LaBomba182

Default Moderator?

Subject: Moderator?
From: John H

" Spam is a funky name for a phenomenon that can be measured pretty
objectively: did that post appear X times?"

And:

" It doesn't mean "posts whose content I object to"

http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.1

Like I said, nice try.

Capt. Bill

Personally, I think that any post in favor of Kerry is spam at it's
worst.

Sorry about butting in, but I had to get that off my chest. I feel
much better now.

No problem. Jump in at any time about anything. That's beauty of this
newsgroup.:-)

I'll feel *really* good when I can put my boat in the water in two
weeks!

:-)

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182

Default Newsgroup Netiquette

Subject: Newsgroup Netiquette
From: "John Smith"

Capt. Bill,

Since we are discussing Newsgroup terms and definitions, I wonder if anyone
has ever read the common accepted Newsgroup Netiquette

snip

That's old news and all well and good. But the "cat's out of the bag" at this
point.

The most of the cat could be put back into the bag if the OT whinners would
just not post OT posts about OT posts. And stop replying to the OT posts.
It's that simple.
But I don't see it happening anytime soon. Do you?

Capt. Bill
Jim

From: John H

" Spam is a funky name for a phenomenon that can be measured pretty
objectively: did that post appear X times?"

And:

" It doesn't mean "posts whose content I object to"

http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.1

Like I said, nice try.

Capt. Bill

Personally, I think that any post in favor of Kerry is spam at it's
worst.

SO there is no objection to my continuing the anti-Bush posts ;-)

Thank you in advance

Sorry about butting in, but I had to get that off my chest. I feel
much better now.

No problem. Jump in at any time about anything. That's beauty of this
newsgroup.:-)

I'll feel *really* good when I can put my boat in the water in two
weeks!

:-)

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182

From: "Mark Browne"

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
No, my name is Sterling, but I don't have that for an email. I use my real
email address, and my real name.

snip

Bob Sterling?
Steling Anderson?

It does not seem like you have really answered the question.

http://members.aol.com/CaptSterl/

It's not much of a secret as to who Sterling is.

Capt. Bill

Mark Browne

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
What mark you wanna date me?

Hmmm, you should lay off the sauce. It seems to be affecting either your
memory or your powers of logical thinking. Perhaps both.

First you whine about newsgroup members hiding their names and e-mail
addresses. Then you get all weird when we ask about yours.

Mark Browne

John H

From: John H

" Spam is a funky name for a phenomenon that can be measured pretty
objectively: did that post appear X times?"

And:

" It doesn't mean "posts whose content I object to"

http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.1

Like I said, nice try.

Capt. Bill

Personally, I think that any post in favor of Kerry is spam at it's
worst.

SO there is no objection to my continuing the anti-Bush posts ;-)

Thank you in advance

Yes, your anti-Bush posts are also spam. I object to spam in all its
forms.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Doug Kanter

Thank you. And, the coyote dropping responded as expected, at 4:48 PM on
3/6. :-)

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
Doug,
Do ya know what I like about you, besides being a top poster. :-) Ya
have a way with words:".....in every nice forest, there are weeds and
coyote droppings."
Paul

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Actually, Basskisser, Harry, NOYB and jps post some very informative and
accurate responses to boating questions. I agree with you about the
name-calling, and Harry could lay off that routine a bit. But it's

actually
been interesting to follow the evolution of a few of the more civilized
people here. People have often found that they agree more than they
disagree. John H and Noah are perfect examples of that. I could live

next
door to John H and not kill him...I think.

As far as Tuuk, Wally, etc.....in every nice forest, there are weeds and
coyote droppings.

"John Smith" wrote in message
Doug,

The answer is obvious, you ignore it. Now, let me ask you a question,

when
you read Basskisser, NOYB, Harry, jps, Tuuk, Wally etc. it is very

obvious
that they do not come here to discuss boats, they like to discuss

politics.
Many people enjoy discussing and arguing about politics, so they are

not
unusal. What is unusual is that the prefer to discuss politcs in

rec.boats.
Why not go to one of the politcal discussion groups?

Now your point is just ignore the posts if you don't like them. Well

do,
and many other do the same thing. What is the harm from people

calling
each
other names? The problem is that most of the very knowledgeable

boaters,
mechanics, suppliers and people who used to enjoy discussing boats

have
left
this group because they found it too irrating seeing adults behavning

like
children. The people who want to discuss boats or have questions

answered
find their questions or requests for boating discussions are

overlooked
by
the regulars, because they really don't want to discuss boats. At one

time,
the regulars would enjoy discussing boats and would get into OT

discussions
as a way to pass the time. That is not the case today. Today the

majority
of the regulars come here to argue politics and call their opponets

names.
The poor person who comes in this group often finds his legitmate

questions
ignored by the regulars because they are too busy with their political

mud
slinging. That is the problem with 80% of the posts being off topic.

Now, do I believe anything I said will change the topics and political
trolling that goes on here? No way, I don't believe it will change,

but
you
are a smart person and you should understand why some people who come

this newsgroup are offended by the 80% of off topic BS. It really

would
not
be so bad, if people actually made politcal statements that made

sense,
but
most of the posts are "you are stupid", the __________ are destroying

the
world as we know it", you don't know anything, and I know it all. One

of
the regulars who seems to be intellegent thinks if he uses profanity

by
changing the spelling (ie dumfock) it makes it more politically

correct.
It
doesn't, all it does is make him look silly.

The person who started this thread, thought his comments would make a
difference. That showed that he is a newbie to rec.boats, but it was

not
an
unreasonable request.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I'm sure the proportions will change as the boats go back in the

water.
But,
my question is still a valid one which some people can't answer.

What
do
you
do when you see a boating question that's of no interest to you
whatsoever?

"John Smith" wrote in message
Doug,

I know my post will not make a difference, but what has happened

is
that
most of the contributors who liked the forum as a group to

discussion
boats,
have long left this group. The regulars now come here to discuss
politics
and ignore most posts concerning boats. As I said, I know the

group
wont'
change, but Joe's posts is a fair request. At one time, this

group
was
90%
on topic and 10% off topic, it is now about 80% OFF TOPIC and 20%

on
topic.
Since the group is not moderated, it will go whatever way the

regulars
want
it to go, but I am sure we will see less and less boating topics

as
this
group is taking over by those who think it is a political forum.

It
appears
that the regulars want this to be a political forum.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you see a topic regarding bilge pumps, but you have no

interest
in
that
at the moment, what do you do?

"Joe. R" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't this board have a moderator? It's really a downer to

see
once
fine source of information on boats and boating in general get
polluted
by
non boating garbage.

There are other sites where folks can spout off on non-boating
topics.

jr

Doug Kanter

A phoney coward? Does that make him brave and valiant?

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
your a phoney coward hiding behing a fake email name, aren't ya?