Default Shooting the P226...

On 2/6/2014 11:52 AM, KC wrote:
On 2/6/2014 11:18 AM, HanK wrote:
On 2/6/2014 10:36 AM, KC wrote:
On 2/6/2014 10:34 AM, HanK wrote:
On 2/6/2014 10:09 AM, KC wrote:
On 2/6/2014 9:57 AM, HanK wrote:
On 2/6/2014 8:52 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 2/6/14, 8:46 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 23:05:48 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:58:37 -0500, Poco Loco

wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:23:44 -0500, "F.O.A.D."
wrote:

On 2/5/14, 11:19 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:24:14 -0500, "F.O.A.D."
wrote:

On 2/5/14, 10:20 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
...is great! Took it to the range yesterday and put a hundred
rounds through it. That gun is smooth
as silk. Two law enforcement folks saw the gun and asked
what it
was. I let them shoot it, and they
loved it also. I will admit right up front that these guys
were
much more accurate than I was! They
were hitting the man-sized silhouette targets at 25 yards
with
no sweat.

They got me thinking of taking a shooting class.

They were hitting man-sized targets at 25 yards, and that
makes
them
more accurate than you are? They should be able to put six
shots
in a
pie tin sized area of that man-sized target at 25 yards, and
that
would
only make them "OK" shots.

Don't get into a gunfight.

They demonstrated their abilities to out shoot me at the 7 yard
range. I didn't try any shots at
their targets. I can't see well enough to see where they were
placing their rounds in the big
targets.

Oh, seven yards. Yeah, that's the typical cop range, and also
the
"self
defense" range most of the instructors use.

The 'tests' they were doing had them shooting at targets from
about
2 yards (quick draw and fire)
out to 25 yards. Probably more at 7 yards than anywhere else.

You should be able to shoot
offhanded and put six in a circle no larger than a navel
orange at
seven
yards if you can see decently with your glasses. Rx shooting
glasses
might help, with one lens set for the distance from your eye to
about a
foot beyond the front sight, and the other set for distance.

That is a problem. My computer/reading glasses are just right for
the front sight, but the target is
a blur. My distance/reading glasses are great for the target, but
the sights are a blur. As for the
navel orange...I'm thinking more a mandarin.

And, I hate the idea of some MS13 guy breaking into my house
and me
having to say, "Just a minute, I
have to find my Rx shooting glasses!"

You sound like the perfect candidate for a laser

At the range the other day someone had a laser on their gun. The
target was at the 7 yard range, and
all I could see was the red spot. It was dancing all over the
target
like the guy was playing with a
cat. It was obvious he was trying to use it to aim, but he couldn't
get it still enough. So, he shut
it off. Of course most of the folks there were laughing under their
breath.

Anyway, I learned never to take a laser to the range. I'm not
steady
enough.

I have a pair of "shooting glasses," as I described above. Call your
opthalmologist, tell him you are bringing an unloaded pistol so he
can
fix you up with a pair. You'll be astonished at the difference it
makes
in your accuracy when you can see the rear and front sight *and* the
target.
Do you keep your shooting glasses on your night stand at night? Do
you
wear your shooting glasses when you carry?

Why, you don't think honing your skills with the glasses would help
you
in a situation where you didn't have them? I totally disagree, we
train
for muscle memory and repetition of form. Lets put it this way, you
train for form and ideal reaction in the gym with everything
controlled,
so when you are out there and are out of control or things are
happening
faster than you can consciously process them or the situation is not
ideal, your instincts take over.... and you perform as close to
perfect
as your training is... In Johns case, (well maybe not John sounds like
he needs a bit more range time say Tim, I suppose he could take
out a
burgler in the dark, without his glasses anyway...
It's perfectly OK with me that you disagree with your interpretation of
what I said. ;-)

Well, why not tell us what you were saying then.... Cause a reasonable
person could believe you were leading to a discussion as to weather it's
good to wear them at the range, if you won't have them otherwise, tell
me where I'm wrong??

If you rely on a crutch to make your way around the house, it follows
that you should take the crutch with you when you go out for a walk.
Does that sound reasonable?

Not really.... I wear glasses, I am sure I could shoot someone without
them just fine though...

If you say so.

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:15:01 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 2/6/14, 12:08 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:09:31 -0500, KC wrote:

snipped

I'd think honing your skills with the equipment you normally carry would be the appropriate thing to
do. Like I said at the beginning, I don't want to have to tell those MS13 guys running rampant in my
neighborhood, according to Harry, to wait while I hunt down my 'shooting glasses'.

A shotgun is much better for home defense than a pistol.

Messy.

Say what?
You have cataracts yet are armed and dangerous?
Mrs H. better get herself a PortaPottie for the bedroom. She can't take the chance of walking back from the bathroom in the night.

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 10:04:09 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

Say what?
You have cataracts yet are armed and dangerous?
Mrs H. better get herself a PortaPottie for the bedroom. She can't take the chance of walking back from the bathroom in the night.

Only mildly, in one eye.

Why do consider me dangerous?

How's your mom doing, Don?

On 2/6/14, 12:56 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On 6 Feb 2014 16:45:23 GMT, F.O.A.D. wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 08:46:05 -0500, Poco Loco
wrote:

snipped

Originally the thought was shooting off to your side presented less of
a target to the other guy. Then someone pointed out that one shot
could get your heart and both lungs.

That rarely happens when you are shooting at targets. ? Gunfight seem to
be on your mind a lot. Is that because you are in a stand your ground
state?

Did you get your concealed carry permit to shoot at targets?

No, John. Do you think one is necessary?

How's my mom doing??
I assume she's doing just fine up in heaven as we are coming up on the 2nd anniversary of her death.
If you can change your ways you just might get the chance to ask her yourself some day.

Took Grandson Shooting... John H.[_5_] General 10 November 28th 13 08:03 PM
Another shooting? [email protected] General 88 December 27th 12 02:55 AM
Hospital Shooting jps General 30 August 19th 09 05:14 AM
Shooting from the boat Frogwatch[_2_] General 1 November 23rd 08 02:14 AM
shooting skeet Parallax Cruising 2 October 20th 03 11:07 PM