Default Do you have an electrical budget?

Do you have a "Electrical Budget"?

Have you ever sat down and figured out how much power you would need
over a 3 day period if the grid went down? If you did, have you ever
tested that budget?

I recall a story of a group that had only one days worth of oil to
light the temple, but due to divine intervention it lasted 7 days.

Here is a paragraph from a Solar Power Project Paper (available for
free at www.freeradiobook.org ) that explains the concept from the
solar power design ideals end of the spectrum. It can easily be
applied to our power needs as well.

Matching Solar Modules With Your Needs
Many boat owners are disappointed when they learn the real-life energy
economics; the size of the panels needed, the effect of partial
shading, temperature, and the hours of available sunlight. Our
Technical Sales staff are often asked to help size a solar system,
and they find that boaters usually overestimate what solar panels can
produce and underestimate their electrical needs. Make a list of the
appliances on your boat, get the amperage (Amps = Watts ÷ Voltage) and
estimate the operating hours to get weekly amp hours for each device.
You can then create an estimate of your “electrical budget” and size
your system correctly.
Do you have a power budget, and can you stick to it?

"Buddy" wrote in message
Do you have a "Electrical Budget"?

Have you ever sat down and figured out how much power you would need
over a 3 day period if the grid went down? If you did, have you ever
tested that budget?

(clip)
Do you have a power budget, and can you stick to it?

Yes, see prior posts on the subject :{))

Well, actually, we keep reducing it as we replace some items with more
energy efficient ones, and we found we didn't use some things nearly as much
as we had expected...

L8R

Skip, still refitting but getting close

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 6, 12:43*am, Buddy wrote:
Do you have a "Electrical Budget"?

Hi Skip are ya still enjoying fixing stuff all the time or is the fun
wearing thin yet?

Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 12:43 am, Buddy wrote:
Do you have a "Electrical Budget"?

Hi Skip are ya still enjoying fixing stuff all the time or is the fun
wearing thin yet?

Bob

LOL :{))

Not much fixing. Mostly cosmetic. Lydia's climbing the walls and exploding
from time to time, but it's all frustration and exhaustion.

Couple minor fixemups still on the list, along with improvements. Still
fun, as I get to do the problem solving and the resolution is always
satisfying.

But we'll be outta here in a few weeks, after first taking a minimum of a
week's decompression time before sailing with my two oldest grandkids, both
girls, who will decide if they liked it enough to make the Bahamas crossing
with us...

L8R

Skip, not on a work boat, but definitely working on the boat

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Free the Budget! Zombie of Woodstock General 11 July 21st 09 03:17 AM
There goes the budget JoeSpareBedroom General 4 June 25th 07 06:17 PM
US Sailing BUDGET Bart Senior ASA 2 March 22nd 06 06:47 PM
electrical generator - out of an electrical trolling motor??? Mic Electronics 12 May 10th 05 05:52 PM
Toilet on a budget Stephen Trapani Cruising 9 May 18th 04 02:04 AM