Default Boating on a budget? That's for me!

On 1/5/12 1:56 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:06:48 -0500, X ` Man
wrote:

On 1/5/12 12:49 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:58:33 -0500, X ` Man
wrote:

I don't know what the average paycheck was back then.

In the 50s my father made about $5,000-6000 a year as a GS11 in the
government
That GS11 is probably about 12x that now and gas is 17x

In 1963, at a summer job through the Teamsters, I was earning about
$7.00 an hour loading skids of razor blades and shaving cream onto
semi-truck trailers. It was a semi-skilled job (I ran a forklift), so
probably paid below the "average" paycheck in those days. It was higher
than many of the workers at the factory, but lower than the guys who set
up and maintained the machinery. Shick used to sell us packages of
blades for a nickel each...that sure deterred theft. I'd load up before
the semester started and then resell the blades on campus for half the
price at the local markets. :) I also sold and delivered doughnuts,
picked up drycleaning and delivered pizzas, though not all at the same
time. College was cheap back then and it was not difficult to pay most
of your own expenses.

I was a Teamster in 1962, making a third of that. You must had a
heluva contract. I was only making $2.50 an hour at IBM in 1966

I made a buck more the following year loading beer delivery trucks at a
local brewery. The third summer I got placed through the Boilermakers
union and did a little better learning to clean out and repair huge
boilers that came back to the factory on rail flatcars. Through the mid
1960's, the New Haven area was a hotbed of manufacturing and plants
competed for workers who were willing to work.

The boiler factory job was the toughest job physically I ever had.
Climbing into boilers in the hot summer sun to clean tubes and and and
reweld was enough to make me sweat and feel like Niagara Falls every day.

The boiler company paid in cash every Friday at 3 pm. An armored car
would come onto the property and hand out pay envelopes.

The end of my junior year, my dad got me a job with Ruger Firearms. Bill
Ruger was a customer and friend of his. In fact, Ruger had a Porsche
Speedster and when he came by to visit my dad, he let me drive it around
the marina. But I didn't take that job...I was hired by the Kansas City
Star to start working that summer as a reporter, and I worked there and
then when my senior year of college started, I was asked if I wanted to
work through my final two semesters. Of course I did. So I was on campus
a couple of days a week for classes but from 4 pm to 12:30 am, I was a
newspaperman. Great days and great memories.

wrote:

[...]

I was a Teamster in 1963, making a third of that. You must had a
heluva contract. I was only making $2.50 an hour at IBM in 1966

=============================
Seems like Harry raked in the money. 1964 in school apprentice for NCR was
$95 a week. When I graduated 36 weeks school I made $120 a week. Very good
pay. My girlfriend at the time was an RN and and assistant head nurse for
the orthopedic floor and made $376 a month. Me thinks an apprentice
forklift driver was making a lot less than $210 / week. My stepfather was a
college Prof. and made about $16k a year.

On 1/4/2012 9:30 PM, Tim wrote:

Yeah, beats driving 120 miles to 6 flags and paying $50 bucks each to
get in then end up standing on hot asphalt waiting an hr to ride some
whirlie-gig and eat $5.00 hotdogs....

How would you know ?? I just don't see you doing the 6 flags thing...

Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 4, 9:49*pm, JustWait wrote:
On 1/4/2012 9:30 PM, Tim wrote:

Yeah, beats driving 120 miles to 6 flags and paying $50 bucks each to
get in then end up standing on hot asphalt waiting an hr to ride some
whirlie-gig and eat $5.00 hotdogs....

How would you know *?? * I just don't see you doing the 6 flags thing...

Well, I did... you won't see me doing it again....

On 1/4/2012 11:05 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:49 pm, wrote:
On 1/4/2012 9:30 PM, Tim wrote:

Yeah, beats driving 120 miles to 6 flags and paying $50 bucks each to
get in then end up standing on hot asphalt waiting an hr to ride some
whirlie-gig and eat $5.00 hotdogs....

How would you know ?? I just don't see you doing the 6 flags thing...

Well, I did... you won't see me doing it again....

Ha, that must have been funny....
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 4, 10:08*pm, JustWait wrote:
On 1/4/2012 11:05 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jan 4, 9:49 pm, *wrote:
On 1/4/2012 9:30 PM, Tim wrote:

Yeah, beats driving 120 miles to 6 flags and paying $50 bucks each to
get in then end up standing on hot asphalt waiting an hr to ride some
whirlie-gig and eat $5.00 hotdogs....

How would you know *?? * I just don't see you doing the 6 flags thing...

Well, I did... you won't see me doing it again....

Ha, that must have been funny....

well, I don't know about 'funny' Scott, but getting a boat, even a
small boat, has proven to be a whole lot more fun and economical....

On 1/4/2012 9:30 PM, Tim wrote:

Yeah, beats driving 120 miles to 6 flags and paying $50 bucks each to
get in then end up standing on hot asphalt waiting an hr to ride some
whirlie-gig and eat $5.00 hotdogs....

How would you know *?? * I just don't see you doing the 6 flags thing...

I usd to pack up the family (5 of us) and make the anual trip to Mid-
America south of St.Louis, starting out at 7am, by the time we were
donefighting the crowds, heat, and walking all over the place... when
we finally got home about 8-9pm, we wondered really what kind of fun
we actually had for $300.00 .

Now, even the little 18 ft. Chris craft, we'd hook it up drive 60 mi
to Lake Carlyle , go tubing and swimming. If you got hot, you bailed
overboard for a while. Got hungry? made sandwich's in the boat. and
always had plenty of pop, juice, and bottle water aboard. When done,
load up, go home and think of the blast we had on less than a hundred
bucks. Time and money well spent.

On 1/4/2012 11:41 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:49 pm, wrote:
On 1/4/2012 9:30 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Well, that's the beauty of the small boats I made. They were designed to
be a cheap day on the water... We could go out for a day with a bag
lunch, a bucket of dry clothes, a few beers, and 6 gallons of gas.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
http://www.metro.us/newyork/life/art...ing-affordable

“Boats are a great investment for a family because it’s a way to
socialize and spend time together,” says Ellen Hopkins, a spokes*woman
for Discover Boating. “A lot of my friends who grew up boating said
that one of their best memories was going out with their dads on
Sundays and fishing — it’s a unique way to bond. It’s like a
minivacation, even just being on a kayak on the water.”

Yeah, beats driving 120 miles to 6 flags and paying $50 bucks each to
get in then end up standing on hot asphalt waiting an hr to ride some
whirlie-gig and eat $5.00 hotdogs....
Having lived on my boat for the last 40 years has enabled me to semi retire in my mid 20's and work only a month or less a year since then, the rest of my time being play time. I have owned my own home , debt free since my early 20s, something that would have been impossible on land.
No regrets , if I had it to so again, I would do the same.

Do you have an electrical budget? Buddy Cruising 3 August 19th 09 05:30 PM
Do you have an electrical budget? Buddy Electronics 0 August 6th 09 06:44 AM
There goes the budget JoeSpareBedroom General 4 June 25th 07 06:17 PM
US Sailing BUDGET Bart Senior ASA 2 March 22nd 06 06:47 PM
Toilet on a budget Stephen Trapani Cruising 9 May 18th 04 02:04 AM