Tim Tim is offline

Default John got his scooter

Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

Keyser Soze wrote:
Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

The Lambretta was fine for put-putting around New Haven and environs but
not for the highway.

When I was in high school there was a heck of a lot less people on the
road, and a bigger percentage could drive.

On 2/14/19 5:02 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Well, New Haven was a small city, without a lot of heavy, through
traffic on the major streets. The scariest riding area for me was
outside the city, on U.S. 1, aka The Boston Post Road, which had lots of
commercial and industrial locations and big-time truck traffic. It
wasn't a highway as we know them today; it had lots of traffic signals
and cross streets, and it was always heavily traveled. A little
Lambretta was something you drove warily. I preferred driving it around
the little roads/streets where we spent the summers at the beach. Light
traffic, usually nothing heavy, slow speeds, no one it a big hurry.

On 2/14/2019 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

In Massachusetts being limited access, highway legal is determined by
engine size. 150cc and up are legal, however I'd *never* attempt it.

---
https://www.avg.com

On 2/14/19 5:19 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/14/2019 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded
it on
trailer and is headed home.Â* He says thisÂ* sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic.Â*Â* Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might
ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give
her any ideasÂ* Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower.Â* Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa.Â* Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP.Â* Required 15 for freeway travel.

Â*In Massachusetts being limited access, highway legal is determined by
engine size. 150cc and up are legal, however I'd *never* attempt it.

---
https://www.avg.com

The Lambrettas of my youth had either a 125 or 150 cc engine. My dad
preferred to sell the "larger" engine models. They had less than 10
horsepower, I recall.

They were shipped via ocean freight from Italy and each scooter arrived
packed in a heavy wooden crate. When you opened the crate, you saw that
the scooter was packed in large pieces and "some assembly" was required.
Not hard to do...I put quite a few together and also assembled boat
trailers...and I started doing that at 11 or 12. I used to drive the
"demo" Lambretta around the boat yard...much too young to drive on the
roads. Also drove the jeep around and my dad's Model A Ford "crane" truck.

On 2/14/2019 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded
it on
trailer and is headed home.Â* He says thisÂ* sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no
shifting in
traffic.Â*Â* Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might
ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give
her any ideasÂ* Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower.Â* Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa.Â* Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant
17.5
HP.Â* Required 15 for freeway travel.

Â*Â*In Massachusetts being limited access, highway legal is determined
by engine size. 150cc and up are legal, however I'd *never* attempt it.

---
https://www.avg.com

The Lambrettas of my youth had either a 125 or 150 cc engine. My dad
preferred to sell the "larger" engine models. They had less than 10
horsepower, I recall.

They were shipped via ocean freight from Italy and each scooter arrived
packed in a heavy wooden crate. When you opened the crate, you saw that
the scooter was packed in large pieces and "some assembly" was required.
Not hard to do...I put quite a few together and also assembled boat
trailers...and I started doing that at 11 or 12. I used to drive the
"demo" Lambretta around the boat yard...much too young to drive on the
roads. Also drove the jeep around and my dad's Model A Ford "crane" truck.

The scooter I bought last summer is technically *not* highway legal
here. It's model number says it's a 150cc but the actual
engine specs say it's 149cc developing 10.3 HP at 5,500 RPM.

It still moves my 200+lb ass along though. Good for back roads at
speeds up to about 40-45. Top end is supposed to be about 60-65 mph
probably with a tail wind but I'll never attempt it.

Mr. Luddite

"The scooter I bought last summer is technically *not* highway legalÂ*
here. Â*It's model number says it's a 150cc Â*but the actualÂ*
engine specs say it's 149cc developing 10.3 HP at 5,500 RPM.Â*

It still moves my 200+lb ass along though. Â*Good for back roads atÂ*
speeds up to about 40-45. Â*Top end is supposed to be about 60-65 mphÂ*
probably with a tail wind but I'll never attempt it.Â*"

Reminds me of my Honda CB160 motorcycle.
Only time I took it on a Real road trip on our 100 series highway was to go to a folk festival in the Annapolis Valley. About 60 miles one way. Found it uncomfortable on the main highway. Scared myself as I tried to pass a very long line of slow moving cars by driving on the wrong side of the country 2 lane blacktop. A pickup pulled out of a driveway right into my path. I had to squeeze my way over with inches to spare.

I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.