X ` Man X ` Man is offline

Default For animal lovers...

On 5/4/12 9:07 PM, Earl wrote:
X ` Man wrote:
On 5/4/12 1:02 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 20:32:41 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/3/12 8:25 PM, Richard Casady wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:44:24 -0400, X `
wrote:

I live just outside Des Moines, and the local deer are so numerous as
to be catagorized as vermin. I lost an auto to one. They cross my lawn
on a daily basis. It would be great if hunters would kill vast numbers
of them.

Casady

Typically, the problem you describe is the result of man encroaching on
the natural habit of woodland critters and decimating it. So, we take
away the land on which critters live, eat, and breathe, and then we
shoot them.

There are significantly more deer in the suburbs than there ever have
been but the residents would not tolerate repopulating the predators
necessary for natural control. It turns out white tail deer are very
well adapted to suburban living. I have even seen them on the
Whitehurst Freeway in downtown DC.
Can you imagine the howl people would put up if we dumped a couple
dozen cougars around the beltway and in Rock Creek Park?
I doubt they would even tolerate that down in rural Calvert County.

(yet they did it near where I live here in SW Florida)

A few thousand cougars running loose in Florida could only improve the
quality of life for everyone in that state.

Isn't that the panther in FL?

I've read several serious articles about the cats that indicate they are
what are commonly known as cougars.