Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On 30 Aug 2004 22:18:03 -0700, (Rex Jones)
wrote:
Anyone interested in NOAA charts.. I have available high resolution
full color digital charts ( on CD's) for just about all US waters and
possessions. Issue dates are from mid 80's to 2000. These charts are
calibrated for use with the included real-time navigation software
that shows position, speed, direction etc. similar to Maptech or
Nobeltec navigation programs. For more information check out my
website at
http://americanchart.com Also included are other free
navigation aids and programs, GPS positions, navigation info and other
utilities.

If the quality of your business is no better than the website, don't
quit your day job.

Wayne -

Are you doing anything with digital charts? I've gotten weary of the
small GPS chartplotters (I have a Standard Horizon 170 on Yo Ho), and
think the larger ones are grossly overpriced, considering they basically
are single-purpose devices, and even the $2500 units have relatively
small screens. My tiny block of Garmin stock doesn't earn me much of a
discount!

So, once again, I am considering switching over to a PC-software based
chartplotter. I've messed around using my laptop on Yo Ho, but the
keyboards on these devices don't react well to moisture. So I am
thinking of picking up one of the small footprint PC boxes, either 12V
or run off a converter, and installing a 15" LCD screen in the cabin and
a waterproof keyboard on top of the "dashboard."

I've been using Cap'n Mariner; do you have experience with any of the
other suites? Interestingly, ALL the hardware one needs for such an
installation is half the price of a $2500 dedicated chartplotter, plus
you get a much larger screen, a real keyboard and the ability to perform
the usual computer functions.

Any advice?

I haven't used charts in years, since the Lake Ontario chart basically says
"deep", "deeper" or "holy **** it's really deep". Doesn't anyone use paper
charts any more?

We have the opposite problem here...water, less water, and
sheeet....we're on the bottom again. Usually unmarked and unpredictable.
Unless you want to bury your face in a paper chart when fishing near
the edges, you want a chartplotter that displays depths as you're moving
along...

--
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -