he used a secret lacquer. Turns
out not to be true. The "secret" was simply that he lived during a cyclic
climate era with very little rain, resulting in slow tree growth and closely
spaced tree rings in the wood.

Eisboch

Richard,
I saw the same show, but they could not figure out why other violin
makers who were using the same wood could not duplicate the Strads sound.

--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss
boating, please do not respond to the political and inflammatory
off- topic posts and flames.
Reggie Smithers

Don White wrote:
wrote:
Good luck with that.

I'm now a little more than a year into my bagpipe lessons. You want an
oddball instrument, the bagpipe qualifies. The first thing one needs to
do is learn to "unread" music, as the time values are only approximate.

I can play any sort of keyboard in my sleep. (in fact, many people have
observed my palying might improve if I woke up)......but darnarewskis
if that 9-note bagpipe chanter isn't every bit as difficult to master
as an 88-note keyboard. :-)

Bagpipes??
I'll have to leave that to my cousins. I'd be kicked out of the
neighbourhood if I started wailing on our shoulder to shoulder 40' x
100' city lots.
see cousin's book...
http://www.cranfordpub.com/books/mackenzie.htm

In NYC, where there is a very large group of Scots and Irish blokes, you
find people practicing the bagpipes in Central Park. I don't think they
do this so others can enjoy the music. My guess is they do this so
their neighbors don't complain.

I love Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Here's what mine looks like:
http://www.blackcreekguitars.com/04-...-Strat-001.jpg

Since we're showing off guitars, here's one of mine. Not a Fender though.
It's a Les Paul Gibson Standard. Nothing special, but a sweet sounding
guitar.

http://tinyurl.com/94whl

Eisboch

My brother is the Gibson guitar man in our family. Sweet sounding
guitars, that's for sure. Nothing special? Original Les Paul's are
outstanding!

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Here's what mine looks like:
http://www.blackcreekguitars.com/04-...-Strat-001.jpg

Since we're showing off guitars, here's one of mine. Not a Fender though.
It's a Les Paul Gibson Standard. Nothing special, but a sweet sounding
guitar.

http://tinyurl.com/94whl

Eisboch

Is the Marshall amp an old tube amp, or solid state?

DSK

Default OT New hobby... strad vs strat

Eisboch wrote:
I watched an interesting television show the other day (History Channel, I
think). The subject was that of trying to unlock the mystery of the superior
tonal quality of a Stradivarius violin. Many theories have been put forth
over the years, the most popular being that he used a secret lacquer. Turns
out not to be true. The "secret" was simply that he lived during a cyclic
climate era with very little rain, resulting in slow tree growth and closely
spaced tree rings in the wood.

If that were true, then every instrument made during that
period would have similar tonal qualities, no?

Some years ago I read an article about an instrument maker
trying to duplicate Stradivari's tone, and he had good
results soaking the wood in various thinned resins. He used
a different material to soak the top & back of the violin,
and supposedly produced varying tone qualities... his
instruments were "approaching" Stadivari's but none
duplicated the sound. This article mentioned the wood
density due to climate & special lacquer, too.

DSK