Default Shooting the P226...

On 2/6/2014 1:12 PM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 2/6/14, 12:56 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On 6 Feb 2014 16:45:23 GMT, F.O.A.D. wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 08:46:05 -0500, Poco Loco
wrote:

snipped

Originally the thought was shooting off to your side presented less of
a target to the other guy. Then someone pointed out that one shot
could get your heart and both lungs.

That rarely happens when you are shooting at targets. ? Gunfight
seem to
be on your mind a lot. Is that because you are in a stand your ground
state?

Did you get your concealed carry permit to shoot at targets?

No, John. Do you think one is necessary?

Not one but three cc permits. Someone should ask Harry why he needs them
since his cowboy 22 or 45 are hardly concealable for all *practical*
purposes.

On 2/6/2014 8:46 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 23:05:48 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:58:37 -0500, Poco Loco
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:23:44 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 2/5/14, 11:19 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:24:14 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 2/5/14, 10:20 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
...is great! Took it to the range yesterday and put a hundred rounds through it. That gun is smooth
as silk. Two law enforcement folks saw the gun and asked what it was. I let them shoot it, and they
loved it also. I will admit right up front that these guys were much more accurate than I was! They
were hitting the man-sized silhouette targets at 25 yards with no sweat.

They got me thinking of taking a shooting class.

They were hitting man-sized targets at 25 yards, and that makes them
more accurate than you are? They should be able to put six shots in a
pie tin sized area of that man-sized target at 25 yards, and that would
only make them "OK" shots.

Don't get into a gunfight.

They demonstrated their abilities to out shoot me at the 7 yard range. I didn't try any shots at
their targets. I can't see well enough to see where they were placing their rounds in the big
targets.

Oh, seven yards. Yeah, that's the typical cop range, and also the "self
defense" range most of the instructors use.

The 'tests' they were doing had them shooting at targets from about 2 yards (quick draw and fire)
out to 25 yards. Probably more at 7 yards than anywhere else.

You should be able to shoot
offhanded and put six in a circle no larger than a navel orange at seven
yards if you can see decently with your glasses. Rx shooting glasses
might help, with one lens set for the distance from your eye to about a
foot beyond the front sight, and the other set for distance.

That is a problem. My computer/reading glasses are just right for the front sight, but the target is
a blur. My distance/reading glasses are great for the target, but the sights are a blur. As for the
navel orange...I'm thinking more a mandarin.

And, I hate the idea of some MS13 guy breaking into my house and me having to say, "Just a minute, I
have to find my Rx shooting glasses!"

You sound like the perfect candidate for a laser

At the range the other day someone had a laser on their gun. The target was at the 7 yard range, and
all I could see was the red spot. It was dancing all over the target like the guy was playing with a
cat. It was obvious he was trying to use it to aim, but he couldn't get it still enough. So, he shut
it off. Of course most of the folks there were laughing under their breath.

Anyway, I learned never to take a laser to the range. I'm not steady enough.

Some of the laser systems have a "dance" mode and a steady mode. One of
the handguns I have or had does that, but I can't remember which one.
I never use the laser anyway

wrote:

[...]

If you watch the shooting shows the pros don't look that steady with a
laser either but they still put up good scores.
It might actually be a good training tool to work on your steadiness.
The serious shooters I knew did strength training with hand weights.
That was when the one hand hold was king tho.
Then the Weaver stance and the 2 hand grip took over.

Originally the thought was shooting off to your side presented less of
a target to the other guy. Then someone pointed out that one shot
could get your heart and both lungs.

Thank you too for the laser info.

I'd add this comment for what it's worth:

If you shoot at an outdoor range and the target is exposed to sunshine
the lasers they put on handguns become worthless beyond a few yards.
The only laser equipped firearm I have with a laser strong enough to be
seen at any reasonable distance is the Ruger .22 rifle.

On 2/6/2014 8:51 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 23:11:23 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 17:30:52 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 2/5/14, 5:21 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

How do they compare size wise? The one good thing about the Bodyguard
is that it was a good pocket size pistol. Problem was that if I ever
had to use it in a hurry for self-defense I'd probably hit the sucker in
the foot.

Pocket pistols give me the creepies. I dunno why. If I were buying a
carry pistol, it wouldn't fit in my pocket. My fav revolver probably is
the S&W 686.

You still should have a holster, even for a pocket pistol. I agree I
don't like the pocket idea either. When I was carrying I used a cross
draw hip carry or the good old shoulder holster if I was wearing a
suit. Both were accessible in the car.
Both

I was thinking about Dick's post last night. I'm halfway thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/te...ide-image2.png

They come especially made for various pistols, including the P938.

And then I wondered, why not just carry it in the front pocket of my jeans - without a holster. What
does the pocket holster do for you?

Heh. I had one of those. Gave it to my wife. She carries her
cellphone and other junk in it. The idea of the pocket holster is
three fold. One, it keeps the gun and barrel clean of crap you might
have in the bottom of your pocket and two, it holds it in a position
that is easy to withdraw and three, prevents catching things like the
trigger on your pants. The one I had for the Bodyguard was this one:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/361/361065.jpg

Inexpensive and worked well.

On 2/6/2014 1:28 PM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 2/6/14, 1:20 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:15:01 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

A shotgun is much better for home defense than a pistol.

I always hear that but I wonder if the theory has ever been tested.

Where do you keep this shotgun and what kind is it?

Do you keep it loaded?

What ammo?

Are you planning on just hiding behind the bed or are you going to
leave your bedroom?

I really question the idea of getting to a long gun safe, loading a
tube fed shotgun and actually maneuvering around the house with a full
sized sporting shotgun without someone taking it away from you.
If you are loaded with 00 buck, you might as well be using a .45 as
far as over penetration goes and the pattern on an 18" cylinder bore
is still going to be a couple inches at any range you are likely to
have in the house so you still have to aim. Where is the advantage?

That Biden quote may have been the stupidest thing I have ever heard,
even from Biden.

There are at least two advantages to a short barrel but legal shotgun
for home defense:

Aim is important, but a tad less so than with a pistol since unchoked
the pellets will have a wider spread than a bullet. Shotgun pellets are
less likely to penetrate multiple panels of drywall and kill a kid or
your wife two rooms away.

As usual, you are a little fuzzy on details.

On 2/6/2014 1:23 PM, True North wrote:
How's my mom doing??
I assume she's doing just fine up in heaven as we are coming up on the 2nd anniversary of her death.
If you can change your ways you just might get the chance to ask her yourself some day.

I assume you are addressing the heathen, Harry.

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 13:28:04 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 2/6/14, 1:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

You missed these questions. I'd find your answers interesting.

Where do you keep this shotgun and what kind is it?

Do you keep it loaded?

What ammo?

Are you planning on just hiding behind the bed or are you going to
leave your bedroom?

Took Grandson Shooting... John H.[_5_] General 10 November 28th 13 08:03 PM
Another shooting? [email protected] General 88 December 27th 12 02:55 AM
Hospital Shooting jps General 30 August 19th 09 05:14 AM
Shooting from the boat Frogwatch[_2_] General 1 November 23rd 08 02:14 AM
shooting skeet Parallax Cruising 2 October 20th 03 11:07 PM