Keith & Laura Koether

Default Moderator?

I was talking about the posts that relate to boating.

--
Keith & Laura Koether
Pleasure Island

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
I usually read them and if I have something to contribute I do. If I

don't
then I don't.

That makes you one of the people ruining the group.

Doug Kanter

"John H" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:07:05 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Actually, Basskisser, Harry, NOYB and jps post some very informative and
accurate responses to boating questions. I agree with you about the
name-calling, and Harry could lay off that routine a bit. But it's

actually
been interesting to follow the evolution of a few of the more civilized
people here. People have often found that they agree more than they
disagree. John H and Noah are perfect examples of that. I could live next
door to John H and not kill him...I think.

As far as Tuuk, Wally, etc.....in every nice forest, there are weeds and
coyote droppings.

That may be, but I'd sure as hell not let you borrow my mower!

Who cares? You're probably the type who buys a $200 mower every two years at
the BORG, instead of ponying up like a big boy and buying a real one. :-)

John H

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 01:22:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Actually, Basskisser, Harry, NOYB and jps post some very informative and
accurate responses to boating questions. I agree with you about the
name-calling, and Harry could lay off that routine a bit. But it's

actually
been interesting to follow the evolution of a few of the more civilized
people here. People have often found that they agree more than they
disagree. John H and Noah are perfect examples of that. I could live next
door to John H and not kill him...I think.

As far as Tuuk, Wally, etc.....in every nice forest, there are weeds and
coyote droppings.

That may be, but I'd sure as hell not let you borrow my mower!

Who cares? You're probably the type who buys a $200 mower every two years at
the BORG, instead of ponying up like a big boy and buying a real one. :-)

For sure I don't pay more than $200 for one. My last one lasted almost
nine years, 'til I hit a metal spike and bent the crankshaft. That
mower never had an oil change nor a quart of oil added. Briggs and
Stratton engines are bullet proof. I wish I had one in my boat.

My next door neighbor must have about $600 invested in his POS Honda.
Every spring he has to take it in to get it tuned and started. It is
much prettier than mine though. I'd buy a Honda if I could put a B & S
engine on it. They're pretty.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 01:22:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Actually, Basskisser, Harry, NOYB and jps post some very informative and
accurate responses to boating questions. I agree with you about the
name-calling, and Harry could lay off that routine a bit. But it's

actually
been interesting to follow the evolution of a few of the more civilized
people here. People have often found that they agree more than they
disagree. John H and Noah are perfect examples of that. I could live next
door to John H and not kill him...I think.

As far as Tuuk, Wally, etc.....in every nice forest, there are weeds and
coyote droppings.

That may be, but I'd sure as hell not let you borrow my mower!

Who cares? You're probably the type who buys a $200 mower every two years at
the BORG, instead of ponying up like a big boy and buying a real one. :-)

PS. That last post was boating related, in case you didn't notice.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

John Smith

Doug, you seem to be a reasonable guy, and you are right when I am in a
marina the subject can vary, but if it becomes a brawl I and most other
boaters just move their boat to a different marina. I think that we have
had many knowledgeable boaters pick up their boats and either move to
another marina, or just get out of boating all together. As I said, nothing
you or I say will make a difference, too many people seem to enjoy rolling
around in the mud, but let's not try to rationalize the behavior that goes
on in rec.boats as a discussion.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you're in a bar at a marina with friends, do you only talk about boats?

John Smith

Doug, if basskisser, jps and Harry have been responding to boating posts in
the last few weeks it has gotten lost in the clutter. At one time, Harry
was one of the more information recreational boaters, while his demenor
might have left alot to be desired he still contributed to the general
boating knowldege in this group. It appears that about a year ago, he
decided it was more fun to troll for conservatives than to discuss boating.
As I said, I might have missed an occasional boating posts, but there hasn't
been many. All I would ask is dont' be so hard on the newbies when they
come in here and are amazed at the mud that gets throw in the group today.
Hopefully if we get enough new people in here the signal to noise ratio will
improve. The way I see it, we need to encourage new boaters to become
regulars in the group, instead of chasing them away.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Actually, Basskisser, Harry, NOYB and jps post some very informative and
accurate responses to boating questions. I agree with you about the
name-calling, and Harry could lay off that routine a bit. But it's

actually
been interesting to follow the evolution of a few of the more civilized
people here. People have often found that they agree more than they
disagree. John H and Noah are perfect examples of that. I could live next
door to John H and not kill him...I think.

As far as Tuuk, Wally, etc.....in every nice forest, there are weeds and
coyote droppings.

"John Smith" wrote in message
Doug,

The answer is obvious, you ignore it. Now, let me ask you a question,

when
you read Basskisser, NOYB, Harry, jps, Tuuk, Wally etc. it is very

obvious
that they do not come here to discuss boats, they like to discuss

politics.
Many people enjoy discussing and arguing about politics, so they are not
unusal. What is unusual is that the prefer to discuss politcs in

rec.boats.
Why not go to one of the politcal discussion groups?

Now your point is just ignore the posts if you don't like them. Well I

do,
and many other do the same thing. What is the harm from people calling

each
other names? The problem is that most of the very knowledgeable

boaters,
mechanics, suppliers and people who used to enjoy discussing boats have

left
this group because they found it too irrating seeing adults behavning

like
children. The people who want to discuss boats or have questions

answered
find their questions or requests for boating discussions are overlooked

by
the regulars, because they really don't want to discuss boats. At one

time,
the regulars would enjoy discussing boats and would get into OT

discussions
as a way to pass the time. That is not the case today. Today the

majority
of the regulars come here to argue politics and call their opponets

names.
The poor person who comes in this group often finds his legitmate

questions
ignored by the regulars because they are too busy with their political

mud
slinging. That is the problem with 80% of the posts being off topic.

Now, do I believe anything I said will change the topics and political
trolling that goes on here? No way, I don't believe it will change, but

you
are a smart person and you should understand why some people who come to
this newsgroup are offended by the 80% of off topic BS. It really would

not
be so bad, if people actually made politcal statements that made sense,

but
most of the posts are "you are stupid", the __________ are destroying

the
world as we know it", you don't know anything, and I know it all. One

of
the regulars who seems to be intellegent thinks if he uses profanity by
changing the spelling (ie dumfock) it makes it more politically correct.

It
doesn't, all it does is make him look silly.

The person who started this thread, thought his comments would make a
difference. That showed that he is a newbie to rec.boats, but it was

not
an
unreasonable request.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I'm sure the proportions will change as the boats go back in the

water.
But,
my question is still a valid one which some people can't answer. What

do
you
do when you see a boating question that's of no interest to you

whatsoever?

"John Smith" wrote in message
Doug,

I know my post will not make a difference, but what has happened is

that
most of the contributors who liked the forum as a group to

discussion
boats,
have long left this group. The regulars now come here to discuss

politics
and ignore most posts concerning boats. As I said, I know the group

wont'
change, but Joe's posts is a fair request. At one time, this group

was
90%
on topic and 10% off topic, it is now about 80% OFF TOPIC and 20% on
topic.
Since the group is not moderated, it will go whatever way the

regulars
want
it to go, but I am sure we will see less and less boating topics as

this
group is taking over by those who think it is a political forum. It
appears
that the regulars want this to be a political forum.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you see a topic regarding bilge pumps, but you have no interest

in
that
at the moment, what do you do?

"Joe. R" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't this board have a moderator? It's really a downer to

see
once
fine source of information on boats and boating in general get
polluted
by
non boating garbage.

There are other sites where folks can spout off on non-boating

topics.

jr

John H

wrote:

Actually, Basskisser, Harry, NOYB and jps post some very informative and
accurate responses to boating questions. I agree with you about the
name-calling, and Harry could lay off that routine a bit. But it's actually
been interesting to follow the evolution of a few of the more civilized
people here. People have often found that they agree more than they
disagree. John H and Noah are perfect examples of that. I could live next
door to John H and not kill him...I think.

As far as Tuuk, Wally, etc.....in every nice forest, there are weeds and
coyote droppings.

That may be, but I'd sure as hell not let you borrow my mower!

What's a "mower?"

One who mows. A "mower" is sometimes used as a colloquialism for a
machine with a blade that is used to cut grass. Grass is the green
stuff that grows on lawns on the eastern side of the US.

A '72 Grand Banks? Sounds like a sweet project. Any pictures of her?

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 04:03:56 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

Doug, you seem to be a reasonable guy, and you are right when I am in a
marina the subject can vary, but if it becomes a brawl I and most other
boaters just move their boat to a different marina. I think that we have
had many knowledgeable boaters pick up their boats and either move to
another marina, or just get out of boating all together. As I said, nothing
you or I say will make a difference, too many people seem to enjoy rolling
around in the mud, but let's not try to rationalize the behavior that goes
on in rec.boats as a discussion.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you're in a bar at a marina with friends, do you only talk about boats?

John, as Doug is probably still in bed now, I'll try to sneak in this
small correction. Doug is *usually* reasonable and *never* right,
although he is, quite infrequently, correct.

I think that once Bush is re-elected most of the off-topic stuff will
die down. People will grow to understand and love the guy from Texas,
and the mudslinging will happen only when we try to lie about our
latest catch.

In the meantime, I'm going to engage in much wishful thinking about
the Parker 2520XL. I was on one yesterday. It was a nice boat, but the
$67K price tag (with a Yamaha 225) still causes sticker shock.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

I'm always watching, John. You can't hide. :-)