Joe. R

Default Moderator?

Doesn't this board have a moderator? It's really a downer to see a once
fine source of information on boats and boating in general get polluted by
non boating garbage.

There are other sites where folks can spout off on non-boating topics.

jr

Ron White

Ah come on, these guys? have some great ideas that we need. If you don't
agree you have to at least admire their relentlessness. At least some of
them do use the protocol of "OT" in the the subject allowing the rest of us
interested in boating to filter them out.
--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
Doesn't this board have a moderator?

Born yesterday?
Probably fewer than 1/10 of 1% of Usegroups have moderators.

Just use a kill filter and block everyone who uses a boats boats group
to discuss politics.
Netsock

Just set up a kill file for all those who post OT, and those who reply to
them. I also have (in Outlook) a key-word file, that will delete any message
with that word in the header. I populate that file with words like
"politics, war, wmd, bush, kerry, gop, iraq, president, election" ect.

Works great...just this morning there were 186 messages downloaded, and my
automatic filters took it down to 63...and they were all boating related.

Give it a try.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/
"Joe. R" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't this board have a moderator? It's really a downer to see a once
fine source of information on boats and boating in general get polluted by
non boating garbage.

There are other sites where folks can spout off on non-boating topics.

jr

John Smith

Doug,

I know my post will not make a difference, but what has happened is that
most of the contributors who liked the forum as a group to discussion boats,
have long left this group. The regulars now come here to discuss politics
and ignore most posts concerning boats. As I said, I know the group wont'
change, but Joe's posts is a fair request. At one time, this group was 90%
on topic and 10% off topic, it is now about 80% OFF TOPIC and 20% on topic.
Since the group is not moderated, it will go whatever way the regulars want
it to go, but I am sure we will see less and less boating topics as this
group is taking over by those who think it is a political forum. It appears
that the regulars want this to be a political forum.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you see a topic regarding bilge pumps, but you have no interest in that
at the moment, what do you do?

"Joe. R" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't this board have a moderator? It's really a downer to see a once
fine source of information on boats and boating in general get polluted

by
non boating garbage.

There are other sites where folks can spout off on non-boating topics.

jr

Keith & Laura Koether

It's more like rec.boats.kindergarten. I can't wait for spring. It will give
me an excuse to get off the net and on my boat.
--
Keith & Laura Koether
Pleasure Island

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

"Joe. R" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't this board have a moderator? It's really a downer to see a

once
fine source of information on boats and boating in general get

polluted
by
non boating garbage.

There are other sites where folks can spout off on non-boating topics.

jr

Doug Kanter

I'm sure the proportions will change as the boats go back in the water. But,
my question is still a valid one which some people can't answer. What do you
do when you see a boating question that's of no interest to you whatsoever?

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

"Joe. R" wrote in message
link.net...
Doesn't this board have a moderator? It's really a downer to see a

once
fine source of information on boats and boating in general get

polluted
by
non boating garbage.

There are other sites where folks can spout off on non-boating topics.

jr

Ron White

OK, I'll bite. I don't read them so their content is not what is so
irrating, at least to me. It is their very exsistance, me having to find the
"bilge pump" posting that is easily missed after my eyes glaze over. Yes,
you are right about the seasonal aspect but still I just like to simply come
here to talk about boats, that is when I think I have something to say that
is helpful ( seldom). Meantime, I have set my subject and name of poster
filters to delete those that almost never seem to have anything to say about
the topic of the group. If I can get that fine tuned then things will be ok,
they can rage on off my screen.