BoatBanter.com

-   -   When would you board someone else's boat?? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4125-when-would-you-board-someone-elses-boat.html)

Charles April 22nd 04 02:05 AM

When would you board someone else's boat??

Doug Kanter wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...

Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people got

back?

Because inconsiderate people make a habit of leaving behind piles of ****
for others to deal with. The behavior should be crushed instantly and in the
most horrifying, shocking and insulting ways.

You're a ticking time bomb. Did you say you work for the post office?

-- Charlie

Doug Kanter April 22nd 04 04:12 AM

When to shoot a falre into someone elses bilge WAS: When would you board someone else's boat??

"Charles" wrote in message

Henry Blackmoore wrote:

In article , "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

I'd write down the name & reg numbers of boats like that, for two

reasons.
First, report him to the marina's manager. Second, if you ever run

across
that same boat in an emergency, you can ignore its owner's calls for

help,
and do whatever you can to make his boat sink, burn or crash upon the

rocks
more quickly. There's an entire class of people who simply don't

deserve to
continue their existence.

You would ignore somebody in an emergency over petty-ass bull**** and

help
their boat sink, burn or crash? Really?

Ya, here again we have an example of the tolerance and humanity of

liberalism.

If you see a cat about to pounce on a bird, do you go out of your way to
stop the event?

Doug Kanter April 22nd 04 04:19 AM

****
for others to deal with. The behavior should be crushed instantly and in

the
most horrifying, shocking and insulting ways.

You're a ticking time bomb. Did you say you work for the post office?

-- Charlie

No, pal. I'm your average citizen. If my paragraph, above, makes you think
of violence, YOU are the one with the problem. All my criteria can be met
non-violently and legally. In a radio interview a couple of years back, our
county district attorney described how satisfying it was to see Bob the
insurance broker in a courtroom convicted of DWI & vehicular manslaughter.
The look on Bob's face when he digests the instantaneous reality shift is
priceless. Horrifying and shocking for poor Bob, who left a pile of ****
behind for someone else.

Violence never needs to enter into the reorientation of bad citizens. To
remove a dog from an irresponsible owner requires 3 complaints in my town.
It doesn't occur to most of them that the 3 complaints can be lodged in 2
days and the dog removed on the 3rd. Horrifying, shocking and insulting.
Priceless. No violence involved.

When you are a victim, you'll admit to enjoying swift justice.

Don April 22nd 04 06:03 AM

When would you board someone else's boat??

"Charles" wrote
Doug Kanter wrote:
"basskisser" wrote
Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people

got
back?

Because inconsiderate people make a habit of leaving behind piles of

****
for others to deal with. The behavior should be crushed instantly and in

the
most horrifying, shocking and insulting ways.

You're a ticking time bomb.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Bob D. April 22nd 04 04:21 PM

wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message

You would ignore somebody in an emergency over petty-ass bull****

and
help
their boat sink, burn or crash? Really?

Ya, here again we have an example of the tolerance and humanity of
liberalism.

If you see a cat about to pounce on a bird, do you go out of your way to
stop the event?

Firstly, I don't equate human life with animal life as you have done by
your asking this assine question.

"assine" ???

Secondly, I take no pleasure in the imminent death or suffering of
another human being (or animal), as it appears you do, simply because
they have in done nothing more than **** me off with noise.

Turn this around. Do you personally suffer if you're watching a nature show
on TV which shows lions eating gazelle, or owls & hawks eating rodents?

You're a selfish and tightly wound individual, Douggie. Keep it up and
you'll certainly cross the line from using the law for your vengeance to

vigilante.

Turn this around: Your neighbor's driveway is right next to your bedroom
window. It's winter. His muffler goes bad. He goes to work 3 hours before
you need to wake up, and likes to warm up his car for 20 minutes. So,
instead of waking up at 6:30, your normal time, his noise is waking you up
at 3:30. You figure most people might not find the time to get their muffler
fixed right away, so you let it go for a week, maybe two. You ask him
politely when he's getting it fixed, because you're getting sleep deprived.
He says "Hey...maybe next week. Sounds cool, though, eh?"

Another month goes by. Somehow, the cops haven't ticketed him yet. You ask
him again when he's getting it fixed. He says "That's none of your damned
business. Kiss my ass".

What do you do? By "you", I mean YOU PERSONALLY, not "people in general".

This actually happened to me! First of all I live in a duplex in an older
neighborhood where the houses are less than fifteen feet away from each
other with a driveway within that space. The older kid next door had a
two cycle Suzuki motorcycle. From early spring until late fall when it
wasn't raining, he'd walk the motorcycle out of the garage at 6:30am (1.5
hours before I rise) and start it up. Since it would stall in gear if it
wasn't warmed up, he spent five minutes reving the throttle. Since it was
in the driveway between houses, it amplified the sound.

When I finally saw his parents in their yard, I mentioned the problem and
asked if he could walk the bike the extra forty feet, so it was in the
front yard and not between houses. In addition I asked he let the bike
idle warm instead of reving the throttle. They apologized for the problem
and directed their son as I suggested. While you could still hear the
sound, it no longer startled you awake.

By contrast, I have a beater Geo Tracker with a loud exhaust. The car has
almost 180,000 miles, so I have no plans to pour money into this car.
When I use this car, in an effort to be considerate, I start the car and
leave immediately. If I get home after 10pm, I either park on a side
street and walk to my door, or shut my engine off and coast up the
driveway. If someone came to me with this car as a problem, I'd give them
due consideration, patching the exhaust, parking on the street, or dumping
the car.

I think the point alot of people are missing is you have a small minority
of people who behave without regard for anyone around them. When they are
confronted by others being impacted by their lack of consideration, who
try to reason with them in hopes of working out your differences, they
either still don't give a ****, or worse, get outraged towards the person
they've impacted for not "letting things slide".

I don't agree with Doug's specific comments about ignoring distress calls,
or watching a boat burn, but then again, I'm not taking what he says
literally as much reading in stating two underlying points:

1. It takes so little effort and time to show consideration for other
people.

2. You can't go through life not giving a **** about the people around you,
while carrying expectations that everyone should give a **** about you.

When people forget or ignore these simple truisms, which IMHO are needed
for society to function, all bets are off. Forget them and antagonize
someone who is having a bad day, and bad things can happen. When bad
things do happen to the social offender, while the punishment might not
fit the crime, I have a hard time considering them to be the victim, so in
an effort to avoid these "bad things" I would suggest:

3. Never assume somone's inconsideration towards you is a deliberate act.

I personally will act with goodwill and assume the person committing their
offense to me is goodhearted but oblivious as to their actions. As such,
I will ignore it if it is the first time the offense occurred with that
party, if the action could be deemed as non-deliberate, AND the action
doesn't persist for a great deal of time. If those criteria are not met,
I will tactfully talk with them in hopes of reaching a solution.
Sometimes the solution consists only of hearing a reasonable explanation
as to why the offending behavior is occuring.

Should these steps fail, I'm moving further into Doug's camp. Oh I won't
ignore that distress call or refuse to help save their boat, but when I
help them, I'll be reminding them who I was and how they offended me,
smiling, knowing there's a little divine justice in my small corner of the
world. In addition, should they continue their actions, I'll do whatever
is necessary to lessen their action's impact upon me, stop their actions,
or teach them consideration, regardless of the consequences, as I have
absolutely no desire to live in a world where inconsideration for others
becomes an acceptable behavior.

In the case Doug presented, should I go through all the actions he
described: Tolerance, communication, inaction from the authorities, then
being told to screw myself. It will come down to three choices for the
inconsidrate *******. Fix your exhaust. Compromise with me and learn to
leave quickly and get use to being a little less comfortable on your drive
to work in the winter, or be alot less comfortable changing tires in that
same winter climate.

For those who think "rubbing their nose in their own mess" is wrong for
dogs or people, I've trained several dogs, and many people (when I had
to) that way, and they seemed to learn the intended lesson just fine. For
those who spout asserting my beliefs will eventually lead me to be
victimized by a CCW, it is noted. But then again, I may have a CCW too
and *I might* just be a quicker and better shot than the inconsiderate
******* I'm trying to reason with, so I hope any inconsiderate *******s
take note as well :^)

Bob D.

Henry Blackmoore April 22nd 04 04:43 PM

When would you board someone else's boat??

In article , "Don White" wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote in message
Are you saying that if someone doesn't need punishment or consequences to
live peacefully, they are mentally ill?

It's probably a cultural thing.
In Henry's cowtown, it's probably fine to take the six gun out to the
backyard and get a little target practice in before dusk
On the other hand, at the yacht squadron I frequent, certain civilized
behavior is expected.
Members would consider it bad form for some inconsiderate lout to blast his
radio, disturbing the peace & quiet of other members.

I never said that it wasn't bad form or improper and inconsiderate to behave
so badly Donnie.

I also live in Sugar Land. And no, one cannot take firearms out into the
backyard and practice with live rounds. Not even a BB gun for that matter.
You have watched too many westerns on your boob tube.

However all kidding aside, if you're defending a vigilante elitest who
admitting would ignore (and means it) a boater in distress and would let them
sink or die. Then you are no more worthy of being called a boater or a seaman
than he is.

Do you even understand the gist of this debate or thread here Don?

Henry Blackmoore April 22nd 04 04:44 PM

In article , Charles wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...

Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people got

back?

Because inconsiderate people make a habit of leaving behind piles of ****
for others to deal with. The behavior should be crushed instantly and in the
most horrifying, shocking and insulting ways.

You're a ticking time bomb. Did you say you work for the post office?

-- Charlie

But the United Nations backed by Don White defends Doug's position here.

lol

Henry Blackmoore April 22nd 04 04:46 PM

"Charles" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...

Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people

got
back?

Because inconsiderate people make a habit of leaving behind piles of

****
for others to deal with. The behavior should be crushed instantly and in

the
most horrifying, shocking and insulting ways.

You're a ticking time bomb. Did you say you work for the post office?

-- Charlie

No, pal. I'm your average citizen. If

Really? Does the "average" citizen look the other way while a boater
in distress sinks or worse???

Sorry but your backpedaling just doesn't fly Dougie...

Henry Blackmoore April 22nd 04 04:48 PM

When would you board someone else's boat??

In article , Dave Hall wrote:

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:19:57 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

When you are a victim, you'll admit to enjoying swift justice.

The difference between being a victim and an overzealous complainer is
often a matter of subjectivity.

Some people bitch a bit too much. Learn to cut some slack and deal
with it. Don't sweat the small stuff. If a dog takes a dump on your
yard, just clean it up. I have a neighbor who has declared war on
dog's "going" on his lawn. The reaction from most of the rest of the
neighbors range from his being overly sensitive, to being "a complete
nutcase". You don't make many friends when you complain about other's
habits.

I had a neighbor once who would **** on your car door handles if your dog
crapped in his yard. Scary fella.

Someday, someone might take issue with one of your "piles" (Which you
will be shocked to learn actually bothers someone), and will cry
"foul".

Eggzackly!

Dave

Henry Blackmoore April 22nd 04 04:49 PM

In article , Charles wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

You must think we're idiots. You're no average citizen. You're a ticking
time bomb and when you explode the newspaper will quote neighbors
wringing their hands and saying, 'We had no idea'.

He is a certifiable menace that's for sure. And he certainly doesn't belong
on a water in a boat.

In many threads you have advocated violent actions against people or
animals you believe to have violated your personal space or rights.

Keep back-pedalling though.

-- Charlie