Default John got his scooter

On 2/15/2019 7:16 AM, John H. wrote:
On 14 Feb 2019 21:35:55 GMT, Keyser Soze wrote:

Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

The Lambretta was fine for put-putting around New Haven and environs but
not for the highway.

The Silverwing is plenty powerful enough for the highway.

Congrats on your "find". Hard to come by.

---
https://www.avg.com

On 2/15/2019 7:18 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 17:12:09 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/14/19 5:02 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Took off his morning early, went to Ohio, came to terms and loaded it on
trailer and is headed home. He says this sits really nicely, very
comfortable with plenty of 600cc power. Also very smooth. Automatic
transmission with peobably works with a Hy-Vo belt means no shifting in
traffic. Sounds great to me. I told him that Mrs Herring might ride it
and commandeer it right out from under him. He told me not to give her any ideas Lol!

Gosh, I drove a Lambretta scooter around about 60 years ago. Much
smaller engine.

And do not qualify for highway as not enough horsepower. Buddy in high
school had a 175 Vespa. Convinced the highway patrol guy that meant 17.5
HP. Required 15 for freeway travel.

The Lambretta was fine for put-putting around New Haven and environs but
not for the highway.

When I was in high school there was a heck of a lot less people on the
road, and a bigger percentage could drive.

Well, New Haven was a small city, without a lot of heavy, through
traffic on the major streets. The scariest riding area for me was
outside the city, on U.S. 1, aka The Boston Post Road, which had lots of
commercial and industrial locations and big-time truck traffic. It
wasn't a highway as we know them today; it had lots of traffic signals
and cross streets, and it was always heavily traveled. A little
Lambretta was something you drove warily. I preferred driving it around
the little roads/streets where we spent the summers at the beach. Light
traffic, usually nothing heavy, slow speeds, no one it a big hurry.

As you know, from all your experience on the Ducati Imaginario, the only way to ride any two-wheeler
is 'warily'.

Must be a difference in "driving" and "riding". I never "drove" a
motorcycle. :-)

---
https://www.avg.com

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 15:31:57 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.

Built just for you: https://powersports.honda.com/2019/m...specifications

I sat on one at the dealer. Very comfortable, even for 6'3".

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 19:42:10 -0500, Alex wrote:

True North wrote:
I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.

Perfect for you - just ask the Honda salesman:

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto.aspx

I sat on the one in the middle at the dealer's shop. As I told Don, it was very comfortable.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 20:28:05 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/14/19 6:31 PM, True North wrote:
I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.

Husqvarna makes some interesting light motorcycles

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/enduro/

How many towns have Husqvarna motorcycle dealerships? That would be my first concern.

On 2/14/19 5:02 PM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

You've never owned a Ducati Imaginario.

Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/14/19 11:12 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Thanks. This thing has only a bit over 1200 miles on it. The dealership did change the oil and trans
fluid while they had it. Even showed me the work order. Rode it for a couple miles up there. Great
acceleration. It takes a second for the auto trans to kick in, but once it does the thing definitely
wants to scoot. Of course, the first thing I did was pull in the rear brake lever and search with my
toe for the gear shift!

On 2/15/2019 7:26 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 20:28:05 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/14/19 6:31 PM, True North wrote:
I think of getting some kind of l8ght motorcycle that I could load on my utility trailer and go exploring.
Maybe something between 150cc and 250cc.....weighing no more than 250 pounds.
Not sure I'd want a rough riding dirt bike or a more refined scooter. I would use it mostly off road but on groomed trails rather than rut filled logging roads.....well, most of the time.

Husqvarna makes some interesting light motorcycles

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/enduro/

How many towns have Husqvarna motorcycle dealerships? That would be my first concern.

Don seems undecided about a small motorcycle (dirt bike) or a scooter.

A scooter is really not designed for off-road riding, even on groomed
trails. They are designed for on-road use. For his purposes, I'd
stick to a small dirt-bike type motorcycle.

---
https://www.avg.com

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 07:38:05 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

This little guy looks like it would do well on a trail or beating through the woods.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...KEY-5003595455

On 2/15/2019 7:59 AM, John H. wrote:
[...]

Yup. My point was that a scooter and a motorcycle are two entirely
different riding experiences with different balance issues. A scooter
has a flat platform for your feet whereas the motorcycle has you
straggling it, with legs on either side. I noticed it right away
when riding my little scooter and then hopping on the Suzuki motorcycle.
I wouldn't try off-road riding on the scooter.