Default No golf today

On 2/14/2016 9:19 AM, True North wrote:
Mr. Luddite
On 2/14/2016 8:30 AM, John H. wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 04:38:43 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

Currently minus 9 degrees with NorthWest winds at 14 mph. Windchill
makes it feel like minus 29 degrees.

Cold, even by northeast standards.

Agreed. We're at 13, with little wind. But I'm thinking the golf balls would get so
cold I'd not want to carry them in my pocket.

"Bottomed out at minus 10.4 degrees this morning at 5:30 am according to
my digital outdoor thermometer. Matched up closely to readings from the
National Weather Service.

When it warmed back up to minus 8, I took a drive down to the local
coffee/donut shop. Tires on truck had hard flat spots from sitting
overnight in the cold, causing it to bump, bump, bump, down the road.

Supposed to climb all the way up to about 14 degrees today. At least
that's *above* zero."

Our outdoor thermometer said 20F this morning although the weather service usually records a few degrees colder. Hope you don't pass that onto us.

Our cold is the result of artic air coming down over western parts of
Canada, so it's really your fault! :-)

It's weird that we, being well south of you, can be 30 degrees F colder
than you.

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 10:38:19 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

He mentioned moving his thermometer. I had mine under a bay window outside. I noticed
one day that the temp on the receiver on my desk was much higher than what it felt
like outside. Went out to look to find the sun, after about 4 PM, was at just the
right angle to hit the thermometer.

He may be having a similar problem.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

Mr. Luddite
Our cold is the result of artic air coming down over western parts of
Canada, so it's really your fault! *:-)

"It's weird that we, being well south of you, can be 30 degrees F colder
than you."

They claim because we stick out so far into the ocean that it has a moderating effect on us. It we could just keep the Gulf Stream from heading east we'd be as mild as England.

No sun on my thermometer. It's on the north side next to our back door and blocked from the west by the addition we put on for Mom in 2002.

wrote:

It's weird that we, being well south of you, can be 30 degrees F colder
than you.

There are places in coastal Alaska that are warmer than most of the
lower 48. It is all about the water

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 10:15:06 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

No sun on my thermometer. It's on the north side next to our back door and blocked from the west by the addition we put on for Mom in 2002.

Your comment about moving it made me think of that. You're right, it's probably the
water.

wrote:

Our cold is the result of artic air coming down over western parts of
Canada, so it's really your fault! :-)

It's weird that we, being well south of you, can be 30 degrees F colder
than you.

===

Being farther east, Don gets more benefit from the Gulf Stream, at
least when the wind is right. Compare the weather in Nantucket with
where you are and you'll see the difference.

wrote:

Our cold is the result of artic air coming down over western parts of
Canada, so it's really your fault! :-)

It's weird that we, being well south of you, can be 30 degrees F colder
than you.

===

Being farther east, Don gets more benefit from the Gulf Stream, at
least when the wind is right. Compare the weather in Nantucket with
where you are and you'll see the difference.

Was at Midway Airport earlier today. Snowing and had to be de-iced. Was
cold, about 50 at 4:30 am when I went to Oakland airport.

On 2/14/2016 1:12 PM, True North wrote:
Mr. Luddite
Our cold is the result of artic air coming down over western parts of
Canada, so it's really your fault! :-)

"It's weird that we, being well south of you, can be 30 degrees F colder
than you."

They claim because we stick out so far into the ocean that it has a moderating effect on us. It we could just keep the Gulf Stream from heading east we'd be as mild as England.

But for a teensy weensy ribbon of terra firma you would be completely
surrounded by water. Aint that so?

New golf hat... John H[_2_] General 2 August 21st 13 09:04 PM
Lovely Day on the Golf Course Today! John H[_2_] General 7 May 24th 13 03:03 PM
Why I play golf John H[_2_] General 31 June 11th 11 02:10 AM
No Golf Today John H[_12_] General 23 January 11th 10 05:06 PM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM