spdevel

Default Maptech digital charts

I have been using Maptech digital charts for over 10 years, and have added
selected SoftCharts as a useful supplement.

Gee Ed, do you have a computer setup at the helm of your J40 so you'd know
actively where you were at a particular time while underway?

IamAeolus

The disclaimer was easy to find. BRBR

Disclaimer was buried on page 30 of the Embassy Guide. Ought to be on the
front cover....
IamAeolus

The disclaimer was easy to find. BRBR

Disclaimer was buried on page 30 of the Embassy Guide. Ought to be on the
front cover....
Chuck Baier

Spdevel, Sounds like who works for whom?????

"spdevel" wrote in message ...
Softcharts is one well-established alternative.

Yep. It is an alternative. So is guessing where you are. I've checked
them all out too and you're wrong or else you work for SoftCharts and are
getting paid to push that nonsense propaganda.

Just think about it. Scanning a paper chart is wrought with paper
stretching and other inaccuracies (think about the slight angle rotation
caused by the scanner pulling the paper in). This doesn't happen when you
are the exclusive partner to NOAA like Maptech is.

I have nothing to gain by having others use their charts - like I said, go
buy them. I just couldn't sit by while I saw incorrect "facts" written on
this group.

By the way, I wish the new CD's weren't protected either. I can understand
that Maptech wants to stop others from stealing their products. To be
honest, it doesn't really effect me since I purchase the products I use
anyway. I guess if you're used to stealing your friends CD's, then this
must really **** ya off...

spdevel

Spdevel, Sounds like who works for whom?????

Geez, I suggested that you could buy whatever charts you want! I don't work
for anyone - I'm too busy cruising!

I think it is very interesting that the main debate I was having was with Ed
(sded). It turns out that he has a J40 which is a great sailboat. But most
sailors don't keep their PC right in front of them, watching their progress
over a digital chart as they are moving. On your Mariner 40, Chuck, do you
have your PC out at the helm?

I'm a motorboat cruiser. My normal setup is a heads-up display of exactly
where I am, watching every movement of my little cursor across the screen.
I've watched the accuracy in real time with SoftCharts, Maptech, C-Map, and
some Passport charts from friend's boats. There just isn't a comparison,
sorry, no matter who you work for.

Your mileage may vary. Go ahead and buy whatever you want though!

Ed

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:04:49 -0500 (EST), (Ron Thornton) wrote:

As I recall, every time I have looked at the free charts there is a
disclaimer "not for navigation" on them. Is this because the resolution
and detai is not as high as the commercial charts or is it just
government. "CYA".

Regards, Ron

it's resolution, which triggers the CYA

When NOAA started researching going digital they determined
254 dpi as the minimum resolution to capture the smallest critical
detail of their charts and is / was the resolution the digital raster
charts are delivered at.

the online versions are about 85 dp and as such do not meet their
minimum use standards. maptech puts them there to help you id the
chart you want to pay them for, while plenty of people use them for
overall planning and cruising.

btw: approx : 1 pixel on a 1:40,000 at is about 13.7 ft for 254 dpi
scan on a 85dpi each pixel is 41 ft in size.

for real CYA , if I remember correctly from the CRADA, Maptech is
protected by the US Gov't the same as the Gov't charts
they are an aid to navigation and the prudent mariner watches where
he's going (as they say on every chart)

before they had the CRADA, BSB/Maptech scanned the paper charts just
like everyone else. The bid they won got them access to the color
separations which they scan at 3x the delivered resolution.

Now they split between the color separations and digital data.
I haven't kept up with the ratio ...

disclaimer: most of this is from memory from the CRADA and NOAA
followups and explanations of the precess, so buyer beware on trusting
any number data

- Ed
got talc ?
Drysuit talc & bags
http://www.underwaterusa.com

spdevel

Isn't it interesting that "sded" and "Chuck Baier" are right in there in the
debate until I point out that they don't use a laptop at their helm! From
then on....poof...nothing.

It just goes to show that you need to watch out about the information that
you get on these newgroups. A lot of people do a lot of talking without
knowing crap about what they are talking about...