Per Elmsäter

Default Paper charts are for Wannabees

Real sailors use nothing but digital charts. It is folish even to have paper
charts as backup. What if they get washed overboard for instance, or eaten
by the ships rat. No it is much safer to have a redundant system of digital
charts.

For instance in the Catamaran that I race occasionally, we have a laptop
setup in each hull connected to it's own GPS. The screen is mounted in such
a way that the helmsman can easily see it. That means he always has the
exact location of the vessel visualized right in front of him. If one system
goes down there is always the other to revert to. Much safer than a paper
chart that is almost always on the verge of blowing overboard.

There is no way having one set of paper charts ( which is the stoneage(
stoneage = pre millenium ) setup ) can be safer than having two redundant
systems with digital charts. Someone might of course say that two laptops is
mighty expensive. To that I answer h-ll no. You don't need the latest
megapixeled superHz multimedia gizmo. Digital charts are run absolutely 100%
satisfactory from a laptop several years old. Actually the ones I've used
have almost been given to me. If you have vectorized charts you don't even
need a big harddisk on them.

The whole world can be placed on a CD-Rom. If you need to buy new charts a
phone- or radio- call coupled with your paypal or credit card No will give
you an access code that immediately opens up your new charts that are
already installed on your PC. You can actually have brand new charts without
even going ashore, much less finding a store that will sell those old
stoneage paper charts to you.

If you want to be a real sailor, follow my advice, burn your charts and join
me into this new age that is dawning upon us. While you're at it, through
out that old compass you got that is nothing but a waste of fine spirits.

--
Perre

Capt. Mooron

Excellent ... this would be a great idea for sailors who are a little rusty
with Basic Nav. Why spend all that time planning and plotting when a
computer can do it for you. Short or long passages can be plotted and even
recorded. Tie it all in with your navigational instruments to have a
complete record available to put those naysayers questioning your skills or
passage routing to rest.

If I had 12 bucks for every chart that flew overboard while in mid plot on a
line of sight passage... why I'd be as broke as I am now. Thank you Per for
this timely and valuable information. You should consider contacting
Bobsprit off line to forward this... I'm certain he could wire it into his
DVD recorder and produce a split screen mpeg of his ventures.

BTW - how many shares did you buy??

CM

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
| Real sailors use nothing but digital charts. It is folish even to have
paper
| charts as backup. What if they get washed overboard for instance, or eaten
| by the ships rat. No it is much safer to have a redundant system of
digital
| charts.
|
| For instance in the Catamaran that I race occasionally, we have a laptop
| setup in each hull connected to it's own GPS. The screen is mounted in
such
| a way that the helmsman can easily see it. That means he always has the
| exact location of the vessel visualized right in front of him. If one
system
| goes down there is always the other to revert to. Much safer than a paper
| chart that is almost always on the verge of blowing overboard.
|
| There is no way having one set of paper charts ( which is the stoneage(
| stoneage = pre millenium ) setup ) can be safer than having two redundant
| systems with digital charts. Someone might of course say that two laptops
is
| mighty expensive. To that I answer h-ll no. You don't need the latest
| megapixeled superHz multimedia gizmo. Digital charts are run absolutely
100%
| satisfactory from a laptop several years old. Actually the ones I've used
| have almost been given to me. If you have vectorized charts you don't even
| need a big harddisk on them.
|
| The whole world can be placed on a CD-Rom. If you need to buy new charts a
| phone- or radio- call coupled with your paypal or credit card No will give
| you an access code that immediately opens up your new charts that are
| already installed on your PC. You can actually have brand new charts
without
| even going ashore, much less finding a store that will sell those old
| stoneage paper charts to you.
|
| If you want to be a real sailor, follow my advice, burn your charts and
join
| me into this new age that is dawning upon us. While you're at it, through
| out that old compass you got that is nothing but a waste of fine spirits.
|
| --
| Perre
|
| You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Per Elmsäter

Capt. Mooron wrote:
Excellent ... this would be a great idea for sailors who are a
little rusty with Basic Nav. Why spend all that time planning and
plotting when a computer can do it for you. Short or long passages
can be plotted and even recorded. Tie it all in with your
navigational instruments to have a complete record available to put
those naysayers questioning your skills or passage routing to rest.

You're getting the picture, that would be this entire NG.

If I had 12 bucks for every chart that flew overboard while in mid
plot on a line of sight passage... why I'd be as broke as I am now.

If I had 12 bucks for every GPS or laptop that malfunctioned at sea.... why
I'd be poorer than you, even though I wouldn't waste the occasional twelve
bucks that came my way on Rum and painkillers.

BTW - how many shares did you buy??

Not enough. Wanna do a joint venture.

--
Perre

Capt. Mooron

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message

| If I had 12 bucks for every GPS or laptop that malfunctioned at sea....
why
| I'd be poorer than you, even though I wouldn't waste the occasional twelve
| bucks that came my way on Rum and painkillers.

Don't knock it... it's liquid courage to fortify you while you watch yet
another paper chart flying like a psycho kite downwind with all your plots
and data. It's also good for post lightening trauma while you warm your
hands on the fried circuit boards of your high tech navigational array.

| Not enough. Wanna do a joint venture.

I'm broke ... frickin cost of charts are killin' me!

CM

Per Elmsäter

Capt. Mooron wrote:
"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message

If I had 12 bucks for every GPS or laptop that malfunctioned at
sea.... why I'd be poorer than you, even though I wouldn't waste the
occasional twelve bucks that came my way on Rum and painkillers.

Don't knock it... it's liquid courage to fortify you while you watch
yet another paper chart flying like a psycho kite downwind with all
your plots and data. It's also good for post lightening trauma while
you warm your hands on the fried circuit boards of your high tech
navigational array.

Not enough. Wanna do a joint venture.

I'm broke ... frickin cost of charts are killin' me!

CM

Don't worry Moroon. If this thread does it's job, everybody on a.s.a will
let their paper charts fly with the winds and you can collect a bundle of 12
dollar bills. You can also empty the spirits in your compass down your
throat. That'll save you maybe half a bottle of Overproof.

--
Perre

Donal

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
Real sailors use nothing but digital charts. It is folish even to have

paper
charts as backup. What if they get washed overboard for instance, or eaten
by the ships rat. No it is much safer to have a redundant system of

digital
charts.

What Operating System do real sailors use to run their navigation S/W on?

Regards

Donal

katysails

The whole world can be placed on a CD-Rom.

That's pretty sad....I think it may be time to get a lobotomy...
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Simple Simon

You can't be so dumb to not know of the USCG requirement
for all their licensed Captains and Masters to have a PAPER
chart of the area aboard their vessels. Electronic simply won't
do.

S.Simon

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message news
Capt. Mooron wrote:
[...]

Peter Wiley

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:36:03 -0400, "katysails"
wrote:

The whole world can be placed on a CD-Rom.

That's pretty sad....I think it may be time to get a lobotomy...

What, and get to Bob's intellect? Scary.

PDW

Horvath

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:42:23 +1000, The Captains Master wrote this
crap:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:36:09 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
wrote:

The whole world can be placed on a CD-Rom.

The Galaxy is on Orions belt

I got a neighbor with a Galaxy in his garage.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!