Rex Jones

Default Digital Charts

Anyone interested in NOAA charts.. I have available high resolution
full color digital charts ( on CD's) for just about all US waters and
possessions. Issue dates are from mid 80's to 2000. These charts are
calibrated for use with the included real-time navigation software
that shows position, speed, direction etc. similar to Maptech or
Nobeltec navigation programs. For more information check out my
website at http://americanchart.com Also included are other free
navigation aids and programs, GPS positions, navigation info and other
utilities.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:46:21 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On 30 Aug 2004 22:18:03 -0700, (Rex Jones)
wrote:
Anyone interested in NOAA charts.. I have available high resolution
full color digital charts ( on CD's) for just about all US waters and
possessions. Issue dates are from mid 80's to 2000. These charts are
calibrated for use with the included real-time navigation software
that shows position, speed, direction etc. similar to Maptech or
Nobeltec navigation programs. For more information check out my
website at
http://americanchart.com Also included are other free
navigation aids and programs, GPS positions, navigation info and other
utilities.

If the quality of your business is no better than the website, don't
quit your day job.

Wayne -

Are you doing anything with digital charts? I've gotten weary of the
small GPS chartplotters (I have a Standard Horizon 170 on Yo Ho), and
think the larger ones are grossly overpriced, considering they basically
are single-purpose devices, and even the $2500 units have relatively
small screens. My tiny block of Garmin stock doesn't earn me much of a
discount!

So, once again, I am considering switching over to a PC-software based
chartplotter. I've messed around using my laptop on Yo Ho, but the
keyboards on these devices don't react well to moisture. So I am
thinking of picking up one of the small footprint PC boxes, either 12V
or run off a converter, and installing a 15" LCD screen in the cabin and
a waterproof keyboard on top of the "dashboard."

I've been using Cap'n Mariner; do you have experience with any of the
other suites? Interestingly, ALL the hardware one needs for such an
installation is half the price of a $2500 dedicated chartplotter, plus
you get a much larger screen, a real keyboard and the ability to perform
the usual computer functions.

Any advice?

Actually, I can address this.

The problem with computer based operations on a boat, even one like
your Parker, is shock mounting the computer. It's almost impossible
to do correctly on a small boat with a store bought computer. I've
seen some gimbal type shock mounts, but on anything less than 40 feet,
they are useless.

I tried to use one on my Contender and gave up. I couldn't get the
computer to stay up long enough to do any good unless the water was
like glass and even then, the vibrations from the outboards would
cause it to go berzerk evey once in a while. Even remote mounting the
computer in a box with pads everywhere didn't help.

There's a bunch of marie laptops out there, but from the reviews I've
read (and that is by no means complete), this type of application for
laptops is not the greatest in the marine environment.

I went with the dedicated chartplotter - it does what it's supposed to
do.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Doug Kanter

wrote:
[...]

I haven't used charts in years, since the Lake Ontario chart basically says
"deep", "deeper" or "holy **** it's really deep". Doesn't anyone use paper
charts any more?

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:
[...]

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Do those charts also have a "Here there be monsters" warning? :)

Actually, I had this discussion with my brother this morning. I've
always used paper charts with electronic backup when available. I
really like the new graphical GPS units, in particular my latest toy,
a Raymarine RC400 which is REALLY cool. He prefers electronic.

But I will always use visual/radar fixes and paper checking against
the GPS everytime.

Later,

Tom

Harry Krause

wrote:
[...]

We have the opposite problem here...water, less water, and
sheeet....we're on the bottom again. Usually unmarked and unpredictable.
Unless you want to bury your face in a paper chart when fishing near
the edges, you want a chartplotter that displays depths as you're moving
along...

--
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -
Don White

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message news:Zk1Zc.4397
I haven't used charts in years, since the Lake Ontario chart basically

says
"deep", "deeper" or "holy **** it's really deep". Doesn't anyone use paper
charts any more?

We do! Last I heard they were the only legal kind for the Canadian East
Coast .

Wayne.B

wrote:

I've been using Cap'n Mariner; do you have experience with any of the
other suites? Interestingly, ALL the hardware one needs for such an
installation is half the price of a $2500 dedicated chartplotter, plus
you get a much larger screen, a real keyboard and the ability to perform
the usual computer functions.

Any advice?

=====================================

I use Maptech Offshore Navigator with the Maptech BSB chart CDs. My
hardware varys but most often I use a small Compaq Pentium III laptop
with an external 15 inch flat panel monitor. The P3 laptops are
available used/reconditioned these days at very reasonable prices so I
don't worry too much about them getting wet. As long as you're using
an external monitor, screen size and quality on the laptop is not
important. I once took an old IBM P2 wrapped in saran wrap to Bermuda
on a sailboat. It survived just fine even with lots of spray finding
its way below decks. I use a large plastic envelope to protect the
flat panel display in stinky conditions. These are sold at W-M as
protection for chart books.

I've also used one of the small form factor PCs with good success,
coupled up with a small rubber keyboard that is waterproof (CompUSA).
In theory it would have run straight from 12V ships power but have
always ran it from a small 50 watt inverter instead (better voltage
stability).

Wayne.B

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:11:38 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

The problem with computer based operations on a boat, even one like
your Parker, is shock mounting the computer.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never found this to be a problem. It
is true that Mrs B likes a soft ride however.

Maptech digital charts Ray D Cruising 52 January 13th 15 09:12 PM
Canadian digital charts Douglas Nikkila Cruising 0 April 16th 04 12:04 AM
digital charts for south central Alaska and Aleutian Islands Boris Cruising 1 March 19th 04 10:20 PM
Paper charts are for Wannabees Per Elmsäter ASA 52 August 29th 03 11:45 AM