Default For animal lovers...

On 5/4/2012 2:47 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:08:23 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

On Fri, 4 May 2012 11:42:28 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

On 5/4/2012 9:36 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In ,
says...

On Thu, 03 May 2012 12:54:44 -0400, John
wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

I do think it is funny that these avid fish hunters draw the line at
killing a deer or a rabbit.

Since I wrote the above, I take it you are talking about me. I catch and
release.

Maybe if we rigged an ear of corn with big treble hooks. snagged the
deer, dragged the deer up to the truck with a winch, kicking and
bleeding. Then put him, live, in an air tight box to slowly suffocate
it would be OK.

I catch and release.

So if I just dragged the deer up to the truck, ripped the hooks out
and let him stagger away, it would be OK.

You do understand that a very significant number of "released" fish
die from the experience?

You are talking to the plum, what he knows has no bearing on what he says...

wrote:

[...]

I won't even talk about what fishermen do to the bait. That is down
right medieval.

I know! Those rubber worms and Rapalas that I use are SO abused.....

Bass fishermen are different, nobody wants to eat a freshwater bass
anyway, and artificials are perfect for them... Other fishermen catch
fish you want to eat, and they don't do as well with artificials. I
suppose you are gonna' tell us you never took a fish, never killed a
fish, and never used natural bait, right??? Pffffttt. I suppose you will.

Lots of people eat freshwater bass, jerkwater.

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but private citizens can't protect themselves from Government with
fish hooks...

You couldn't protect yourself from two prepubescent girls.

On 5/4/2012 6:34 PM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:39:01 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

There's a place in gawds kingdom for all animals; usually right next
to my mashed potatoes.

Still folks out there that would rather see the things slowly starve to
death...

Makes you wonder how any animal species ever survived without man
killing them in mass.

Without man, there was nobody there to care, if they slowly starved to
death from poor weather, diminished food stocks, or overpopulation.

Who mourned the extinction of the dinosaurs?

Species go extinct each and every day. Why do we care?

Why don't you tell us, you are the one crying about it..

X ` Man wrote:
On 5/4/12 1:02 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 20:32:41 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/3/12 8:25 PM, Richard Casady wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:44:24 -0400, X `
wrote:

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Casady

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

There are significantly more deer in the suburbs than there ever have
been but the residents would not tolerate repopulating the predators
necessary for natural control. It turns out white tail deer are very
well adapted to suburban living. I have even seen them on the
Whitehurst Freeway in downtown DC.
Can you imagine the howl people would put up if we dumped a couple
dozen cougars around the beltway and in Rock Creek Park?
I doubt they would even tolerate that down in rural Calvert County.

(yet they did it near where I live here in SW Florida)

A few thousand cougars running loose in Florida could only improve the
quality of life for everyone in that state.

Isn't that the panther in FL?

X ` Man wrote:

wrote:

...and those who find hunters despicable.

http://dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/animals.jpg

More species are saved by hunters than all the PETA and "save the
animals" kooks combined.

Hunters put their money where their mouth is and they actually do
things to preserve habitat and encourage species survival. They
don't
just whine about it.

BTW I don't hunt.

Yeah, killing animals saves them. Got it!

Finally...

Well it figures that you'd think that killing an animal is saving it.

Figures you would bring it down to the single animal level to make a
point, when the conversation is about hunting in general... Frekin'
engineers... snicker

It takes a really brave man to shoot a deer. It's so...sporting.

I'm not a hunter, but I'd rather see one shot for food than hit by a car
and killing the passengers.

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:36:59 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

This is more the result of man killing the predators and then growing great
food crops for the deer. A lot more deer than the natural world would
support.

That is true.
There are far more deer in the US, particularly the east, than there
were when the Mayflower landed.
Crops are a real gravy train for them but it turns out that they also
thrive on ornamental plants in suburbia. I am still not sure why they
were on the Whitehurst freeway that night but I assume it was just a
short cut from the yummy food up on Foxhall road and the parkland in
Foggy Bottom.

I live about 3 blocks from open space. Have had deer eat the roses, (local
nursery never has to prune their roses.) and eat the hibiscus on the front
porch. We have a mountain lion or 3 in the area. Friends have a sheep
ranch and had to have the state hunter kill one last year. They have been
seen on the local middle school grounds and the primary school. Probably
same lion as was same day. Grocery shopping? Lots of deer in the area. As
well as turkeys, that are not a native California bird. Almost hit one
today leaving town as it walked across the road. 55 mph speed limit. Most
of the game is because the hunters put up the money for the refuges.

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:54:33 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 3:47 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:17:34 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 2:52 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:31:00 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 1:09 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:39:56 -0400, X ` Man

I don't do much fishing anymore. I do, however, think it is more
sporting than hunting. There's nothing sporting about seeing an elk
or a
moose a few hundred yards away and then shooting it with a high
powered
rifle and scope.

How is that any less "sporting" than sitting in the lounge of your
sport fish, sipping a cold drink, waiting for a tuna to hit one of
the
ballyhoo you are trolling?
The mate probably rigged the bait and struck the fish. All you did
was
reel it in.

Well, it is less sporting because fishing for big pelagics is a lot
more
dangerous than shooting a moose or an elk, but I'm not a fan of that
sort of "hunting," either.

It is basically the same as the canned hunt you are talking about on a
game ranch and I am not sure where the danger is ... unless the boat
sinks.

I wasn't making a comparison to a canned hunt but to "regular" hunting,
and if you've never been aboard a boat targeting 500-pound fish, you
have no idea of the dangers involved...that have nothing to do with the
boat sinking.

What dangers? We are not talking about Alaskan crab fishermen here.
How many recreational fishermen are killed every year? (tossing out
the ones who just get drunk and fall out of the boat)

You mean, other than being pulled overboard by a fish, being bitten by a
pelagic, falling and hitting your head, arm strain, neck strain, back
strain, being impaled with large fish hooks, stabbed by knives, sun
poisoning, and heatstroke, among other things?

I am sure that pales in comparison to the number of hunters who fall
out of tree stands, drown in freezing water, get attacked by the
animal they are hunting, get bit by snakes, get shot by other hunters
or just shoot themselves. They still have all of those exposure risks,
knife injury risks and strain injuries trying to drag that elk out of
the woods. I suppose we could get some kind of numbers but I don't
care that much because they are probably meaningless.

You are still ignoring all the fishermen who are simply bottom fishing
off their dock. (probably analogous to shooting squirrels off
porch)

Harry probably has not fished for big fish. Especially East Coast fishing.
they fish out of fighting chairs, where they are strapped in and have heavy
duty reels with set drag. I fish for tuna out of San Diego. We do stand up
fishing, no chairs, just a fighting belt. I have caught 100# tuna and never
felt that I was going to be pulled overboard. The drags on the reels
prevent the excess pull on your body. Even with 150# test line, you are
only going to feel maybe 35# pull. The line drag from the water will add a
bunch of drag to the line, but not to the reel. My last fish was 96# and
with about 350 yds of line out it took near an hour to land the fish. That
is with 65# PowerPro and 50# mono topshot. Probably 40# Flouro leader.
You are beat after the fishing landed, but still not feeling like you are
going to be pulled overboard. Big Marlin in Cabo are a fighting chair fish,
so still pretty safe except for stupidity.

wrote:

[...]

I've read several serious articles about the cats that indicate they are
what are commonly known as cougars.