Chuck Baier

Default Maptech digital charts

I had posted on this board some time back how Notsonobletec was
putting the screws to us boaters buy making their own software
obsolete and expensive and forcing anyone using their stuff to have to
spend more and more money. The solution is simple. Stop using their
software. There is lots of good stuff out there that will not put you
through so much and works great. This approach is the only thing these
kind of companies understand. We pay enough for anything connected to
a boat.

"spdevel" wrote in message ...
Try http://www.softcharts.com/ . You can buy compatible charts there in
preconfigured collections or roll your own. You can also

purchase/download a
single chart to be sure their current format is compatible with your

version
4.1. I have VNS 6.5 and won't be buying any more charts from either

Maptech or
Nobeltec.

Yuck. Awful stuff. Thanks but I'd rather have the real NOAA maps from
NOAA's partner (Maptech). I called Nobeltec and they will be supporting the
BSB v4.0 CD's - you just need to know the right person to ask. There are
plenty of other applications that support the new CD's too.

Ron Thornton

As I recall, every time I have looked at the free charts there is a
disclaimer "not for navigation" on them. Is this because the resolution
and detai is not as high as the commercial charts or is it just
government. "CYA".

Regards, Ron

I don't recieve e-mail at this address because of spam. E-mail me
at crtsrATmsnDOTcom.

Baybyter

Be aware that a number of Maptech products, including their online server,
CANNOT be used for navigation purposes. Im not quite sure just what one would
do with these non-navigational products, but perhaps they are suitable for
wrapping fish...

Maptech tends hide their disclaimer about what their products may be used for,
or what they are not useful for. Pretty sleazy way to do business.

spdevel

Be aware that a number of Maptech products, including their online server,
CANNOT be used for navigation purposes.

Woah Nelly! I downloaded Maptech's Outdoor Navigator demo and got on the
server to download many charts. There was nothing warning me that they
CANNOT be used for navigation. There was a warning that told me it should
not be used as the sole source of navigation information. Of course you
shouldn't rely on any one thing.

Maptech has an exclusive agreement with NOAA. They are the only ones who
get the masters from NOAA. No one else does this. Everyone else just
rescans hardcopy charts. There is a large difference in quality. I've
tried them all and I wouldn't trust my boat to anything other than Maptech
charts.

If you like SoftCharts....by all means, use them. I just hope that our
paths never cross 'cause you're gonna be off course!

sded

"spdevel" wrote:

[...]

Because of the exclusive partnership between Maptech and NOAA for BSB chart
material (access to the vellums or raw NOAA data), Maptech digital charts are
certified for Navigation by NOAA as stated on their website. Scanning the paper
charts also produces excellent digital charts, as shown by Softcharts (and
others) I have, in fact, compared Softcharts and BSB charts side by side in VNS
and have been unable to see any real differences. They use the same photo
charts, BTW, so it is easy to compare positions of landmarks/seamarks.
Certainly you are free to believe Maptech is somehow significantly superior
(just read their ads!), but Softcharts is certainly competent to scan charts and
produce accurate digital files from them-their customer base and comments say
that is true, and comparison of individual charts supports it. Softcharts
provides accurate charts, excellent customer service and reasonable individual
chart prices in spite of Maptech propaganda. I don't see a "not for navigation"
disclaimer on Softcharts either-their site says they are "especially enhanced
for marine navigational use." Maptech has made a business decision to
incorporate format changes and registration processes which cause compatibility
and mobility issues, and many of their customers and partners are resisting.
Softcharts is one well-established alternative.