Henry Blackmoore

Default Beautiful day on the Bay **Texas fishing report

In article , John H wrote:

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

More and more of us up here are using circle hooks. They do take some getting
used to. The urge to set the hook is strong, after many years of doing what my
daddy said. I've lost a lot of stripers because of impatience - trying to pull
them in before the circle hook had set. Since many of the stripers caught on
cut
bait don't meet the minimum length (18") a lot get released. With circle hooks,
I've never gut-hooked one, so I'm pretty sure they all lived after release.
That
is a nice feeling.

Circle hooks don't seem to snag as much on the rocks and other junk either...

:^)

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

QLW

"Henry Blackmoore" wrote in message
ink.net...
In article , John H

wrote:

Circle hooks don't seem to snag as much on the rocks and other junk

either...

We hook a lot of 16" to 19" redfish that we have to throw back and we have
gone to circle hooks for that reason. I even hang shad and shrimp plastic
tails on them and they work great under the lights. I make no attempt to
thread the hook into the tails like you would with a straight hook because
that does make them swim weird. You would not think that plastic would
"swim" well on a circle hook but I've got a freezer full of fish that say
they do. I'll often put a tiny split lead just above the hook to get a
little more cast distance and to allow the tail to swim lower. Looks like
it's going to be a great year of fishing on Galveston Bay.

Henry Blackmoore

In article , "QLW" wrote:

"Henry Blackmoore" wrote in message
link.net...
In article , John H

wrote:

Circle hooks don't seem to snag as much on the rocks and other junk

either...

We hook a lot of 16" to 19" redfish that we have to throw back and we have
gone to circle hooks for that reason. I even hang shad and shrimp plastic
tails on them and they work great under the lights. I make no attempt to
thread the hook into the tails like you would with a straight hook because
that does make them swim weird. You would not think that plastic would
"swim" well on a circle hook but I've got a freezer full of fish that say
they do. I'll often put a tiny split lead just above the hook to get a
little more cast distance and to allow the tail to swim lower. Looks like
it's going to be a great year of fishing on Galveston Bay.

Yup, reds are up in numbers again, trout are holding steady and in record
numbers, blue crabs are making a steady come back, it all certainly looks
good.

Ever try 'dredging' for trout??

Tom

Yup, reds are up in numbers again, trout are holding steady and in record
numbers, blue crabs are making a steady come back, it all certainly looks
good.

A friend of mine has a place on Double Bayou and he's been catching
crabs off his pier for the first time in ages. He's also caught some
shrimp with pinchers - ever seen that before??

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:06:56 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

We did manage to boat about a dozen white perch, so at least we got a
meal out of the deal.

Are you talking about tautog?

Also put a few small spot in the bucket in case we ran out of bloodworms.

What am are a spot?

Sounds like a great day. A little windy up here for me as my
Contender is now up for the winter. A little early this year, but
I've got to have an ankle fusion in another month or so the usual
December haul out is not a great idea.

I'm going to keep the Ranger ready for those occasional nice days that
happen up here in NE - probably put it up right before Thanksgiving.

Nice report.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:33:11 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

We did manage to boat about a dozen white perch, so at least we got a
meal out of the deal.

Are you talking about tautog?

Also put a few small spot in the bucket in case we ran out of bloodworms.

What am are a spot?

Sounds like a great day. A little windy up here for me as my
Contender is now up for the winter. A little early this year, but
I've got to have an ankle fusion in another month or so the usual
December haul out is not a great idea.

I'm going to keep the Ranger ready for those occasional nice days that
happen up here in NE - probably put it up right before Thanksgiving.

Nice report.

White perch --
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...ch/wperch.html

I knew this - should smack myself one.