Reggie Smithers

Default OT New hobby

Harry Krause wrote:
Reggie Smithers wrote:
Bryan wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:54:35 GMT, "Bryan"

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:17:16 GMT, "Bryan"

On 12 Jan 2006 13:46:28 -0800, wrote:

An American Deluxe with SCN pickups, Tobacco Sunburst color,
looks alot
like Stevie Ray Vaughn's, only not as beat up
you have a '56 strat?

no offense, but i don't believe it. there can't be more than
ten of
those left in the world.

i have a '65 strat in golden sunburst with humbuckers which is
pretty
rare.
Unless I'm missing some post's which occurs on occasion, he said
he had "a
real one," not an original or or 56. A real one to me implies
made in
America vs the asian versions. The SCN pickups imply a 2004 or
later, but
don't know if SCN's were available before 2004.
a real one would imply a pre-cbs strat - those are real ones.
Well, Shortwave, some of us would just be happy to own a strat made in
America. To us, that would be a real one. Still, I understand
your version
of real versus my version of real. When I go into the store to see
if I can
buy my daughter a strat, I have three choices. A modern strat made in
America or in an Asian country or a vintage $trat. I can afford
the one
made in an Asian country. I didn't buy her one, because I couldn't
justify
the price of the one I would want (and I was pretty sure she would
last as
long with guitar lessons as she did with piano lessons). Still, I was
sorely tempted to find a way to buy her one that I would want!
if you are talking strats, real strats are the pre-cbs strats. the
post cbs strats were mostly junk. however, the recent reproduction
strats and even a few of the asian ones are fairly decent guitars -
much better than the cbs versions.

hey, get what you can afford - the object is to have fun. i bought my
strat in '65 when i was playing in what is now called a garage band
that made it big on a local basis. over the years, ive collected a
few - a blue mosrite (the guitar the ventures made famous), a clear
acrylic danelectro bass, a '65 gretsch country gentleman autographed
by chet akins, - which is a whole story in an of itself - and an
original fender telecaster. i also have a custom made ovation
ballader which i bought in '85 during my acoustic phase along with a
gibson banjo and a dulcimer i built.
Glad you stayed with the art. I miss my old Takamine; was it an F
360? I can't remember, but that number just popped into my head. I
played bass. I also miss my Rickenbacker 4003 basses (Natural,
Black, and White).

What makes a strat made today not a real strat? Why are pre-cbs
strats the only real strats and today's are just reproductions?

It has to do with the tone of the early strats. sort of like the tone
of a STRATOVARIUS Violin has a unique tone ; ). There are many people
who are just as picky about their pre-cbs strats guitars and the old
Fender Amps.

Ebay has a 1955 Fender Strat and a Vintage 1956 Fender Amp for sale.
After 67 bids the current bid price is over $50,000 and the reserve
price has not been meet.

Fender has tried to duplicate the tone of the early guitars and amps
with their Retro Series, but the true Connoisseur still prefer the
original.

I'm telling you, there's just nothing quite like rec.boats.

There's no such thing as a STRATOVARIUS Violin, unless it exists as a joke.

There are the many wonderful stringed instruments made by Antonio
Stradivari, violins and cellos mostly, and these commonly are called
Stradivarius instruments, because the maker used Latin to label his
products, and "Latinized" his last name.

Yo-Yo Ma, the renowned cellist, plays a Strad, not a Strat. His is the
famous Davidov cello. He inherited it from the late. wonderful, and
greatly missed Jacqueline du Pre.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled servings of misinformation...

The misspelling of Stradivarius was copied from Goggle but I do
appreciate you correcting the error. I do think you might have missed
the point of the post, it was concerning Strats and original amps.
--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss

Bryan wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:17:16 GMT, "Bryan"

. ..
[...]

I put the SCN's on. My strat sounds absolutely beautiful, and I never
ever implied that I own an original '56. It's a real strat, made in the
U.S., using the same woods as the old ones, not made in Mexico.
Everyone I know that REALLY knows anything about strats really like
mine.

Bryan wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:00:14 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Takamine

built by kaman who makes ovation - good choice.

My first acoustic was a Takamine. It was a very nice guitar. Don't have it
anymore and don't play anymore. Probably still a great choice for an
affordable quality first acoustic.

Yes, Takamine makes pretty decent guitars. a friend has an
acoustic/electric 12 string that is pretty sweet sounding.

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
Well...I've grown tired of just surviving the winters, and since things
have mellowed out inn this newsgroup I can't even count on a good dustup
to keep me going.
This morning I went to a local music store and bought a Takamine GS-330S
acoustic guitar.
I didn't know what to buy so I let the salesman convince me that this
model was the best value..for a beginner as it was on at a reduced
price. They threw in the case, strap and half a dozen picks... all for
$300.00 CDN.
Next I walked upstairs to the Canadian Conservatory of Music and signed
up for 18 weeks of music lessons.
Classes don't start until next Tuesday night, so I found beginner
lessons online but might have trouble with my frettin' hand. I find the
strings seem close together for my chubby fingers. Anyway, I'll see how
it works out. Gotta do something..... the wife has been called back to
work a month early and I'll be semi-housebound for months.
Back to that chromatic chord...
G major
D major
C major...
mmmm wonder if they do cash refunds at that store?

Stick with it, and practice, practice, practice. Your fingers will get
used to it.....

You have to get the ends of your fingers toughened up and calloused. Most
people quit because after a week or so their finger tips hurt too much.

Eisboch

That's certainly a first step. SRV used to play so much (he used very
heavy gauge strings) that his calouses would come off, and he'd super
glue them back.

Eisboch

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message

It has to do with the tone of the early strats. sort of like the tone of a
STRATOVARIUS Violin has a unique tone ; ). There are many people who are
just as picky about their pre-cbs strats guitars and the old Fender Amps.

I watched an interesting television show the other day (History Channel, I
think). The subject was that of trying to unlock the mystery of the superior
tonal quality of a Stradivarius violin. Many theories have been put forth
over the years, the most popular being that he used a secret lacquer. Turns
out not to be true. The "secret" was simply that he lived during a cyclic
climate era with very little rain, resulting in slow tree growth and closely
spaced tree rings in the wood.

Eisboch

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:28:13 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudadATyahooDOT
com wrote:

.. .
On 12 Jan 2006 13:46:28 -0800, wrote:

An American Deluxe with SCN pickups, Tobacco Sunburst color, looks alot
like Stevie Ray Vaughn's, only not as beat up

you have a '56 strat?

no offense, but i don't believe it. there can't be more than ten of
those left in the world.

Huh????

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsde...es/000087.html

that's a reproduction - i thought he said he had an original.

i could be wrong though.

in which case i apologise.

Apology accepted.

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
[...]

used to it..... You'll get frustrated, then frustrated some more,
then
things will begin to look up, and you'll be amazed at how fast
things
then progress. One piece of advice that an excellent guitar teacher
once instilled in me, is to strum and pick properly. Too many
teachers
don't teach strumming and picking methods at all, or very little. He
made me practice, and I'm glad he did now....

Hey bass, how long have you been playing? Are you into acoustic or
electric?

Some of both. I've got a Strat (real one!) and an Ovation. I've been
playing about 6 years seriously, fiddled with guitars since childhood.
You?

I wanted to learn to play but got frustrated and quit.

At first it is frustrating as all hell. I remember thinking, I'll
NEVER, EVER be worth a damned at this. Then, there's this threshold you
cross, kind of like a guitar player epiphony, and then things work, and
you can actually hear something and teach yourself to do it. I clearly
remember the day I played something and said to myself, "damn, that
sounded good!"

Which Stratocaster do you have?

An American Deluxe with SCN pickups, Tobacco Sunburst color, looks alot
like Stevie Ray Vaughn's, only not as beat up!

Is this it?

http://tinyurl.com/amrbd

If so, very nice! And very expensive!

I bought mine used, and it was kind of a distress sale, $800, again,
never said it was an original "56!!!!

Here's what mine looks like:
http://www.blackcreekguitars.com/04-...-Strat-001.jpg

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
[...]

Here's a pic of Eric Heatherly's strat, that thing is sweet....notice
the paint wore off under his pick hand:
http://www.countryragepage.com/image...0Heatherly.jpg