Ray D

Default Maptech digital charts

As of 2004, Maptech is only delivering BSB4 formated charts on CD's for most
of the popular regions. The charts are encrypted, require registration, and
not supported on older versions of Nobeltec's Navigation Suite software. I
ordered Region 6 and can't use it on my Nobeltec Version 4.1 software.
There are still some Maptech rev 3 chartkits in some dealers' stock. Does
anyone know if BSB rev 3 is supported on my navigation s/w? I hate to spend
the $399 for a s/w upgrade.

Thanks
Ray

sded

"Ray D" rayd at gis.net wrote:

As of 2004, Maptech is only delivering BSB4 formated charts on CD's for most
of the popular regions. The charts are encrypted, require registration, and
not supported on older versions of Nobeltec's Navigation Suite software. I
ordered Region 6 and can't use it on my Nobeltec Version 4.1 software.
There are still some Maptech rev 3 chartkits in some dealers' stock. Does
anyone know if BSB rev 3 is supported on my navigation s/w? I hate to spend
the $399 for a s/w upgrade.

Thanks
Ray

Try http://www.softcharts.com/ . You can buy compatible charts there in
preconfigured collections or roll your own. You can also purchase/download a
single chart to be sure their current format is compatible with your version
4.1. I have VNS 6.5 and won't be buying any more charts from either Maptech or
Nobeltec.

spdevel

Try http://www.softcharts.com/ . You can buy compatible charts there in
preconfigured collections or roll your own. You can also

purchase/download a
single chart to be sure their current format is compatible with your

version
4.1. I have VNS 6.5 and won't be buying any more charts from either

Maptech or
Nobeltec.

Yuck. Awful stuff. Thanks but I'd rather have the real NOAA maps from
NOAA's partner (Maptech). I called Nobeltec and they will be supporting the
BSB v4.0 CD's - you just need to know the right person to ask. There are
plenty of other applications that support the new CD's too.

Ray D

I got the same information but they didn't tell me when. I doubt if
Nobeltec would provide a patch for anything earlier than version 7.
It makes good marketing sense for Nobeltec to position their Passport Charts
over Maptech. They are offering a trade in discount for Maptech CD's over
the next couple of months.
The SoftChart stuff works and the resolution dosen't suck but I would like
to have the marine, currents, tides, places, coast pilot, etc. information
provided by Maptech.

...I called Nobeltec and they will be supporting the
BSB v4.0 CD's - you just need to know the right person to ask. There are
plenty of other applications that support the new CD's too.

sded

You can download Coast Pilots for free at
http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/nsd/cpdownload.htm
Light Lists at
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/LightLists
Tides and Currents actually come from Nobeltec as part of VNS
The Softcharts are raster scanned copies of the NOAA charts, just like Maptech,
and should be identical for the same edition. They do use a different color
scheme, similar to the ECDIS colors in the Passport charts. I like being able
to define my own collection of charts I want to download and buying them at a
package discount-I bought a number of Mexico charts from Softcharts that way. I
haven't tried the Softcharts Photo Navigator charts that compete with the
Maptech photo overlays. I also have a set of the Passport Charts (Region 12)
and find so much data is missing that I don't use them at all for coastal
navigation. Very disappointed in them and would not buy again.
"Ray D" rayd at gis.net wrote:

I got the same information but they didn't tell me when. I doubt if
Nobeltec would provide a patch for anything earlier than version 7.
It makes good marketing sense for Nobeltec to position their Passport Charts
over Maptech. They are offering a trade in discount for Maptech CD's over
the next couple of months.
The SoftChart stuff works and the resolution dosen't suck but I would like
to have the marine, currents, tides, places, coast pilot, etc. information
provided by Maptech.

...I called Nobeltec and they will be supporting the
BSB v4.0 CD's - you just need to know the right person to ask. There are
plenty of other applications that support the new CD's too.

Chuck Baier

I had posted on this board some time back how Notsonobletec was
putting the screws to us boaters buy making their own software
obsolete and expensive and forcing anyone using their stuff to have to
spend more and more money. The solution is simple. Stop using their
software. There is lots of good stuff out there that will not put you
through so much and works great. This approach is the only thing these
kind of companies understand. We pay enough for anything connected to
a boat.