Gould 0738

Default Drinking water shock (and awe- shucks) treatment blues.

Here I sit, broken hearted.
Was going boating, but never started.
My poor tug lays at the dock
Following the water shock.
The bleach was working oh so fine,
But blew right through a water line.
The pressure pump was switched to "on"
So my water supply was quickly gone
A mere 200 gallon flood
That spoiled the forward cabin rug
Oh why'd I ever give up drugs? :-(

I can recommend Peggie's water shock treatment very enthusiastically. Our water
has never tasted so good. Problem was the second flushing of the system was
conducted in a seriously unorthodox manner and at an unexpected time when
nobody was aboard.

The Mrs. knows how to make chicken salad out of chicken manure. She's been
pestering me to pull up the carpet in the boat and rework the teak and holly
soles below. Looks like she gets her wish down forward. Soaking wet carpet is
HEAVY!

I surmise that the failed connection (two hoses on a plastic fitting) must have
been marginal all along and the stress from the chlorine (or removal of the
dirt 'glue') caused a failure that was going to happen sooner than later,
anyway.

Plus, in my typical approach to things I'm sure I followed the general
procedure but not the actual directions. Mixed up about a 20% solution of
bleach in the first
20 gallons we ran through emptied system and allowed to sit overnight. Poured
three or four more bottles into the FW tank as it filled up.

Should have seen the crud that came out of the taps when the first drain began
the following day. Wo! We were cooking with water that ran through that stuff?

So, use Peggies water treatment process, it does work. But don't do like I did
and make up your own rules as you go along.....you just might discover which of
your plastic fittings is about to fail!

(Line is now repaired, and off we go manana).

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

Here I sit, broken hearted.
Was going boating, but never started.
My poor tug lays at the dock
Following the water shock.
The bleach was working oh so fine,
But blew right through a water line.
The pressure pump was switched to "on"
So my water supply was quickly gone
A mere 200 gallon flood
That spoiled the forward cabin rug
Oh why'd I ever give up drugs? :-(

I can recommend Peggie's water shock treatment very enthusiastically. Our water
has never tasted so good. Problem was the second flushing of the system was
conducted in a seriously unorthodox manner and at an unexpected time when
nobody was aboard.

I just bring jugs of drinking water out with me. No chemicals, no foul
water, no leaks, no maintenance. Boat water always tastes and smells awful.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:06:39 +0000, Harry Krause wrote:

Peggie Hall wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
I just bring jugs of drinking water out with me. No chemicals, no foul
water, no leaks, no maintenance. Boat water always tastes and smells awful.

Hardly surprising if you don't maintain the system, Harry.

No offense, Peggie, but we prefer the taste of fresh jug water.

Admit it, Harry: you just like the "jugs" ...

Lloyd

Gould 0738

Discovered yet another casualty of the FW shock treatment. My hot water tank
thermostat. Stays "on" all the time and heats the water to scalding. Dealing
with it temporarily by shutting off the HW tank at the AC distribution panel
after a couple of hours....could be just a coincidence, or could be that I used
a lot more bleach than Peggie recommends and discovered a couple of weak spots
as a result.
Peggie Hall

Gould 0738 wrote:
Discovered yet another casualty of the FW shock treatment. My hot water tank
thermostat. Stays "on" all the time and heats the water to scalding. Dealing
with it temporarily by shutting off the HW tank at the AC distribution panel
after a couple of hours....could be just a coincidence, or could be that I used
a lot more bleach than Peggie recommends and discovered a couple of weak spots
as a result.

Sheesh, Chuck...did you follow ANY of the directions??? )

"Before beginning, turn off hot water heater at the breaker; do not turn
it on again until the entire recommissioning is complete."

Don't be surprised if the diaphragm in your water pump is the next to
go....'cuz that much bleach certainly didn't do it any good!

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html