Default For animal lovers...

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 5 May 2012 09:11:48 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 04 May 2012 19:28:55 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

Bass fishermen are different, nobody wants to eat a freshwater bass
anyway, and artificials are perfect for them... Other fishermen catch
fish you want to eat, and they don't do as well with artificials. I
suppose you are gonna' tell us you never took a fish, never killed a
fish, and never used natural bait, right??? Pffffttt. I suppose you will.

Lots of people eat freshwater bass, jerkwater.

Not serious bass fishermen.

That is the old fish story isn't it? The largest recorded large mouth
was reportedly caught by an old woman who had it weighed at a local
store. When the word got out about it and the record people tracked
her down, they were just finishing it up ... or so the legend goes.

After all it is a fish story.

None of the guys I fish fresh water with keep a bass. They will catch
a mess of specks if they want a fish fry.

On the other hand all of the salt water people I know are in the
fillet and release club.

Go your local Asian market with live fish sales. There will be those Bass
for sale.

They eat dogs too.

There is also the traditional Asian dish Mo Goo Gai Cat.

I find it incredible that some here don't realize that bass is eaten (a
lot) and it's very good!

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:01:15 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:36:59 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

This is more the result of man killing the predators and then growing great
food crops for the deer. A lot more deer than the natural world would
support.

That is true.
There are far more deer in the US, particularly the east, than there
were when the Mayflower landed.
Crops are a real gravy train for them but it turns out that they also
thrive on ornamental plants in suburbia. I am still not sure why they
were on the Whitehurst freeway that night but I assume it was just a
short cut from the yummy food up on Foxhall road and the parkland in
Foggy Bottom.

We have a herd of at least six, that I saw last year, roaming our damn neighborhood. I am a long way
from the 'country'.

The anti-hunter ideas of 'saving the wildlife' are pure bull****. Africa is a different story, but
we're not talking about shooting elephants and tigers.

I expect those who talk about shooting 'fish in a barrel' have never tried to hit a quail or
pheasant on the fly or gone rabbit hunting with a .22 (and brought home dinner).

No, it's not bull****. My uncle's father, who lived to be 99 used to
tell me stories when I was a kid. He was a son of a farmer, then a
farmer in the middle of no where. He never saw a deer until he was in
his 30's because before they started regulating the hunt, they were
almost wiped out.

On Fri, 04 May 2012 18:03:47 -0400, Oscar wrote:

On 5/4/2012 4:22 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/4/12 4:07 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:54:33 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 3:47 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:17:34 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 2:52 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:31:00 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 1:09 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:39:56 -0400, X ` Man

I don't do much fishing anymore. I do, however, think it is more
sporting than hunting. There's nothing sporting about seeing an
elk or a
moose a few hundred yards away and then shooting it with a high
powered
rifle and scope.

How is that any less "sporting" than sitting in the lounge of your
sport fish, sipping a cold drink, waiting for a tuna to hit one
of the
ballyhoo you are trolling?
The mate probably rigged the bait and struck the fish. All you
did was
reel it in.

Well, it is less sporting because fishing for big pelagics is a
lot more
dangerous than shooting a moose or an elk, but I'm not a fan of that
sort of "hunting," either.

It is basically the same as the canned hunt you are talking about
on a
game ranch and I am not sure where the danger is ... unless the boat
sinks.

I wasn't making a comparison to a canned hunt but to "regular"
hunting,
and if you've never been aboard a boat targeting 500-pound fish, you
have no idea of the dangers involved...that have nothing to do with
the
boat sinking.

What dangers? We are not talking about Alaskan crab fishermen here.
How many recreational fishermen are killed every year? (tossing out
the ones who just get drunk and fall out of the boat)

You mean, other than being pulled overboard by a fish, being bitten by a
pelagic, falling and hitting your head, arm strain, neck strain, back
strain, being impaled with large fish hooks, stabbed by knives, sun
poisoning, and heatstroke, among other things?

I am sure that pales in comparison to the number of hunters who fall
out of tree stands, drown in freezing water, get attacked by the
animal they are hunting, get bit by snakes, get shot by other hunters
or just shoot themselves. They still have all of those exposure risks,
knife injury risks and strain injuries trying to drag that elk out of
the woods. I suppose we could get some kind of numbers but I don't
care that much because they are probably meaningless.

You are still ignoring all the fishermen who are simply bottom fishing
off their dock. (probably analogous to shooting squirrels off your
porch)

Indeed, I was discussing big game fishing, since you mentioned sportfish
boats, tuna, ballyhoo and mates.

Oh, I wouldn't shoot a squirrel or any other animal.

Man is animal.

It's OK to kill baby humans.

On 5/5/12 6:22 PM, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 18:03:47 -0400, wrote:

On 5/4/2012 4:22 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/4/12 4:07 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:54:33 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 3:47 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:17:34 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 2:52 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:31:00 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 1:09 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Once they are born and actual baby humans, conservatives don't give a
**** about them.

"“Liberalism is trust of the people tempered by prudence. Conservatism
is distrust of the people tempered by fear.”
~William E. Gladstone

wrote:

[...]

Kevin, you just made the case for today's hunting laws. They bring back the animals. Now, there
needs to be more hunting to thin the population enough such that the rest of the herds can remain
healthy.

Thanks for your insightful post. Well done.