Default John got his scooter

On 2/14/2019 6:31 PM, True North wrote:
I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.

The dry weight of my 150cc is 258 lbs.

---
https://www.avg.com

True North wrote:
I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.

Perfect for you - just ask the Honda salesman:

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto.aspx

Alex
"Perfect for you - just ask the Honda salesman:

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto.aspx"

I was looking for the info on the Super Cub 125cc.
We've all seen the original version of this bike loaded down with an entire family and all their belongings rolling along.
When they show up here I'll try it out.

On 2/14/19 6:31 PM, True North wrote:
I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.

Husqvarna makes some interesting light motorcycles

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/enduro/
Tim Tim is offline

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 6:54:51 PM UTC-6, True North wrote:
Alex
"Perfect for you - just ask the Honda salesman:

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto.aspx"

I was looking for the info on the Super Cub 125cc.

That Super cub design is what put Honda on the map. it's been around (with different names and cc's) for almost 60 years. in 1972 my little brother bought a used 50cc that was made in 1963.

He couldn't wear it out. He also had a Trail 90 which was a slightly bigger version of the same thing. Couldn't wear it out either. I don't know why Honda drops and re-introduces it.

They say it's the worlds most popular motorcycle? Probably throughout all Asia, Yes. But if it's so successful then why drop it to retro it in another 10 years or so?

Tim Tim is offline

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 5:26:28 PM UTC-6, True North wrote:
Mr. Luddite

"The scooter I bought last summer is technically *not* highway legalÂ*
here. Â*It's model number says it's a 150cc Â*but the actualÂ*
engine specs say it's 149cc developing 10.3 HP at 5,500 RPM.Â*

It still moves my 200+lb ass along though. Â*Good for back roads atÂ*
speeds up to about 40-45. Â*Top end is supposed to be about 60-65 mphÂ*
probably with a tail wind but I'll never attempt it.Â*"

Reminds me of my Honda CB160 motorcycle.

http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/ho.../hch_cb160.htm

I had one too! great little bike. It sounded like a Triumph 650. LOL

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/14/2019 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

In Massachusetts being limited access, highway legal is determined by
engine size. 150cc and up are legal, however I'd *never* attempt it.

---
https://www.avg.com

I do not think I would these days. But in 1960 was a lot less traffic.
I-80 where I lived was the East Shore Highway. With stop lights. They
took 60’ of my dad’s frontage to build the highway and Offramp at Central
Ave.

Tim wrote:
On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 6:54:51 PM UTC-6, True North wrote:
Alex
"Perfect for you - just ask the Honda salesman:

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto.aspx"

I was looking for the info on the Super Cub 125cc.

That Super cub design is what put Honda on the map. it's been around
(with different names and cc's) for almost 60 years. in 1972 my little
brother bought a used 50cc that was made in 1963.

He couldn't wear it out. He also had a Trail 90 which was a slightly
bigger version of the same thing. Couldn't wear it out either. I don't
know why Honda drops and re-introduces it.

They say it's the worlds most popular motorcycle? Probably throughout
all Asia, Yes. But if it's so successful then why drop it to retro it in
another 10 years or so?

They dropped the Cub originally because of 2 stroke engine I think.

On 14 Feb 2019 21:35:55 GMT, Keyser Soze wrote:

Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

The Lambretta was fine for put-putting around New Haven and environs but
not for the highway.

The Silverwing is plenty powerful enough for the highway.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 17:12:09 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/14/19 5:02 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

The Lambretta was fine for put-putting around New Haven and environs but
not for the highway.

When I was in high school there was a heck of a lot less people on the
road, and a bigger percentage could drive.

Well, New Haven was a small city, without a lot of heavy, through
traffic on the major streets. The scariest riding area for me was
outside the city, on U.S. 1, aka The Boston Post Road, which had lots of
commercial and industrial locations and big-time truck traffic. It
wasn't a highway as we know them today; it had lots of traffic signals
and cross streets, and it was always heavily traveled. A little
Lambretta was something you drove warily. I preferred driving it around
the little roads/streets where we spent the summers at the beach. Light
traffic, usually nothing heavy, slow speeds, no one it a big hurry.

As you know, from all your experience on the Ducati Imaginario, the only way to ride any two-wheeler
is 'warily'.