JimH

Default Eyewitness: "I Never Heard the Word 'Bomb'"

"John H." wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:41:53 -0500, "Lord Reginald Smithers" Ask me about
my driveway leading up to
my manor. wrote:

JohnH,

I am not Catholic, but I thought Christmas Mass was like a Jewish Temple
for
the High Holidays. You had so many people showing up that they had
trouble
sitting all of the people who wanted to attend. Many temples will provide
tickets to the active members of the temple. Do they ever limit
attendance
to at the Church to active Catholics? Or do they allow the dregs of
society
in?

I am just wondering how Harry is allowed to attend Christmas Mass. A non
Catholic, who is not even a Christian. Does this mean an active, devote
Catholic will have to stand up in the back of Church so Harry can attend
Mass?

Most Catholic churches have a 'midnight mass' which is, as you say,
packed. There are also masses on
Christmas day, but the midnight mass seems to be the most popular. I've
never heard of tickets being
used, or any other attempt to limit attendance. The dregs are allowed.

If Harry is attending such a mass, then he surely has a motive. My guess
is that he was invited to
attend by someone to whom he feels a need to 'suck up'. Or, he just wants
to be able to disparage
the mass next time he's in the group. Or both.

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you Peace, Fellowship, and Good Humor as we celebrate the birth of
OUR Lord, Jesus Christ on the Christmas Holy Day.

Both of you are appearing a bit foolish for putting down a man planning to
attend Christmas mass.

John, you may want to take your sig line to heart,. ;-)

Skipper

Bert Robbins wrote:

I have heard that the Jewish Temples will reserve, for a fee, a seat for
those that regularly attend services and for those the have a very fat check
book, this is according to my next door neighbor who is Jewish.

I am just wondering how Harry is allowed to attend Christmas Mass. A non
Catholic, who is not even a Christian. Does this mean an active, devote
Catholic will have to stand up in the back of Church so Harry can attend
Mass?

Everyone is welcome, even Harry. The Catholic are in the business of saving
souls and contrary to popular belief Harry has a soul and it is worth trying
to save.

Proof, I'd need proof.

--
Skipper
John H.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:07:52 GMT, "Doug Kanter" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

Bull****! You said, "...your stinking religion..." I am Catholic, and have
probably said so in the
group, or at least implied same. In any case, you've undoubtedly got the
information in your
'rec.boats data base'.

I find Catholicism amazing, if only for the way it takes what could be a
half hour wedding ceremony and turns it into something else entirely. At the
last one, my wife and I heard "with Jesus", "in Jesus", "for Jesus", etc. so
many times that we really wondered exactly who was getting married - the
bride & groom, or one of them to Jesus, in absentia. And, we got some
terrific leg exercise. Stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up, sit
down....at least 1000 times.

The reception was held in the large meeting room of a local gun club, which
made for some interesting humor.

Normally, a wedding ceremony is part of a mass. It is added to what would normally be a mass. It may
have been what the Catholic Church refers to as a 'High Mass', which is quite a bit longer than a
regular mass (much more 'pomp and circumstance', although I don't mean that in a derogatory way).

The number of times you hear the name 'Jesus' is very dependent on the scripture readings and the
gospel reading for the particular day. In some of those the word is seldom used, in others it's used
quite frequently.

Catholicism *is* amazing. I'm not nearly as steadfast in my practice as I used to be, because the
Church and I disagree on a few points.

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you Peace, Fellowship, and Good Humor as we celebrate the birth of OUR Lord, Jesus Christ on the Christmas Holy Day.
thunder

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:47:29 -0500, Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:

JohnH,

I am not Catholic, but I thought Christmas Mass was like a Jewish Temple
for the High Holidays. You had so many people showing up that they had
trouble sitting all of the people who wanted to attend. Many temples will
provide tickets to the active members of the temple. Do they ever limit
attendance to at the Church to active Catholics? Or do they allow the
dregs of society in?

I am just wondering how Harry is allowed to attend Christmas Mass. A non
Catholic, who is not even a Christian. Does this mean an active, devote
Catholic will have to stand up in the back of Church so Harry can attend
Mass?

FWIW, I've never heard of a Catholic Church limiting attendance. There
are many "Catholics" who only attend church on those special occasions,
Christmas and Easter. To receive Communion one is expected to be a
practicing Catholic, but to attend the service, all are welcome.
John H.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:19:45 -0500, " JimH" wrote:

.. .
my manor. wrote:

[...]

When a man refers to 'your stinking religion' and then proclaims his plan to attend a solemn high
mass, he deserves to be put down.

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you Peace, Fellowship, and Good Humor as we celebrate the birth of OUR Lord, Jesus Christ on the Christmas Holy Day.

Doug Kanter

"John H." wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:07:52 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Here's one of many reasons I avoid *all* religions, except fishing.
Somewhere, there is a secret society that teaches janitors or building
management people how to make certain rooms unliveable. It usually involves
cranking the heat up to about 90, but somehow doing it without moving the
air, so it's as stuffy as possible. Churches and synagogues are the worst in
this regard. It's insulting. I won't go, unless someone dies or gets
married.

Incidentally, the same mutants are hired by schools. At night, when nobody's
there, they come and adjust the water fountains so the stream is so low that
you have to touch the metal in order to get water. The goal is to spread as
much disease as possible. If these mutants turn out to be incompetent at
this task, they're demoted and become school bus drivers.

John H.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:39:48 GMT, "Doug Kanter" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message

[...]

Putting 1000 people in a 4000 square foot room *will* raise the temperature, which was probably
originally set at 78 F so everyone would be 'comfortable'. I'm with you. During winter, the temp
should be set at 60F as most everyone will have their coats with them anyway.

Kids! They shove gum into the water fountains. Pocket knives are not allowed, so teachers can't dig
the gum out. (Been there, done that!)

--
John H

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you Peace, Fellowship, and Good Humor as we celebrate the birth of OUR Lord, Jesus Christ on the Christmas Holy Day.
thunder

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:00:15 -0500, John H. wrote:

Your words, not mine. I've never used that phrase to refer to the
Catholic church.

\
George W. Bush: American Nero.

Bull****! You said, "...your stinking religion..." I am Catholic, and have
probably said so in the group, or at least implied same. In any case,
you've undoubtedly got the information in your 'rec.boats data base'.

A little spinning there, aren't you John? When Harry used that phrase the
meaning was clear. It was a statement on the separation of church and
state, not a slight on any religion.

The context:

As I have oft posted: this is America; keep your stinking religion out
of my state. What you do in your home or in your church or in your
church-related schools is the business of you and your co-religionists,
but please don't try to shovel those activities or beliefs onto the rest
of us through governmental action.
Lord Reginald Smithers

JimH,

I was very serious about "tickets" for popular services. It is used by Jews
for High Holidays and I know many Protestant religions use them for special
services. While some Protestants services may actually sell tickets for a
Choral Service or Orchestra Service, I have seen where members just need to
ask for a certain number of tickets so people will know they can be seated
when they arrive. My question about limiting the Christmas Mass to
Catholics was serious. My comment about the "dregs of society" was not.
Well, maybe it was only half serious. ; )

" JimH" wrote in message
. ..

my manor. wrote:

[...]

Thunder,
I disagree with you and it appears that you are doing some spinning for
Harry. Harry considers himself a master Wordsmith. That sentence could
have been written without the word "stinking" and the would meant exactly
how you interpreted Harry's statement, i.e. it is important to keep church
and state separate. When Harry used the adjective "stinking" (an adjective
with definite negative connotation) he was editorializing either JohnH's
religion, or religion in general.