Ernie

Default Water in the Bilge

A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

Harry Krause

Ernie wrote:
A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

If there is water in the bilge of a brand-new fiberglass boat of the
size you have, and it isn't rainwater or spray or something like that,
then there is a leak. And there should not be. You're being bull****ted.
Tony Thomas

He is only correct from the point of a small amount of water can be found
based on any number of reasons from swimming, splashover, rain, etc....
However, if non of these are the reason and you ever have enough water for
the bilge to pump out - there is a problem.
The dealer has no way of finding the leak unless he is at the water.
Best you can do is to put the boat in the water and find the leak yourself.
Then depending on where it is, fix yourself or have the dealer fix once you
tell him where it is.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Ernie" wrote in message
news
A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not

normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will

likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

Gary Warner

I read the other thread. It seems many people are jumping on the
"there should be no water" idea without asking some questions.

How much water are you talking about?

If you empty ALL water then let the boat just set in the water
(not in use and not raining) do you get more water in the bilge?

You say there is always water in the bilge. But it that while you're
using it (which could be from spray) or even when just setting.

Sounds to me like you need to determine if there is a leak or if the water
is possibly coming from spray or rain. Maybe get all the water out in
any way you can (sponge) and then let it set for some days when
it's not raining. ~~ Of course, some leaks may not manifest themselves
unless you are using the boat. Maybe you can use the boat in conditions
where you are careful not to get spray.

Also note, you could get check-valves for the bilge pump(s) so
most water in the bilge hose will not return to the bilge. Some people
have concerns about doing this because it cuts down the flow-rates
of the pump.

Most boats will not be 100% dry all the time. Some use, spray, rain, etc
will get in there. On the other hand you could have a leak. You need
to do some tests to find out what's going on.

JR North

Pure bull****. There should be NO water in the bilge except
what gets in through spray or rain. True, the pump(s) will
leave an inch or two after they shut off. If you remove this
water, it should not return. If yours is a trailer boat,
there may be water in the forward hull sections that doesn't
drain out from the drain plug at the angle the boat's
sitting at on the trailer. Jack the nose *WAY* up to drain,
and check the limber holes between bulkheads to make sure
they're not clogged or glassed closed. Once your sure all
the water has been removed, it should not re-appear under
normal circumstances. Discounting the above mentioned stuff,
if it does, well, it leaks....
JR

Ernie wrote:

A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

Gary Warner

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Not necessarily, there is more than one way to skin a cat.... fill
the boat with a hose and look for the water to run out the "other"
way.... proximity to water not necessary.....you could do that in the
desert!

--

This seems fine for a little water in the bottom. But a hull isn't made to
take lots of water pressuse/weight from the inside. I don't know, but

Anyone know for sure?

Tony Thomas

There lies the problem. A lot of places that could be the leak will be
above the level you would want to fill the boat to.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:00:56 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
.. .

Not necessarily, there is more than one way to skin a cat.... fill
the boat with a hose and look for the water to run out the "other"
way.... proximity to water not necessary.....you could do that in the
desert!

--

This seems fine for a little water in the bottom. But a hull isn't made

take lots of water pressuse/weight from the inside. I don't know, but
it seems putting lots of water inside a hull would not be a good idea.

Anyone know for sure?

Yeah.... you don't want to put *a lot*. A hull is made for
compression, not tension...... (read with grain of salt if you are the
picky sort) so don't interpret my words as ... "fill-up." A couple of
feet or less on a well supported trailer or similar isn't going to
hurt... but don't get crazy.... you could split the hull open like a
dropped watermelon...

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time

Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Lawrence James

It is normal for there to be a little water in a boat bilge after you use
it. Is it ever enough to need the bilge pump? Aren't you the guy that has
been complaining about this boat for months now? Perhaps your expectations
are too high.

"Ernie" wrote in message
news
A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not

normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will

likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

Rick & Linda Bernard

The explanation may be correct since I do not know how much water you are
collecting. I would suggest as someone else has said to dry with a sponge
and see if the water returns.

I looked up the boat on the internet. Seems like a nice boat. I not sure
but does the boat have any through hulls? It seems like there are bait
wells and ice chests that may leak and/or drain to the bilge. The thing I
would do is ID all the thru hulls on the outside and find them on the
inside. See if they are leaking. Use a water hose if on a trailer from the
outside to generate pressure on the thru hull.

Look at anything that contains water - bait wells, ice chests, fish boxes
etc. These may just drain into the bilge and be the source of water or they
may be leaking. If you have a water tank fill with water and look at the
fill hose and tank for leaks. Try to refill the next day to see if the
level has dropped.

If it is fresh water leaking and you use the boat on salt water then try
using food coloring in the various water containers one at a time. (I am
not sure I like the food coloring idea because it may stain the fiberglass
so I would try a little in a small spot first to test)

"Ernie" wrote in message
news
A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not

normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will

likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

Netsock

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message

The dealer has no way of finding the leak unless he is at the water.

I've been checking hull leaks for years, by filling them with water, then
observing from dry dock.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/