Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:56:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

I haven't used charts in years, since the Lake Ontario chart basically

says
"deep", "deeper" or "holy **** it's really deep". Doesn't anyone use

paper
charts any more?

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Do those charts also have a "Here there be monsters" warning? :)

Seriously! I'm very safety conscious, so last week, I stopped into Boat US
to see if there was anything at all on the local Lake Ontario chart that
would make it worth having in the boat, considering that I only venture
about 10 miles either side of the Irondequoit Bay inlet. Nothing. Absolutely
nothing. Fortunately, it makes no mention of the Secret Smallmouth Location,
nor does it give any indication of bottom structure which makes it
interesting to the fish.

So what do the Lakers and Salties use when crossing the lakes?

I mean there has to be a chart of Ontario somewhere.....

Then again....

As to secret smallmouth spot, I found one up the Seaway about two
miles NE of Alexandria Bay.

Unbeilevable fishing.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Doug Kanter

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:56:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in

message
.. .

[...]

If I were crossing the lake, I'd be equipped differently. I'd also have
something bigger than my current 14' yacht. :-)

Wayne.B

wrote:

I'm very safety conscious, so last week, I stopped into Boat US
to see if there was anything at all on the local Lake Ontario chart that
would make it worth having in the boat, considering that I only venture
about 10 miles either side of the Irondequoit Bay inlet.

Do you have Charts 14803 and 14804 ? Good detail on Irondequoit Bay
and the inlet among other things.

http://library.uwsuper.edu/special/m...charts_ont.htm

Don White

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
Frankly, I like them. I have a nice framed one of the Block Island RI

area.
People think I'm nuts to have it, but it makes me smile because not far

from
Block Island, my dad ventured into a submarine testing area. The chart

said
to avoid ships flying whatever flags - those were target ships. I was 10

or
11 and I didn't want to be TOO pushy with the captain, but I'd just takent
the Power Squadron class and as far as I could tell, we were right in the
center of the testing area. He didn't think so. A sub surfaced about 300
yards away and informed my dad via radio that he should try looking at his
chart, if any. Just like that. I loved the sarcasm, but as an ex-Navy man,
he didn't find it funny. :-)

That would be a blow to the ego of your captain.

Our skipper (Mirage 33 sailboat) had 2 of the charts of our favourite
sailing grounds mounted and hung in his house. I thought it looked great.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:03:41 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Do you have Charts 14803 and 14804 ? Good detail on Irondequoit Bay
and the inlet among other things.

http://library.uwsuper.edu/special/m...charts_ont.htm

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoonos...bum?.dir=/256d

Doug Kanter

wrote:

I'm very safety conscious, so last week, I stopped into Boat US
to see if there was anything at all on the local Lake Ontario chart that
would make it worth having in the boat, considering that I only venture
about 10 miles either side of the Irondequoit Bay inlet.

Do you have Charts 14803 and 14804 ? Good detail on Irondequoit Bay
and the inlet among other things.

http://library.uwsuper.edu/special/m...charts_ont.htm

No. I've pretty much got the bay figured out based on hours of idling
around, watching the depthfinder, and cleaning tons of weeds off my prop.
:-)

Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message

[...]

He *did*, however, allow me to do much more of the navigating after that,
"because it would be good for you to learn". :-)

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:23:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like my Dad.

Former USCG skipper no less. :)

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Maptech digital charts Ray D Cruising 52 January 13th 15 09:12 PM
Canadian digital charts Douglas Nikkila Cruising 0 April 16th 04 12:04 AM
digital charts for south central Alaska and Aleutian Islands Boris Cruising 1 March 19th 04 10:20 PM
Paper charts are for Wannabees Per Elmsäter ASA 52 August 29th 03 11:45 AM