Default No golf today

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:53:39 -0500, Alex wrote:

Thanks. My points of reference these days remain my electrostatics and
a friend's setup with genuine Klipschhorns.

Sure.

He heard that word from Luddite.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, audiophools, and narcissists...not guns!

I'm sure he did. He can't invent his possessions without the help of
others or Google.

===

I wish he'd tell us again about the imaginary Hatteras sportfish. That
was some fine boat and I'll bet he misses it. His neighbors on that
run down street in Jacksonville must have been impressed with it also.

On 2/25/16 8:08 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/25/2016 6:58 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 2/25/16 6:32 PM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:59:15 -0500, Justan Olphart
wrote:

He must've been getting warm. The name-calling has crescendoed.

It's that damn fake set of Klipschorns that's got him ****ed. Damn, if
the label
isn't even spelled correctly, you'd think they'd be able to recognize
some
not-so-genuine Klipschorns.
--

This from a moron who believe expensive little speakers deliver more
lifelike sound than expensive big speakers. Are there no limits to your

It really depends on what kind of music you typically listen to. For
example, the speakers you like and listen to have an "airy" sound to
them that are ideal for classical music and for lifelike reproduction of
acoustic instruments (guitar, etc.) along with vocals. However, they
are not that great for the lifelike reproduction of hard rock with loud
electric guitars running through distortion pedals and piercing vocals.
For that, any cheap system works just fine. Trash in = Trash out,
faithfully reproduced, of course.

Back in the late 50's and early 60's as "hi-fi" became a big deal,
speakers became generally categorized as being a "West Coast Sound" or a
"East Coast Sound". West coast speakers were brighter sounding, some
using horns instead of a paper mid-range driver whereas East coast
speakers were softer sounding in the mids, producing a more "lush"
sound. I suppose the reason was the growing popularity of rock and roll
and "surf" music that originated on the west coast.

In those days JBL was probably the leader in the "west coast" speaker
sound. East coast speakers included Jensen, Electro-voice, Advent and
eventually Bose in 1968.

Never been a fan of most of what is called "hard rock" music. Plus, I
don't listen to the music I like at really loud levels.

On 2/25/16 8:16 PM, John H. wrote:
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 6:59:01 PM UTC-5, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 2/25/16 6:32 PM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:59:15 -0500, Justan Olphart wrote:

He must've been getting warm. The name-calling has crescendoed.

It's that damn fake set of Klipschorns that's got him ****ed. Damn, if the label
isn't even spelled correctly, you'd think they'd be able to recognize some
not-so-genuine Klipschorns.
--

This from a moron who believe expensive little speakers deliver more
lifelike sound than expensive big speakers. Are there no limits to your
ignorance, JohnnyTrash?

Please show me where I ever made such a statement, or is that just more Krausescheiße? I will say that there are some small expensive speakers that deliver better sound than some big expensive speakers. Size and cost matters to you narcissists, but listening enjoyment matters to most normal people. Of course, listening enjoyment doesn't bestow 'bragging rights' which is something you sorely need. That's a shame.

I doubt a Bach organ fugue played on and recorded off a serious pipe
organ sounds better on a small speaker than on a large speaker, assuming
the speakers are of excellent quality. A small speaker, no matter the
equalization, is not going to be able to properly reproduce and present
the bass notes played by the pedals. I know that because I used to carry
a CD when shopping for speakers, and on your Bose 901s, which I once
tried out at Myer-Emco, I believe, the pedal notes sounded like farts.

Ditzy Dan Kruger blathers...
True North wrote:
There's a distinction...I do live on the North American continent but not in America. To the rest of the world..America is the United States...not Canada or Mexico.
Never said I hate America, that's The John at work playing his games.

"You forgot Greenland and about three dozen other countries in North
America, dummy."

OK dummy...list those three dozen countries that are in North America.
Does the heat down there fry everyone's brain or are you just a weak link?

wrote:

[...]

I don't know of any speaker ... large or small, expensive or not, that
can accurately reproduce "lifelike" bass pedals tones of a pipe organ
and that includes your maggies. A good sized, powered subwoofer might
helps at low volumes but it really doesn't matter anyway because the
recording of the pipe organ can't contain the full, "lifelike" tones to
begin with. You are trying to reproduce something that isn't there.

The system I had at the guitar shop's performance stage consisted of a
pair of powered JBL speakers (700 watts each) that had horns, midrange
speakers and 15" woofers. In addition, the system had two, 18" powered
JBL subwoofers at 1000 watts each. They wouldn't be able to accurately
reproduce the "lifelike", full range and intensity of a pipe organ
either. I had a B3 Hammond with Leslie on the stage that was "mike'd"
to the mixing board which, in turn, fed the audio to the JBL mains and
subs. Did a decent job but it's still not a pipe organ.

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. You might be wasting your time and space in your living room with
those big maggies then. They have to be driven fairly hard to
accurately produce a "lifelike" sound. Maybe you'd be better off with
a good set of bookshelf speakers. Bowers & Wilkins 600 series come
immediately to mind.

On 2/25/2016 11:40 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 18:58:58 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 2/25/16 6:32 PM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:59:15 -0500, Justan Olphart wrote:

He must've been getting warm. The name-calling has crescendoed.

It's that damn fake set of Klipschorns that's got him ****ed. Damn, if the label
isn't even spelled correctly, you'd think they'd be able to recognize some
not-so-genuine Klipschorns.
--

This from a moron who believe expensive little speakers deliver more
lifelike sound than expensive big speakers. Are there no limits to your
ignorance, JohnnyTrash?

Everyone is getting better sound out of small speakers these days. If
you are not trying to fill a football stadium with sound, you can use
speakers you can hold in one hand.

You just hit the nail on the head. Harry is living in the audio world
of the 1960's and 1970's when "big" was always better. Plus, I seem to
remember that his musical "library" is contained on a computer or other
digital device. What is the format of these recordings? Compressed mp3
or mp4 files? They toss out a good part of the "lifelike" recording
anyway. Even a high quality CD has limitations on dynamic range unless
they are Super CD's recorded in an entirely different format. His
"Maggies" are fine speakers, especially for his musical tastes, but even
they can't faithfully reproduce some of the stuff he is
talking about, even if it existed.

wrote:

[...]

When Harry goes to live performances he asks them to keep the volume down. That way
he can say his 'big maggies' (if he actually has any, which I doubt) match the sound
of the orchestra.

wrote:

On 2/25/16 6:32 PM, John H. wrote:
[...]

You doubt???
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, audiophools, and narcissists...not guns!

New golf hat... John H[_2_] General 2 August 21st 13 09:04 PM
Lovely Day on the Golf Course Today! John H[_2_] General 7 May 24th 13 03:03 PM
Why I play golf John H[_2_] General 31 June 11th 11 02:10 AM
No Golf Today John H[_12_] General 23 January 11th 10 05:06 PM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM