Netsock

Default Water in the Bilge

"JR North" wrote in message
Pure bull****. There should be NO water in the bilge except
what gets in through spray or rain.

Not true.

Many inboards have specs that the shaft packing should have an occasional
drip.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Lawrence James

It is normal for there to be a little water in a boat bilge after you use
it. Is it ever enough to need the bilge pump? Aren't you the guy that has
been complaining about this boat for months now? Perhaps your expectations
are too high.

"Ernie" wrote in message
news
A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not

normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will

likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

Rick & Linda Bernard

The explanation may be correct since I do not know how much water you are
collecting. I would suggest as someone else has said to dry with a sponge
and see if the water returns.

I looked up the boat on the internet. Seems like a nice boat. I not sure
but does the boat have any through hulls? It seems like there are bait
wells and ice chests that may leak and/or drain to the bilge. The thing I
would do is ID all the thru hulls on the outside and find them on the
inside. See if they are leaking. Use a water hose if on a trailer from the
outside to generate pressure on the thru hull.

Look at anything that contains water - bait wells, ice chests, fish boxes
etc. These may just drain into the bilge and be the source of water or they
may be leaking. If you have a water tank fill with water and look at the
fill hose and tank for leaks. Try to refill the next day to see if the
level has dropped.

If it is fresh water leaking and you use the boat on salt water then try
using food coloring in the various water containers one at a time. (I am
not sure I like the food coloring idea because it may stain the fiberglass
so I would try a little in a small spot first to test)

"Ernie" wrote in message
news
A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not

normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will

likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

RichG

I think the manufacturer is giving you a perfectly correct answer.

What isn't being said ( by you or he ) is what amount of water is there...
and how much is "normal". No bilge pump can pump the last drop out. The real
question is "How much" and "how" did it get there?

If you launch the boat totally dried out, just let it float at the dock, and
then see water in the bilge ten minutes later...you've got a leak. It might
be, as some have pointed out, a "normal" trickle from I/O bellows. I had a
sailboat that had a "normal" leak from the packing glands when the engine
was running.

If you launch dry, check for no water and it is still dry...and then run the
boat at a moderate speed..and you've got water..you've got a leak.

If you have to run the boat full speed and now see some water, it might be
spray???

Only you can answer those questions.

Try experimenting until you find exactly the situation where-upon she takes
on water.

I, for one, would like to hear a follow-up after you've done all of that.
regards,
RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Bob D.

Didn't read the original post, sorry. Without knowing how much water were
talking about, the explanation you are given is accurate for residual
waters from rain, condensation, or use.

If your really concerned, take the boat out of the water for a few days,
store under some sort of shelter/cover with the bow up to allow all the
water out. Relaunch and examine the bilge for incomming water. Be
forwarned even siting overnight you might accumulate some minimal water
(eg a few spongefuls) in the bilge just from condensation.

If you just launched the boat, didn't run the boat past idle speed, it's a
dry day, and you've noted water in the bilge, you may have a problem.
Take the boat back to the dealer and bitch until they check it out, and
don't take the boat back until your satisfied the problem is corrected.

In article , "Ernie"
wrote:

A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

Charles T. Low

All four boats I have owned have had wet bilges. (Your later message thread
suggests that you have a problem, but in general...)

I know of people with dry bilges, and they sponge them out once in a while
after which they stay dry for a long time, even with a slow drip from a
packing gland.

Not so mine. The problem can be several things, but rainwater has been my
big one. I am on a gradual campaign to rebed all sorts of fittings, etc., in
my present boat, but in one of the boats a basic design flaw allowed litres
of rain water to wash into the the bilge from the cockpit, so it was
virtually impossible to keep ahead of. (Bilge water stayed quite fresh, as
long it rained once in a while!) It made the bilges very humid, of course,
but much improved once I recognized it and added extra ventilation (very
small, very simple, dried the bulkheads right out).

The important thing is that a boat isn't leaking from below. Unless it's
wood, in which case it might have to swell up a bit after being launched,
but basically, a leak below or near the wateline isn't going to get better.
That has to be found and fixed.

My boat stays bone dry until it rains, and then emptying the bilges is a
long, dirty job that only lasts until the next rain - so I don't.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Ernie" wrote in message
news
A few days ago I posted a message regarding water in my bilge's new 2003
Trophy and all who responded were unanimous in agreeing that was not

normal
and should be traced to the source so it could be remedied. Here is what
Ken Naff, the Regional Service Manager for Trophy boats said and I quote:

"With regard to water in the bilge, it is not uncommon and there will

likely
be some residual such as you experience. If the water is in sufficient
quantity the bilge pump will pump it out. Please be advised when the pump
shuts off any water left in the hose runs back into the bilge."

How many of you agree with this explanation?

CaptMP

Ernie-I have noticed several people giving good advice-I have not noticed any
response from you, so maybe the problem is no more! However, since I have a
similar hull ('99 2052), have had similar tbls and I have also spoken with Mr.
Naff, you might want to email me if the problem is ongoing.
By the way, you have a damn good boat, don't get worried to death about small
stuff. ALL boats ALWAYS have something or other that needs attention. Perhaps
that's why we buy 'em.
Best wishes
Mike

Ernie

Mike,
Portland Yacht Services of Portland, Maine is in the process of addressing
my problems and once that's done I will let you know the results. Thirty
more days till launch time and counting.