Wayne.B

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:46:21 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

I've been using Cap'n Mariner; do you have experience with any of the
other suites? Interestingly, ALL the hardware one needs for such an
installation is half the price of a $2500 dedicated chartplotter, plus
you get a much larger screen, a real keyboard and the ability to perform
the usual computer functions.

Any advice?

=====================================

I use Maptech Offshore Navigator with the Maptech BSB chart CDs. My
hardware varys but most often I use a small Compaq Pentium III laptop
with an external 15 inch flat panel monitor. The P3 laptops are
available used/reconditioned these days at very reasonable prices so I
don't worry too much about them getting wet. As long as you're using
an external monitor, screen size and quality on the laptop is not
important. I once took an old IBM P2 wrapped in saran wrap to Bermuda
on a sailboat. It survived just fine even with lots of spray finding
its way below decks. I use a large plastic envelope to protect the
flat panel display in stinky conditions. These are sold at W-M as
protection for chart books.

I've also used one of the small form factor PCs with good success,
coupled up with a small rubber keyboard that is waterproof (CompUSA).
In theory it would have run straight from 12V ships power but have
always ran it from a small 50 watt inverter instead (better voltage
stability).