Gary Warner

Default Water in the Bilge

I read the other thread. It seems many people are jumping on the
"there should be no water" idea without asking some questions.

How much water are you talking about?

If you empty ALL water then let the boat just set in the water
(not in use and not raining) do you get more water in the bilge?

You say there is always water in the bilge. But it that while you're
using it (which could be from spray) or even when just setting.

Sounds to me like you need to determine if there is a leak or if the water
is possibly coming from spray or rain. Maybe get all the water out in
any way you can (sponge) and then let it set for some days when
it's not raining. ~~ Of course, some leaks may not manifest themselves
unless you are using the boat. Maybe you can use the boat in conditions
where you are careful not to get spray.

Also note, you could get check-valves for the bilge pump(s) so
most water in the bilge hose will not return to the bilge. Some people
have concerns about doing this because it cuts down the flow-rates
of the pump.

Most boats will not be 100% dry all the time. Some use, spray, rain, etc
will get in there. On the other hand you could have a leak. You need
to do some tests to find out what's going on.