BoatBanter.com

-   -   When would you board someone else's boat?? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4125-when-would-you-board-someone-elses-boat.html)

Doug Kanter April 16th 04 02:59 PM

When would you board someone else's boat??

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
John H wrote in message

. ..
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:29:20 -0400, "Gary Warner"

wrote:

Just stuff to talk about:

Was reminded this morning of something that happened a few years back.

was working on my boat in my slip. Another "non-resident" boat arrived

and
docked next to me. They got off the boat and went up into the buy
restaurant. After a little while their stereo starts blaring. I later
figured out that it was a tape deck and must be the tape was at the end

of
one side in a silent spot as they docked and got off the boat.

I didn't want to get onto their boat. I know I wouldn't want strangers
getting onto my boat. On the other hand it was a very simple thing to

turn
off the radio and get off the boat. But if they happend to be the

people
sitting looking over the marina I could see someone come running down
yelling.

Yes, I could also go to the management. But this is a small place and
finding someone is sometimes a problem. And then they'd probably say,

"Hey,
don't bother me. Just get on his boat and shut it off."

I decided not to get on the boat. And when the guy came down I just

asked
him to be more careful. He happened to be a very friendly type and

said,
"Oh. You should have just shut it off."

On the other hand - same marina, different day - two of us who each

have
boats there were talking. As the conversation went on and on we sat

down on
the railing of another "regular" in the yard. We were in no way on the

boat
nor was there almost any chance of us hurting anything. The guy

happened to
come by at that point and went OFF really HARD about it. I agree we

really
should't be touching his boat - but it was just a natural kind of

thing.

So - What would you think if someone was boarding your boat?

I would have turned down the radio and told the guy I did it to keep him

out of
trouble with other boaters.

I'd sure hate to live next to someone as anal as you. Apparently it
was daytime, so why not just chill out a little?

It's one thing to find music annoying when someone's listening to it. It's
another story entirely when the stereo's owner has left completely, which
mean's there's NO purpose whatsoever for the music playing. Don't you think
it's a bit arrogant to assume that the whole world wants to listen to your
music?

Gary Warner April 16th 04 03:01 PM

When would you board someone else's boat??

"basskisser" wrote:

Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people got

back?

That's pretty much what I did: I thought about getting on his boat, decided
not
to, and went back to working on a wiring problem on my boat. The reason
it was annoying was because the volume was very lound, undoubtedly set
at a volume good for when they were out on open water with the engine
going and lots of wind. Where we were docked is under a huge concrete
bridge. The loud music and echos really weren't very pleasent. ~ I think
I do tend to be laid-back and understanding. When the guy returned I just

Bob D. April 16th 04 03:07 PM

When to shoot a falre into someone elses bilge WAS: When would you board someone else's boat??

I never knew I had so many peaceful options. Thanks guys! Any other
interesting stories of the obnoxious (I mean inconsiderate, I'm obnoxious)
boaters?

Bob

Doug Kanter April 16th 04 03:13 PM

When to shoot a falre into someone elses bilge WAS: When would you board someone else's boat??

"Bob D." wrote in message

I guess he needed those hi performance ponies good and
warm huh? TWENTY FIVE MINUTES LATER, bozo the boater pulled out of the
marina.

By this time I couldn't get back to sleep as all I could her afterwards
were my friends and neighbors awake, talking about what a flamming asshole
this guy was.

What would your reaction be?

Bob Dimond

I'd write down the name & reg numbers of boats like that, for two reasons.
First, report him to the marina's manager. Second, if you ever run across
that same boat in an emergency, you can ignore its owner's calls for help,
and do whatever you can to make his boat sink, burn or crash upon the rocks
more quickly. There's an entire class of people who simply don't deserve to
continue their existence.

Doug Kanter April 16th 04 03:16 PM

When to shoot a falre into someone elses bilge WAS: When would you board someone else's boat??

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

Get a really crappy sounding stereo turned up too loud to wake him
up to Yoko Ono....

Yoko?!? Jeez.....it's making my teeth hurt just thinking about that! Perfect
idea.

You could clean a few guns where he could see you doing it, while
muttering insanely about sonic vandals and drinking heavily from a
whiskey bottle full of tea beside a bag of sugar. Tip a little sugar
into the bottle from time to time. Don't speak to him, just yell at
your "crew" below decks about inconsiderate assholes, while ignoring
him.

This is an excellent idea, the whiskey/gun combo. Even better if you wear a
hat which hides your eyes, and steadfastly refuse to make eye contact with
him.

Judge Judy would be on your side, so long as you did not instigate
violence or real damage. She hates noisy, inconsiderate people, too.

So, Judy would be OK with using a crossbow, then.

Doug Kanter April 16th 04 03:17 PM

When would you board someone else's boat??

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
Not much different than seeing the interior light on in the car parked

next
to you. Yes I always pull the door handle. Usually its locked and I'm

off
the hook...

Well not quite the same. My conundrum was that this loud stereo was
bothering me
and it would have been sooooo easy to shut it off without doing any

damage.

How about pulling the plug for his AC power? Maybe it was a 12v radio, but
maybe not.

Doug Kanter April 16th 04 03:21 PM

When would you board someone else's boat??

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...

Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people got

back?

Because inconsiderate people make a habit of leaving behind piles of ****
for others to deal with. The behavior should be crushed instantly and in the
most horrifying, shocking and insulting ways.

Gary Warner April 16th 04 03:27 PM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

Get a really crappy sounding stereo turned up too loud to wake him
up to Yoko Ono....

Yoko?!? Jeez.....it's making my teeth hurt just thinking about that!

Perfect
idea.

A while after the 9/11 attacks Ken Kesey wrote an open letter to the
terrorists.
His theme was that if they think that they are crazier than Americans by
being suicide bombers they are, well, crazy. He then gave a long list of
examples
of how Americans are crazy. One of the best went something like...

You think you're crazy? We shot John Lennon 6 times and
didn't even aim for Yoko Ono.

Bob D. April 16th 04 04:20 PM

When would you board someone else's boat??

In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...

Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people got

back?

Because inconsiderate people make a habit of leaving behind piles of ****
for others to deal with. The behavior should be crushed instantly and in the
most horrifying, shocking and insulting ways.

While I'm guessing Dougs statement was meant to be funny, I'd have to say
it holds alot of truth. Some of these people are like dogs who **** on
the carpet after just being let out. Disapproving looks and subtle
comments won't work, you have to rub their nose in their **** in hopes
that they get the point.

Obviously in the case of guys stereo it wasn't intentional, so making
things difficult on them isn't necessarily the right tact. Assuming it
was a mistake, I would have contacted the marina manager stating my
intentions. If or when the owner showed up I would *hope* as boaters they
would share a similar mindsets that boaters as a group are to be trusted
(at least where I come from), be willing to listen to an explanation why I
boarded, and understand that explanation, knowing that they did something
to cause the situation. If not they can verify my story with the marina.

If they persists in staying in a ****ing contest, then I'll do what needs
to be done to instill better consideration and reasoning. If you have to
be "cruel to be kind", perhaps I'll resort to "lead pipe kindness" :^)

In Doug's case, with the woman at the car dealership it's a tough call.
Obviously the woman was not "well bred" as she is portrayed as devoid of
common sense, maternal instincts, or reasoning. Rather attempt to see
Doug's point and say Thank You, she chose to stay ****y. What to do next
time? Choose to let Darwin's theory take it course, and the kid suffer
because his parent is a ****head? Or do the right thing, save the kid, be
ridiculed by the parent, while the kid grows up to be another
inconsiderate ****head. If we could go back in time would we find that
someone had saved Adolph Hitler from falling off a truck roof, or Saddam
Hussein from the back of a camel. Hmmmmm...... tough call!

Thankfully, it isn't too often, but I've seen some ****ty things that our
fellow boaters do. Besides the rude behavior I've cited before, there was
one time when someone pulled int the Put-in-Bay Yacht Club acting like
their **** didn't stink. I think they were a group of college kids
borrowing dad's boat and using his membership for a dock reservation. Not
only were they rude and uncourteous, but they had the nerve to unplug
another boaters shore power, because they needed to plug into two outlets
so they could run their boats AC electrical as well as their air
conditioner. Thankfully enough of the people were outraged that the
marina manager for the yacht club told them politely that their
reservation for later in the year would not be honored. I only hope that
later reservation was for dad, and that he was able to drive the point
home about being considerate too other boaters (assuming he has any
consideration himself).

Bob Dimond