Default No golf today

John H.
"My bad, I should not have put the apostrophe 's' in there. I meant St. John, NB. Nova
Star was the one Wayne suggested, but the link says Nova Scotia isn't renewing this
year. Time wise, driving is probably faster from St. John to Halifax than taking the
ferry from St. John to Digby and then Halifax. But, like I said in the follow-on
email, $450, one way, is more than I'd want to spend. There must be some places
around Digby that sells scallops."

The New Brunswick city is never shortened to St. It's always Saint John
The Newfoundland city gets both the shortened St and the 's at the end.
That's how we keep 'em straight.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:03:21 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

John H.
"My bad, I should not have put the apostrophe 's' in there. I meant St. John, NB. Nova
Star was the one Wayne suggested, but the link says Nova Scotia isn't renewing this
year. Time wise, driving is probably faster from St. John to Halifax than taking the
ferry from St. John to Digby and then Halifax. But, like I said in the follow-on
email, $450, one way, is more than I'd want to spend. There must be some places
around Digby that sells scallops."

The New Brunswick city is never shortened to St. It's always Saint John
The Newfoundland city gets both the shortened St and the 's at the end.
That's how we keep 'em straight.

I put St. John, NB in my Google Map and it hit it on the head. Thanks for the
correction though.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

I'd hate for you to get the wrong ferry and head off for the wrong city. That drive to St John's is long and a bit monotonous...mostly nothing but trees and the odd moose trying to share the road.

On 2/15/2016 5:48 PM, True North wrote:

I'd hate for you to get the wrong ferry and head off for the wrong city. That drive to St John's is long and a bit monotonous...mostly nothing but trees and the odd moose trying to share the road.

Question for you:

I've heard "Newfoundland" pronounced two ways down here ...

The first is "New-fund-lin" with emphasis on "New".
The other is "New-found-land" (as it's spelled) with emphasis
on "found".

So, which is it?

On Monday, 15 February 2016 18:58:52 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/15/2016 5:48 PM, True North wrote:

I'd hate for you to get the wrong ferry and head off for the wrong city. That drive to St John's is long and a bit monotonous...mostly nothing but trees and the odd moose trying to share the road.

Question for you:

I've heard "Newfoundland" pronounced two ways down here ...

The first is "New-fund-lin" with emphasis on "New".
The other is "New-found-land" (as it's spelled) with emphasis
on "found".

So, which is it?

Depending on the accent..
New-fin-land seems common here. The Newfies have their own dialect...left over from a lot of Irish influence but the townies in St Johns would sound different from the outlying fishing areas.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:52:58 -0500 (EST), fire man wrote:

John H. Wrote in message:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:09:38 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 2/15/2016 3:47 PM, John H. wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:19:25 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

John H.
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 07:45:43 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

One of the Disney ships makes a Canadian Coastline Cruise leaving from New York with
stops at St. John and Halifax. But, almost $6000 for the two of us for only five days
seems a bit excessive. I'm thinking it would be much cheaper and about as much fun to
RV it up there. It's only about 1150 miles - two days travel time, staying off the
toll roads. Wonder if there's a ferry from St. John's to Halifax. Could be fun.

http://tinyurl.com/juhmeno

Moto Guzzi is your summertime friend, John

"For me, sure. But I could never convince Sandy to ride on the back for 2300 miles!"

To bad you can't haul your bike on back of the rv. The Cabot Trail is claimed to be one of the premier motorcycle destinations in North America

If I had a $250000 motorhome, I could put a lift and platform to haul the bike on the
back of it. The trailer frame isn't strong enough to hang 550lbs off the ass end. A
friend and I took our motorcycles from here up to Acadia National Park, with all the
stops in-between. Took about two weeks. Great trip, except for having to completely
unpack everything and lay it all out for Canadian customs when we went to visit
Montreal.

The fifth wheel we had was a Keystone Raptor "toy hauler". Had a 12'
garage in the back with a twin loft bed above it. Came with tracks
built in the floor and walls for strapping one or two full sized
motorcycles, a golf cart or other personal transportation vehicle.

Floorplan:

http://cdn0.traderonline.com/v1/media/56b89753b23a22407606a7d6.jpg?width=1024&height=768 &quality=70

That would have solved the motorcycle issue, but I've been plenty happy just with the
pickup. We really like the layout of ours. The moveable island isn't shown as it was
an option.

http://cdn3.traderonline.com/v1/medi...8 &quality=70
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

Looks pretty comfy. Nice floor plan.

One nice thing about the layout is that all the important stuff is accessible with
the slides in. If we want to spend the night at a Flying J, we can do so comfortably.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

True North wrote:
Oh boy...now I feel really cold.
Local CBC says it's minus 12C but feels like minus 23C due to wind.
I'd better buy a new outdoor thermometer...or place the current one further from the house.

Sure you can afford one?

Ditzy Dan Kruger blathers...
True North wrote:
Oh boy...now I feel really cold.
Local CBC says it's minus 12C but feels like minus 23C due to wind.
I'd better buy a new outdoor thermometer...or place the current one further from the house.

"Sure you can afford one?"

I can afford to buy a new boat, dummy.
Wife and I picked out one yesterday at the local boat show.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 19:38:42 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

Ditzy Dan Kruger blathers...
True North wrote:
Oh boy...now I feel really cold.
Local CBC says it's minus 12C but feels like minus 23C due to wind.
I'd better buy a new outdoor thermometer...or place the current one further from the house.

"Sure you can afford one?"

I can afford to buy a new boat, dummy.
Wife and I picked out one yesterday at the local boat show.

So? Come on...tell us more. Pictures?

Here I've spent hours reading and listening to computer sound systems, and you're
doing something constructive!

True North wrote:
Oh boy...now I feel really cold.
Local CBC says it's minus 12C but feels like minus 23C due to wind.
I'd better buy a new outdoor thermometer...or place the current one
further from the house.

"Sure you can afford one?"

I can afford to buy a new boat, dummy.
Wife and I picked out one yesterday at the local boat show.

So? Come on...tell us more. Pictures?

Here I've spent hours reading and listening to computer sound systems, and you're
doing something constructive!
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

Saw some nice ones for sale traveling up US-1 in the keys. 2,3,4 motor
outboards.

New golf hat... John H[_2_] General 2 August 21st 13 09:04 PM
Lovely Day on the Golf Course Today! John H[_2_] General 7 May 24th 13 03:03 PM
Why I play golf John H[_2_] General 31 June 11th 11 02:10 AM
No Golf Today John H[_12_] General 23 January 11th 10 05:06 PM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM