thunder

Default A beautiful couple of days boating!

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 04:34:49 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Did run off a boat trying to pull the Telstars pots. Da$$%$$%%^% thieves.

A Farallon boat pulled away from the my pot area when we came to them,
so figure that my string had been poached!

Just coincidence, or is poaching common for that area?
Calif Bill

As you political whores argue the merits of 2 candidates of the ultra
politically connected, I went boating. Off to Ft. Bragg, CA Thursday for
some crabbing for dungeness crabs and salmon. Windy when we got their
Thursday afternoon. and the harbor mouth at the Noyo river was breaking.
Forecast for less wind for the weekend. We booked a trip on Telstar fishing
for Friday http://www.gooceanfishing.com
to learn the area and the harbor mouth. 50' boat and since is off season,
there were only 6 passengers + Randy the captain and Chris the deckhand.
Chris was celebrating his 19th B'day. Isn't it against the law to be that
young? We dropped the crab pots and headed out for salmon fishing. As this
was about the 1st trip of the new season, no one knows the location of the
schools. We as a group hooked 4 landed 1, and released 2 at a distance and
released the other at the boat as it was a protected Silver Salmon. 1
salmon for the boat and limits of 10 crabs per person for all. Did run off
a boat trying to pull the Telstars pots. Da$$%$$%%^% thieves. Saturday,
launch my boat to even calmer seas. Dropped my crab pots and trolled for
salmon using 2# balls and sinker releases as the downrigger electric plugs
were bad. Cannon DR's are nice, but the plugs suck. We hooked 10 salmon,
lost 1, landed 3 legal and released 5 undersize and one silver. Biggest
salmon as over 18# and the smallest about 8#. Will be a season of big
salmon if an early 18# forecasts well. All the salmon were very red meated.
They are eating Krill, and small shrimp and shrimp makes for very red
salmon meat. Could not ask for better weather. Swell a little on the large
size, maybe 8' and long period, but no wind chop most of the day. about 70
degrees until late afternoon, when the high fog formed. Went to pull my
pots and had 1 legal crab and 2 empty pots. A Farallon boat pulled away
from the my pot area when we came to them, so figure that my string had been
poached! Gave the legal to a friend in another boat, as did not want to
cook just one. As we left this morning the ocean was even flatter. The
Mendocino whale festival was this weekend, and lots of Calif. Gray whales
were about. We saw 1 Saturday and 3 on Friday. Could have found lots more
if we really looked. If you are from the West, is a good time to take a
North Coast trip. Reasonable motels and the hills are green and the rivers
full. If you are from the Ice Belt, may still be a good time to get on an
airplane here. Now back to Politics!
Bill

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 04:34:49 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

We as a group hooked 4 landed 1, and released 2 at a distance

Sounds like great fun.

Have to ask though, "released at a distance"? ;)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:57:52 -0500, thunder
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 04:34:49 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Did run off a boat trying to pull the Telstars pots. Da$$%$$%%^% thieves.

A Farallon boat pulled away from the my pot area when we came to them,
so figure that my string had been poached!

Just coincidence, or is poaching common for that area?

Up here, it's not common, but it does happen.

Every once in a while, my brother's eel pots are raided - not often,
but it happens.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:30:25 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 04:34:49 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

We as a group hooked 4 landed 1, and released 2 at a distance

Sounds like great fun.

Have to ask though, "released at a distance"? ;)

Fisherman's talk for "he got away" Also referred to as "breaking him off" -
it's supposed to sound like he did it on purpose because the fish wasn't worth
playing.

But sounds like a great time! I'm jealous: Haven't caught a salmon up here in
over 10 years. AND, really wanted to take Far Cove out to break in the new
engine, but gale-force westerlies on Sat, followed by gale-force easterlies on
Sun, along with a "heavy rain warning" = good day to stay inside by the fire and
cuddle with the Lady.

Did get the tarp off the Tin Boat and got the engine started coff! coff!.
Started saving for a 4-stroke...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Calif Bill

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:30:25 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 04:34:49 GMT, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

[...]

We have to use barbless hooks for salmon. So the salmon win the battle at
times. If you release the fish before you get it to the boat, is an LDR .
.. . Long Distance Release. If you get it to the boat and is undersize or a
silver salmon or Steelhead you reach down and release the fish without
netting and is called shook the fish.
Bill

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:38:01 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:30:25 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 04:34:49 GMT, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

[...]

I use barbless hooks also - only on my boat, we call those LDRs,
G--D--- #$%^&^%$%*#!$%^&^%$$$#%^& and other things I can't
repeat here. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:38:01 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

We have to use barbless hooks for salmon. So the salmon win the battle at
times. If you release the fish before you get it to the boat, is an LDR . . .
Long Distance Release. snip

Yeah - note the difference: "The fish got away" vs "you release the fish". As
Tom said, I have "other" words for when the fish "released long distance" ...

Lloyd

Calif Bill

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:38:01 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

We have to use barbless hooks for salmon. So the salmon win the battle

at
times. If you release the fish before you get it to the boat, is an LDR

.. . .
Long Distance Release. snip

Yeah - note the difference: "The fish got away" vs "you release the fish".

As
Tom said, I have "other" words for when the fish "released long distance"

Lloyd

My words are normally "Damn, he won". I hooked an aproximate 45#+ salmon in
the early 90's on a Rattletrap and 6# test line. Was fishing for 4# striped
bass. Salmon hit, and I fought for 2 hr 10 min before the line gave up.
Had the fish to the boat 3 times and told my partner to net it, and he
informed me that it was not ready to net. Still the biggest salmon I ever
hooked and I give credit to that fish for not giving up. Biggest landed is
38#.
Coming up to Lloyds area next spring for some fishing, I will post how I
caught them Lloyd.
Bill

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:05:50 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Coming up to Lloyds area next spring for some fishing, I will post how I caught
them Lloyd.
Bill

Hey, drop in, say hi! I'll show you my Shiny New engine. And if you're up for
catching "little" fish (ie 5 lb rainbow), I can show you a few lakes where you
can chuck a fly...

Lloyd

A nice quality control touch Gould 0738 General 23 January 4th 04 04:48 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
To Anyone & Everyone New To Boating Capt. Frank Hopkins General 8 August 23rd 03 12:28 AM