Default Boating on a budget? That's for me!

On 04/01/2012 8:09 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:30:06 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/life/art...ing-affordable

“Boats are a great investment for a family because it’s a way to
socialize and spend time together,” says Ellen Hopkins, a spokes*woman
for Discover Boating. “A lot of my friends who grew up boating said
that one of their best memories was going out with their dads on
Sundays and fishing — it’s a unique way to bond. It’s like a
minivacation, even just being on a kayak on the water.”

Yeah, beats driving 120 miles to 6 flags and paying $50 bucks each to
get in then end up standing on hot asphalt waiting an hr to ride some
whirlie-gig and eat $5.00 hotdogs....

The cheapest way to own a boat is to use it a lot. Then your per hour
cost drops to a very low number.

Or rent it. Also saves patching up road chipping and the like. Better
gas millage too when getting there.

--
No mater how liberally you try to ignore rationality and reality,
reality always wins in the end.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 5, 3:02*am, wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:51:48 -0700, Canuck57
wrote:

The cheapest way to own a boat is to use it a lot. Then your per hour
cost drops to a very low number.

Or rent it. *Also saves patching up road chipping and the like. *Better
gas millage too when getting there.

--

Most of the people I know would be thousands of dollars a year ahead
if they just rented a boat on the dozen days a year they actually go

round here, there's not much chance on renting a boat that is unless
it's some giant houseboat. The marina liabilities won't allow it.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

But used boats go reasonamble. I've got $1500.00 (plus some repairs)
in my 18'r and even less in my 23' Marquis which is actually a bigger
and better boat.

The small one is great for a fast hitch-n-go. The bigger one, is a
real tug to pull behind my car, so It's geting built for a river
cruise short vacation....

Still less than going to Kings Island, Dolly World or 6 flags.

wrote:

[...]

In this area and elsewhere, there are boat timeshare operations. The
dealer from whom I bought my Parkers is part of a national operation of
such. I asked my salesman there about it once, and was surprised at how
expensive it was. Of course, they send you out in new Gradys and
Parkers. But it still cheaper than buying, maintaining and either
trailering or slipping a new boat of similar quality.

wrote in message ...

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:26:42 -0500, X ` Man
wrote:

In this area and elsewhere, there are boat timeshare operations. The
dealer from whom I bought my Parkers is part of a national operation of
such. I asked my salesman there about it once, and was surprised at how
expensive it was. Of course, they send you out in new Gradys and
Parkers. But it still cheaper than buying, maintaining and either
trailering or slipping a new boat of similar quality.

I had a friend from work who was a member of one of those boat clubs.
It worked out well for him because he could arrange his work schedule
to get out in the middle of the week. He got a boat just about any
time he wanted it on a week day. You were in a virtual lottery on the
weekend.

Admin assistant I had at one time, thought $180 for a 1/2 day of bass
fishing with a guide, including tip on Lake Fork, TX was excessive. Cheap
compared to what it costs for me to own and run my boat. And he furnished
the gear, and cleaned up at the end of the day. I would fish a 1/2 day with
him, which was a very generous 1/2 day and then drive to DFW to catch a
flight home. Was nice that way to go to Dallas for business meetings. Stay
in a $170 / day room for business and then grab a nice $50 room in Alba for
a night. Company paid for the car rental anyways.

wrote:

[...]

Search for boating clubs in your area. They are fractional ownership
clubs with several boats from which you can choose. Some offer a
variety depending on the use you have in mind - fishing, cruising,
overnighting, etc.

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. $100/day for 14 days is $1400 (book longer, lower rates). The
things depreciate faster than that. As you say, no stale gas, no
storage, no annual winterization, no road chips to repair, just fun.

Also why I charter. For the price you get the boat and a local expert.
While someone fiddles with their motor to get it started and doesn't
know where on the lake to go, your catching fish.

I can easily put $40K into investments for a 10% return and it pays for
the whole vacation each year.

Now if your retired, living on a lake, going to use it 60 days a
year....owning makes a lot of sense.

Plus without a boat you have flexibility. No obligations. Ocean
fishing in winter, or inland in summer, or the other coast and nothing
to tow. Probably why I lost count on the lakes/places I have fished.

Plus, if you have a boat, they don't let you take in on fly in fishing runs.

For me, it makes no sense to own. Being in southern Alberta, no real
decent lakes (there are a few but crowded) it saves me dragging it all over.

On Jan 5, 2:24*pm, Canuck57 wrote:

For me, it makes no sense to own. *Being in southern Alberta, no real
decent lakes (there are a few but crowded) it saves me dragging it all over.
--

But that's one of the beauties of a smaller trailer boat. It's paid
for, doesn't eat much, can be hooked to an any or no given notice, and

Kinda nice in the middle of the summer to drag the boat to work (4 mi)
the at 5, head for the lake, boat/relax for about 2-21/2 hrs, and be
home by 9pm right when the sun is down. did that 2-3 times a week a
couple years ago.

Sometimes it was just the boat, a life vest and a cold bottle of
water., and me of course.

very peaceful

On Jan 5, 11:24*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jan 5, 2:24*pm, Canuck57 wrote:

For me, it makes no sense to own. *Being in southern Alberta, no real
decent lakes (there are a few but crowded) it saves me dragging it all over.
--

But that's one of the beauties of a smaller trailer boat. It's paid
for, doesn't eat much, can be hooked to an any or no given notice, and
even head for a small lake 25 mi away (Omega Lake), run what you brung
and go home. No appointments, no real travel time, no hassles.

Kinda nice in the middle of the summer to drag the boat to work (4 mi)
the at 5, head for the lake, boat/relax for about 2-21/2 hrs, and be
home by 9pm right when the sun is down. *did that 2-3 times a week a
couple years ago.

Sometimes it was just the boat, a life vest and a cold bottle of
water., and me *of course.

very peaceful

! agree!
A trailerable boat is a great way to go. Sure saves a lot in yacht
club fees and you can boat in a much larger area without long ocean
voyages. The trick is to figure out what size boat is practical for
both small/medium lakes and coastal ocean waters.

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 04:54:51 -0800 (PST), North Star
wrote:

The trick is to figure out what size boat is practical for
both small/medium lakes and coastal ocean waters.

===

A 24 ft I/O with a small cuddy cabin works well for that in my
experience. You need a truck or large SUV for towing however.

Do you have an electrical budget? Buddy Cruising 3 August 19th 09 05:30 PM
Do you have an electrical budget? Buddy Electronics 0 August 6th 09 06:44 AM
There goes the budget JoeSpareBedroom General 4 June 25th 07 06:17 PM
US Sailing BUDGET Bart Senior ASA 2 March 22nd 06 06:47 PM
Toilet on a budget Stephen Trapani Cruising 9 May 18th 04 02:04 AM